Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:16:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Self written IMDB profiles

Started by Famous Mortimer, April 15, 2018, 01:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2695030/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Jeff Espanol, who made a vanity project movie with David Carradine, Darryl Hannah and a few other people, which never got finished but is finally coming out apparently?

QuoteHe can often be spotted today in Washington, Los Angeles, London, Paris, and Rome, smoking his cigar and rubbing shoulders with famous politicians and bankers. Being apolitical himself, allows him the freedom to be total liberal in his vision of the world.

QuoteOn a shoestring budget and being very resourceful, he gained the support of many people and made a long film 'In The Sky' which was chosen in the official competition at the prestigious Paris festival in 2003. The 90 minute film was in english and received a 20 minute standing ovation.

You know, the Paris festival! The prestigious one!

QuoteJeff Espanol started his 2nd film project in 2007 in the USA. One of the leading american actors passed away which suspended the filming.

Did David Carradine's name escape him for a moment?

Anyway, do you have any favourites in this excellent literary sub-genre?

BlodwynPig

"in the sky" is not listed in his credits

Shaky

Ha, that's amazing. Always very telling when the photos show the artist/director milling around trying to look like a big shot while having very little product to show for it. And Faye Dunaway doesn't even get a credit!

SavageHedgehog

Seems like Frank Stallone's bio page is self-written, though sadly it seems the claim which used to be included about him being "considered for a nomination for an academy award" for Barfly is no longer on there.

I remember Steve Guttenberg's IMDB page used to mention he was an "avid dog owner".

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 15, 2018, 02:41:35 PM
Seems like Frank Stallone's bio page is self-written, though sadly it seems the claim which used to be included about him being "considered for a nomination for an academy award" for Barfly is no longer on there.

I remember Steve Guttenberg's IMDB page used to mention he was an "avid dog owner".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAv500Q6bfA

QuoteBEST IN ENTERTAINMENT, Inc. presents Frank Stallone! Seldom has a performer been strongly considered for an Academy Award in both acting and music, yet Frank Stallone has managed to pull it off. His fiery portrayal of a brutish bartender Eddie in the film Barfly had Hollywood insiders abuzz at Oscar time, and his #1 hit Far From Over, from the film Staying Alive, was likewise touted for a 'Best Song' nomination.

BlodwynPig

Bazooka

QuoteOn a shoestring budget and being very resourceful, he gained the support of many people and made a long film 'In The Sky' which was chosen in the official competition at the prestigious Paris festival in 2003. The 90 minute film was in english and received a 20 minute standing ovation.

Bang on 20 minutes and in English? Impressive on many terms.

Icehaven

Famous Mortimer

Versatile? You mean can I do the thumbs up with either hand? Why of course!

marquis_de_sad

From Frank Stallone's wikipedia:

QuoteHe attracted national attention by posting vulgar tweets which disparaged the Parkland student activists and in which he urged somebody to sucker punch activist David Hogg; Stallone apologized for his posts a few days later.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on April 15, 2018, 07:13:11 PM
From Frank Stallone's wikipedia:

when are people going to realise apologise mean nothing in cases like these. That's his character, not a slip up or typo.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Frank Stallone's Far From Over didn't reach # 1, its highest chart placing in the US was # 10. The man is a flat-out thumbs-aloft liar.

His far more successful brother may be a total prick for all I know, but I very much doubt that he's on IMDB right now amending the entry for Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot to make it look like it was a critical and commercial smash.

He also doesn't have to pretend that he was almost nominated for an Academy Award, because he's been nominated three times. Not that Frank is bitter about that, of course.

Custard

This is an author, and it's on Amazon, but blimey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nigel-Cawthorne/e/B001HD13P0/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

QuoteNigel Cawthorne is the author of some eighty books - and a major contributor to at least twenty more. He lives in a flat girlfriends have described as a book-writing factory in Bloomsbury, London's literary area, and writes in the great British Library, which is supposed to be one of the best pick-up joints in London. However, his reputation is such that people will tell you he is more often seen drinking in Soho's famous bohemian watering hole, the French pub - still known to some denizens as the Yorkminster - with a beautiful young woman on his arm.

Povidone

Im sure the Vincent Price look is always a hit with the ladies.

spamwangler

Quote from: Shameless Custard on April 16, 2018, 11:54:45 AM
Nigel Cawthorne is the author of some eighty books - and a major contributor to at least twenty more. He lives in a flat girlfriends have described as a book-writing factory in Bloomsbury, London's literary area, and writes in the great British Library, which is supposed to be one of the best pick-up joints in London. However, his reputation is such that people will tell you he is more often seen drinking in Soho's famous bohemian watering hole, the French pub - still known to some denizens as the Yorkminster - with a beautiful young woman on his arm.

or, of course you could just be ronnie hotdogs

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

phantom_power

Yes. That makes me laugh every time I read it. Brevity really is the soul of wit

imitationleather

This is an author, and it's on Amazon, but blimey

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nigel-Cawthorne/e/B001HD13P0/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

My word. That is a great find.

I had to go and read some of his stuff and looked at his Tia Sharp book. On the first page he mentions at least eight (I got bored and stopped counting) other child murder cases, and still somehow devotes more page space to the London Olympics than Tia Sharp. Extreme level padding. It's like doing an essay in 18pt font size and hoping that will make the teacher think you've written enough.

spamwangler

He lives in a flat girlfriends have described as a book-writing factory in Bloomsbury

he lives in an abandoned factory, dosent he?

Cuellar

imitationleather

Quote from: spamwangler on April 20, 2018, 11:25:09 AM
he lives in an abandoned factory, dosent he?

I was thinking about this last night. He must be independently wealthy, because I can't imagine writing eight or so eBooks a year is going to sustain a London lifestyle. But it also most likely leaves barely any time to do anything else. If he was living off eBooks he wouldn't be able to afford to live in the worst bedsit in Bloomsbury, and drinking in The French House all the time? Forget it! If his biography is slightly true, and not just him role-playing the life of a writer living in London fifty years ago, he must be totally fucking loaded. I bet he's a landlord or something.

Reading about him did make me feel slightly better about Soho being bulldozed to build flats for rich people to live in.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Povidone on April 17, 2018, 04:22:55 AM
Im sure the Vincent Price look is always a hit with the ladies.

Especially in the security queue to get in the BL at 9.30 am (10 am on Mondays)

George White

4 words - Terry Nemeroff, Aaron Michael Lacey

spamwangler

review for 2005 film The Dark:

Look, I would just like to add my voice to this. I wrote the novel, Sheep. The film is 'adapted' from my book the exact same way a pile of rubble is 'adapted' from a house. My book is a slow, serious thriller on the theme of contamination, of land, of food, of livestock, and of minds. It is about ritual purity, conformism and the category-error that is literal biblical belief. It is, in short, about something. None (NONE!) of the filmmakers had read it, they just had a script based on another script, and were highly indignant when my agent suggested they actually read the original.

The film takes some of the visual gestures that animate the book (sheep diseases, religious mania etc), but then scoops out all the surrounding connective tissue, everything that makes the book make sense, replacing it with some kind of pulp which looks to me as if the writer was shaken violently awake in the middle of the night and asked to regurgitate the story lines from the last five horror movies he had seen, except his notes got all scrambled up - the result being a sort of plot-pudding, full of screaming and running about and unexplained (unexplainable) twists.

No disrespect to anyone, and I know what sort of pressures the screenwriter was under, but the film does not, in any sense, 'adapt' Sheep, the novel. Sheep is a careful, thoughtful book, with a meticulously worked plot. It is also (I am informed) scary (one reviewer said it was the only thing he had ever read which did actually scare him), which the film of course, despite its most strenuous efforts, fails completely to be. The book is not about some vague Disneyfied version of Welsh mythology (nice and safe and distant in these troubled times), it is about Christianity, the Bible: about what happens when religion turns to madness. The scariness is in the waiting, the hinting, the accumulation of detail, drip by drip. It is about fearing, dreading, while something unfolds which cannot be understood until it is too late. I may not have succeeded in any of this, but I was trying. The film just flaps about from one random thing to another, papering over the cracks with tiresome 'shock' effects and Maria Bello screaming.

Copies of Sheep are hard to track down now without paying a lot of money, but I would love it if the people who were disappointed in the film were to read the book. Please don't judge the book (or any of my other books) because you didn't like The Dark: there is almost nothing connecting the two things. Give the book a try: you'll be surprised.

Thanks for your time.

George White

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2751134/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv  I love an imdb trivia being used to explain the history of an amateur production, starring David Burt not the WestEndactor.