Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does Life Begin At 40?

Started by Konki, April 14, 2018, 03:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Nope. You've done all the good stuff in your 20s, the 30s breeze by ok, then things start deteriorating, health problems escalate, you see 'love' as Hollywood BS as relationship after relationship  fails, and life enters a darker phase, and it just gets worse. YMMV, hope this helps x

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As we have seen from people's mortality on the forum lately, being alive in some shape or form beats the next best thing on offer.

Survive, adapt, find outlets of expression and company. But survive above all else.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 15, 2018, 09:14:57 AM
As we have seen from people's mortality on the forum lately, being alive in some shape or form beats the next best thing on offer.

Survive, adapt, find outlets of expression and company. But survive above all else.

Yes.

Where's that stoic thread?

littlenell

Life begins at birth, or conception...can of worms oops

However, my life seems to be happiest right now, at 45. Well whaddya know, maybe life just slowly improves until at least 45 xx

littlenell

Having just read the bad news about Michael I question my glib post above. So sad.

Icehaven

I turned 39 a few days ago so have naturally been thinking about the next birthday. I think it's a big fat YMMV really isn't it? I know/have known some people who've been middle-aged since their late 20s and some teenaged 50somethings so I guess it's a combination of circumstance, health and what you make it.

littlenell

I agree icehaven.Ive still got a childish streak that I realise will always be there. As long as we can still be curious and ready to learn/grow and be wrong, then I guess we can swerve turning into the type of old grumpy square we all dread becoming.

I hated turning 40. One does have an unpleasant sense that youth is being left behind, and as that is all you've ever known it is somewhat discombobulating.
Once the inevitable has happened and acceptance has sunk in, one feels a new sense of relaxation. You're back at the start of a new decade. 40 is the new 30. Old people still occasionally refer to you as 'that young man/lady (depending on their eyesight/your androgeny level). More than anything, further emotional development ensues, which on the whole brings one to a happier, more chilled and less sensitive to pleasing others type of mindset.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: littlenell on April 15, 2018, 02:33:33 PM
I agree icehaven.Ive still got a childish streak that I realise will always be there. As long as we can still be curious and ready to learn/grow and be wrong, then I guess we can swerve turning into the type of old grumpy square we all dread becoming.

I hated turning 40. One does have an unpleasant sense that youth is being left behind, and as that is all you've ever known it is somewhat discombobulating.
Once the inevitable has happened and acceptance has sunk in, one feels a new sense of relaxation. You're back at the start of a new decade. 40 is the new 30. Old people still occasionally refer to you as 'that young man/lady (depending on their eyesight/your androgeny level). More than anything, further emotional development ensues, which on the whole brings one to a happier, more chilled and less sensitive to pleasing others type of mindset.

If anything, that childlike streak makes me more disconnected from my peers than ever before. My mind wants things my body can no longer deliver.

manticore

I'm nearly 56 and what fascinates me is how different a lot of middle-aged people are now from when I was young. In the 70s they seemed to fall into the role so willingly. Everything - their dress, manner, way of speaking, views of life, taste in music etc etc seemed to fit. Now there quite a few people of around my age who aren't much diferent from people in their early thirties.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, I don't get out much. There are plenty of tory-voting old shits obviously, I suppose I don't have to actually interact with them very much.

Paul Calf

I operate solely in base-32.

18 was a bitch for me.

littlenell

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 15, 2018, 02:50:07 PM
If anything, that childlike streak makes me more disconnected from my peers than ever before. My mind wants things my body can no longer deliver.

Yeah, I know what you mean, although your peers are presumably share your age (give/take) 5 years. At least you can connect on the basis of age related physical limitation. Not much of a comfort I know ha ha. It might be time for you/me to assess the feasibility of becoming functional heroin addicts. Feel no pain, feel much happier, socially adept, so much less physical harm than the other legal/illegal drugs, life expectancy barely reduced (If cautious), and when it all comes on top in about 30 years just see yourself off with a nice fat hit No recovery or meetings for us! Starting to convince myself heh heh.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: littlenell on April 15, 2018, 06:30:23 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean, although your peers are presumably share your age (give/take) 5 years. At least you can connect on the basis of age related physical limitation. Not much of a comfort I know ha ha.

Oof! Bleak. Funnily enough, my mum, who is in her 80s, won't go to one of those pensioners' groups because she worries it'll be full of old people she won't have anything in common with going on about their ailments.

QuoteIt might be time for you/me to assess the feasibility of becoming functional heroin addicts. Feel no pain, feel much happier, socially adept, so much less physical harm than the other legal/illegal drugs, life expectancy barely reduced (If cautious), and when it all comes on top in about 30 years just see yourself off with a nice fat hit No recovery or meetings for us! Starting to convince myself heh heh.

The future's bright. The future's Brown.

TrenterPercenter

Life don't begin at 40 you dummies, you ain't born when you are 40 are ya.

I think I'm actually getting younger, playing some of the best footy and hitting the gym more regularly than I ever have at 37 (bit worried about this overnight knees falling off at 40 someone was talking about).  I think wherever you are at enjoy it or at least try and make the most of it, and you certainly don't have to do that by becoming some self-obsessed Randian.  Having the capacity to care for others is a beautiful and rewarding trait.

Also as my dad had prostate cancer I've been told I have to have the finger up the batty at 40 so there is always that to look forward too.

Life sharts at 40 more like.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on April 15, 2018, 06:44:38 PM
I've been told I have to have the finger up the batty at 40 so there is always that to look forward too.

Life sharts at 40 more like.

The future's bright. The future's brown.

littlenell

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 15, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
The future's bright. The future's brown.

This made me laugh. Bingo, you gone done and connected with a peer :)

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: king_tubby on April 14, 2018, 08:35:57 PM
I had a kid at 41. Dunno about life beginning, but life has certainly been turned right upside down.

try 51, then 53. I can just about pick them both up at once (they're now four & two) but I fucking know about it the next day.

putting them through college is going to be a laugh. for whomever does it. :-/

Crabwalk

I've been 40 for 5 months and at this precise moment I'm listening to 'The Best of Michael McDonald', bought yesterday on vinyl for 99p from Barnardo's.

I think that speaks volumes.

Cerys

I'm twenty-five and that has just been autocorrected by my Kindle.  I'm actually forty-five.  The fact that technology chooses to claim that I'm younger probably means something very profound.  Also I have a biopic arse.  Bionic.

I love my Kindle.

Cerys

I can't tell you.  It won't let me.

Johnny Yesno

Desirable Industrial Unit

28's the fucker for some reason, and it's not even considered a 'big' birthday.  That one was a bit of struggle, but 30 and 40 sailed right by.

We're getting better at aging, the old rules no longer apply.  I work with some people in their mid-70s who I'd assumed were about 20 years younger until they told me they had an upcoming birthday.  40 is nothing unless you've abused your body, lungs and liver to the extent I have oh fuck

Chairman Bodog

I doubt I'll make it to the three ohs. Liver and lug lungs will ebonize a shit shade of jolly golly and I'll clean blow my smarties in as soon as I find a hunting licence.

Cerys

That's a very niche fetish you have there, Chairman.

Chairman Bodog

Gaps need filling. What's your number?

Cerys

Chairman Bodog

RedRevolver

Good on you for feeling really positive, it's great to be able to achieve new starts. I don't know what you're embarking on, but if it's a radical change then really very well done for doing it and being so optimistic.

That said, I'm 26 in two months and I don't think I can really restart anything. I'm of the opinion life starts at birth and ends when you die, whenever and however that's achieved. I'm aiming for dead within the year, might start drinking just to achieve that goal. Comedy writing's never going to be a thing I can do when I've felt so terminally depressed for so long.

Chairman Bodog

You thought about writing more tragedy?