Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:00:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Rise & Fall & Rise & Fall of Reginald Corbyn: The 20th CaB Corbyn thread

Started by BlodwynPig, April 15, 2018, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Endicott on June 20, 2018, 09:23:43 AM
There will be a lot of positioning going on to ensure people like whatshername's husband who produces medicinal cannabis for export can make the most money out of it in the UK market. They need to be ready so they can jump in and grab those contracts from the get go.

It's like the thing of people suddenly buying houses in the late 90s because they could sense what would happen to the prices.

They scare me, people like that.

Paul Calf

They're either boring, tight-arsed cunts who've set up text messages to alert them every time their wallets are opened and wouldn't give you the time of day for free or they lucked into buying 'at the right time' and now think they're Gordon fucking Gecko.

Paul Calf

If you want to make money, it's easy. Stupidly easy. All you have to do is care about literally no-one or nothing else. Sell all your possessions for as much as you can get, buy some more and do it again. Sell out everyone you've ever known. Go and get a low-status job for an oil or chemical company that gives third-world children cancer or an investment bank that sucks money out of the working classes and presents it on a platter to people who are already obscenely wealthy and work your way up by shitting all over your colleagues. Rip people off with bullshit self-help books and health supplements.

Most people don't like money enough to do this.

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 20, 2018, 10:19:23 AM
They're either boring, tight-arsed cunts who've set up text messages to alert them every time their wallets are opened and wouldn't give you the time of day for free or they lucked into buying 'at the right time' and now think they're Gordon fucking Gecko.

YOU'RE NOT EVEN GORDON FUCKING GOPHER, MATE.

That's what they get from me as I walk past them on a Monday morning.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Danger Man on June 20, 2018, 11:01:18 AM
The quickest way to wealth is to despise wealth

I think sir might be placing the cart before the horse.

Buelligan

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on June 20, 2018, 11:30:00 AM
Seneca should have stuck to constipation remedies.

That would surely be a form of constipation in itself.

Zetetic

Swansea Tidal Lagoon binned then.

There's a stupid part of me that hoped that the Tories might have been relenting on the austerity guff at this point if only to help scrape the next election.

Replies From View

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-44589083

QuoteMinisters said the £1.3bn project was not value for money

Yes we have far more important things to throw billions of pounds at, like Brexit and the DUP.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: biggytitbo on June 23, 2018, 11:28:36 PM
True

Not sure about this. They're triangulating on Brexit, they happily wave through a lot of the government's law and order stuff too when we know his and Abbott's positions would be different if they were on the backbenches.

Both of which are signs that he's interested in power, rather than purity imo and are not necessarily bad things.

What he won't do is do the awful bullshit a lot of political candidates find themselves doing. He didn't pretend he'd be watching the Royal Wedding, he won't pose with a special front page of the Sun or any shit like that. That's part of the authenticity, he won't lie to us.

Paul Calf

Yeah. This sort of thing worries me; politics is the art of the possible and we're going to see a massive backlash if people are primed to expect the impossible.

Jockice

Quote from: Paul Calf on June 26, 2018, 11:48:27 AM
Yeah. This sort of thing worries me; politics is the art of the possible and we're going to see a massive backlash if people are primed to expect the impossible.

Yeah, but what about Brexit? He promised to get rid of it by forcing through a parliamentary majority he doesn't have. Blah blah bloody blah.

pancreas

He absolutely slaughtered her at PMQs. Labour attacking Tories for their lack of support for (big) business.

Blinder Data

Quote from: https://twitter.com/steve_hawkesJeremy Corbyn's spokesman says "it's not Brexit as an abstract itself that is putting jobs at risk but the Government's shambolic approach to Brexit"

Getting progressively sick of Corbyn and his advisers' mild enthusiasm for Brexit.

pancreas

Guardian verdict: Andrew Sparrow fails to understand what he is watching

pancreas

Kelvin

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 27, 2018, 03:30:50 PM
Getting progressively sick of Corbyn and his advisers' mild enthusiasm for Brexit.

If we want people to blame the Tories for the Brexit fallout, then at some point Labour need to start pinning the harmful policies on Tories, and not on a concept of Brexit that isn't (widely considered to be) aligned with a single party. The public will not blame the Tories for what happens next if those issues are not established as their fault.

Zetetic

pancreas

Quote from: Zetetic on June 27, 2018, 09:42:27 PM
After the Fall - Ten Years After the Crash, from the LRB inevitably.

Did you find anything it in which you didn't know? I'm not the greatest fan of John Lanchester and it looks like broad-brush drivel.

Zetetic

I'm not terribly convinced by some of the political handwaving, but I thought that it was a pretty reasonable run down of the immediate vulnerabilities in banking (etc.) and the lack of any progress on these in the last decade (in favour of arsing about with austerity).

I think you're probably right that there's nothing new to me in there. Maybe the scale of shadow banking, in fairness. (Edit: And there's stuff about the banking system which I might have known, but which I can't bear to keep in my head - I was glad of it as a re-primer on parts of that.)

I'm thinking of sending it to my mother - that's probably the briefest way I can think to describe whether I think it's any use.

Zetetic

It's clearly written by someone intent on trying to fix up the current state of affairs (like Piketty, really) rather than overhaul it, which might wind some people up.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 27, 2018, 03:30:50 PM

Me, too. I (and my dad) have long been the "Corbynistas" in my family, but I think we're both getting progressively sick of finding ways to defend Corbyn's approach to all this. I've given up on the "oh he's applying the long game" approach.

This article sums up my misgivings right now.

pancreas

Nev, that article is written by an #FBPE cunt and is opinion dressed up as analysis. Look at his twitter.

QuoteLabour knows this and Corbyn is in a bind. He knows that his unexpected performance in the 2017 General Election was largely down to voters abandoning Ukip in favour of Labour. While he's paralysed by the fear that they might flip again, he's laying back and allowing the Tories to push ahead with their damaging plans.

This is simply not true. UKIP split 2/3 Tory to 1/3 Labour.

From the FT.

QuoteWho benefited from the Ukip collapse

One narrative that emerged as the campaign wore on was the mass migration of 2015 Ukip voters to the Conservatives. A tipping point came in early May when more 2015 Ukip supporters said they intended to vote for Theresa May's party than Paul Nuttall's.

In the final days of the campaign, Labour appeared to be getting a Ukip boost of their own, suggesting the benefits might be spread equally between both parties, but the results suggest the Tories were the clear winners in this regard.

On a seat-by-seat basis, Ukip losses were extremely closely associated with Conservative gains, and the relationship grows even stronger after adjusting for the EU referendum result.

I'm sorry he's not acting your poster-boy for the obviously flawed EU, but Corbyn cannot win when he doesn't have the parliamentary numbers.

Despite that, they have given it their best shot at every turn, amendment by amendment. They won one vote for a vote on the final deal. If you want to turn your ire on someone, turn it on Labour leavers like Flint, Field and Hoey, or any number of Tory scum, including Grieve.

The best hope to kill Brexit, or at least soften it, is to get the Conservatives out of government, and being vague on Labour's Brexit policy, while doing their best to extract concessions from the government while the opposition is strong, is the best strategy.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Zetetic on June 27, 2018, 10:48:31 PM
It's clearly written by someone intent on trying to fix up the current state of affairs (like Piketty, really) rather than overhaul it, which might wind some people up.

It's not even that, is it? Isn't he just looking for a new way to market plutocracy?

Zetetic

I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to draw there is.

Arguably trying to just fix wealth taxation is about shoring the status quo up, I can see that - making 'plutocracy' more tolerable by slightly tempering it.

Replies From View

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on June 28, 2018, 07:18:28 AM
Me, too. I (and my dad) have long been the "Corbynistas" in my family, but I think we're both getting progressively sick of finding ways to defend Corbyn's approach to all this. I've given up on the "oh he's applying the long game" approach.

This article sums up my misgivings right now.

The thing about Brexit though is that there's nothing to actually respond to yet.  Everything is at a constant standstill of one kind or another.  I think that's the energy that some people have now transferred over to Corbyn, and I'm not entirely sure it's fair.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Zetetic on June 28, 2018, 07:47:46 AM
I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to draw there is.

Arguably trying to just fix wealth taxation is about shoring the status quo up, I can see that.

Ah, apologies. Just re-read the end of the article looking for the relevant passage and realised that I'd conflated it with another long article on a similar subject that I also read yesterday.