Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:50:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Rise & Fall & Rise & Fall of Reginald Corbyn: The 20th CaB Corbyn thread

Started by BlodwynPig, April 15, 2018, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: Darles Chickens on April 20, 2018, 12:20:51 PM
Unfortunately, I'd have to say my experience says otherwise.  Many people act in a selfish and lazy manner; things like environmental issues and waste don't matter a bit to them, and if 5p is the cost of convenience then so be it.  If they can blame the EU for it, even better (my parents).  I honestly don't think a token charge like that is going to change how people conduct their lives.  They need to take a leaf out of France's book and just stop selling disposable bags altogether or charge more than the average person would be prepared to pay for them except in emergency (thus making reusable bags even more enticing an option).

Fair enough. From my anecdotal experience, I've noticed far fewer people walking around with the 5p bags and barely any blowing around and stuck to trees or around children's necks choking them when they're trying to play and that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
Here, they only have the "expensive" 1.50€ish reusable bags available for sale at the till, there is no other option, it seems to work perfectly well.
Buelligan outside a Super-U, earlier

Fambo Number Mive

A lot of the time is it because they are selfish and lazy or because the only time they have to go to the shops is after work/school?

I do always reuse my plastic bags for charity donations so it's not like I waste them, but sometimes I don't have time to go home and get my plastic bags and go all the way out again if I get home t 7 and the supermarkets a bus ride away close at 8.

Should we split the plastic chat from the Corbyn chat?

Buelligan

If we're splitting the plastic, should we think about splitting the troll-chat too?  The last page or so, before we started on bags, was taken up with troll reminiscences.  I'm as much of a sucker for nostalgia as the next person but it's getting a bit rich for my blood (being polite here, do you see how reasonable I am fucking being about it everyone?). 

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 20, 2018, 12:25:27 PM
Buelligan outside a Super-U, earlier

You may laugh but those old bids know a thing or two about not destroying the planet.  And I love those little tartan trolleys you British have.  So rootsy.

Quote from: imitationleather on April 20, 2018, 12:23:23 PM
far less fewer people

"That'll silence the pedants..." 8-)

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 20, 2018, 12:25:49 PM
A lot of the time is it because they are selfish and lazy or because the only time they have to go to the shops is after work/school?

Even if it were, it's hardly difficult to take your reusable shopping bags with you when you're going to go straight on to the shops.  Like I say, it just requires people to think in a different way.  Life these days is so convenient and we're used to having everything so easy, but as a result we've become lazy.  My Dad finds recycling a pain (and doesn't believe in climate change either), but the other day he was recounting how it used to be in the 40s and 50s when he was a kid: drinks sold in refundable, reusable glass bottles, veggies from the greengrocer without packaging, and it made me think how people's attitudes were generally more environmentally friendly back then, because life was just that bit tougher.  We need to embrace the convenience of modern life but not be an idiot about it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Darles Chickens on April 20, 2018, 12:39:54 PM
"That'll silence the pedants..." 8-)

Even if it were, it's hardly difficult to take your reusable shopping bags with you when you're going to go straight on to the shops.  Like I say, it just requires people to think in a different way.  Life these days is so convenient and we're used to having everything so easy, but as a result we've become lazy.  My Dad finds recycling a pain (and doesn't believe in climate change either), but the other day he was recounting how it used to be in the 40s and 50s when he was a kid: drinks sold in refundable, reusable glass bottles, veggies from the greengrocer without packaging, and it made me think how people's attitudes were generally more environmentally friendly back then, because life was just that bit tougher.  We need to embrace the convenience of modern life but not be an idiot about it.

It isn't really to do with how tough life was. It's about how "efficient" life is now, i.e. nobody wants to pay someone a living wage to collect back those bottles or to pack those loose vegetables. It could be one of the benefits of ditching plastic packaging if it were to create more jobs.

Fambo Number Mive

It's pretty annoying to have to lug two or three reusable Sainsburys bags onto a crowded bus when heading for work, taking up more space as you squeeze past other people to get off, having to find a space to keep them at work (they don't fit in most people's bags) and then having to remember to take them with you when you get the crowded bus to the supermarket, which is fifteen minutes walk from the bus stop.

A lot of the time people don't realise they need shopping until they are on the way home from work they are so busy. They could wait until the weekend but they might have other things to do.

What would be better is if plastic bags were treated like bottles in Germany and you paid a deposit and got it back if you reused it seven times and/or recycled it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 20, 2018, 12:59:04 PM
It's pretty annoying to have to lug two or three reusable Sainsburys bags onto a crowded bus when heading for work, taking up more space as you squeeze past other people to get off, having to find a space to keep them at work (they don't fit in most people's bags) and then having to remember to take them with you when you get the crowded bus to the supermarket, which is fifteen minutes walk from the bus stop.

Ever tried folding them? The way you're talking they're already too full and heavy to be used for any further shopping.

QuoteA lot of the time people don't realise they need shopping until they are on the way home from work they are so busy. They could wait until the weekend but they might have other things to do.

A lot more of the time it seems this is not the case, as (apparently) only one in 10 are purchasing 5p bags as opposed to only one in 10 bringing their own bag before the charge.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/29/this-is-the-effect-that-the-5p-plastic-bag-chrge-has-had-6159334/

Blinder Data

Fambo, bring an empty rucksack with you to the shops. And keep your re-usable bags inside! Sorted.

Also I have a few reusable bags that fold away so they're are tiny when not used, they're ace

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2018, 12:34:47 PM
If we're splitting the plastic, should we think about splitting the troll-chat too?  The last page or so, before we started on bags, was taken up with troll reminiscences.  I'm as much of a sucker for nostalgia as the next person but it's getting a bit rich for my blood (being polite here, do you see how reasonable I am fucking being about it everyone?). 

If that means transferring the guff being routinely parped out by those trolls, then I'm all for it.

BlodwynPig

I have a giant plastic bag that connects from my fridge to the supermarket and an army of rats to convey the food along it (they are paid by a percentage of said food they may nibble at).

pancreas

Simon Norton is a famous mathematician, deeply autistic, who carries around large plastic bags full of bus and train timetables. He used to be the best way of navigating public transport, before google maps. Of course, Cambridge decided he wasn't pretty enough so he was quietly expunged once Conway had left.

Here is a book about him.

Buelligan

Quote from: NoSleep on April 20, 2018, 01:18:26 PM
Ever tried folding them? The way you're talking they're already too full and heavy to be used for any further shopping.

Exactly.  Everyone in this whole country does it.  You unpack your shopping, fold the bags and place them in the pocket of the coat you wear or in the bag you carry and when you go in the shop, you unfold the bags and carry them home full of shopping.  I've had my current reusable plastic bags doing this cycle for over four years.  It works well.

They look exactly like this

I'm thinking you have similar neatly-foldable bags available in the UK.

Zetetic

Quote from: imitationleather on April 20, 2018, 12:23:23 PM
Fair enough. From my anecdotal experience, I've noticed far fewer people walking around with the 5p bags and barely any blowing around and stuck to trees or around children's necks choking them when they're trying to play and that.
Also:
http://gov.wales/docs/desh/publications/130718behaviour-study-on-carrier-bags-summary-en.pdf
which found differences in single-use bag use between Scotland and Wales following introduction of the charge in Wales.

http://gov.wales/statistics-and-research/post-implementation-review-single-use-carrier-bag-charge-wales/?lang=en
which found differences before and after introduction of the charge in Wales.

Yeah.

Zetetic

Don't get me wrong, I'll be delighted when Darles Chickens' parents finally 'use' a single-use plastic bag for the last time, by being cremated and the remains placed in one, but thankfully they don't seem to be thoroughly representative of the vast majority of the public.

Buelligan

Don't worry, they don't really get cremated, they go and live on a lovely farm somewhere.

Adolf Hitler is 28.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotebring an empty rucksack with you to the shops. And keep your re-usable bags inside

I do this and I guess this typifies my success so far in life.

BlodwynPig

gib

plastic is a good thing to focus on when it comes to making things greener. Much more visible than CO2 and completely undeniable.

pigamus

A lot of supermarkets don't even have the single-use bags any more. My local Asda only has bags for life.

Replies From View

Curious how the trolls don't bother posting anything when the political threads are already off-topic.

Blumf

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Labour-outlines-housing-policy/45161
QuoteLabour would scrap right to buy, and give councils new borrowing freedoms and central funding in a bid to kick-start house building, the party said today.

In plans that put local authorities back at the heart of housing, Labour pledged to build a million 'genuinely affordable' homes over the next 10 years for social rent.

Nowt new, I think, but it should be popular with the masses of people locked out of home ownership after decades of housing mismanagement.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on April 21, 2018, 10:46:29 AM
Curious how the trolls don't bother posting anything when the political threads are already off-topic.

they're called bots nowadays, grandad.

tenmen

Britain Elects
Britain Elects
@britainelects
·
4h
May's lead over Corbyn as preferred Prime Minister grows to 14pts:

T. May: 39% (+2)
J. Corbyn: 25% (-1)

via @YouGov, 16 - 17 Apr
Chgs. w/ 10 Apr

Will anybody seriously say that Labour wouldn't be 10 points ahead if anyone other than Corbyn was in charge? How do you square that circle?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

When's the last time you mapped the topography of a clitoral hood?

tenmen

Labour are about 5% points behind the Tories, Corbyn is 14 behind may, and people say Labour are doing"so well" BECAUSE of Corbyn. Wtf? The most gaffe prone, inept government in modern history and you consider being behind by "only" a few points to be a success.

Paul Calf

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 21, 2018, 11:20:17 PM
Sure this isn't TFM, are we?

Either that or someone very similar on the same kind of smearing mission. 

Quite why CaB is worth targeting with this shit I'll never know, but TFM presumably had his reasons.

Buelligan

I'm just hoping the next one is a little brighter and maybe less repetitive. 

It is important to hear different opinions but it's absolutely not important to listen to idiots repeating the same, already addressed points, over and over again.  Such a fine line.