Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Rise & Fall & Rise & Fall of Reginald Corbyn: The 20th CaB Corbyn thread

Started by BlodwynPig, April 15, 2018, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 19, 2018, 10:07:48 AM
Which one do we think is TFM then?

Funny, I've been harbouring a suspicion that tenmen is TFM too - has the same penchant for asking loads of rhetorical questions; is claiming to be "no tory" but hates Corbyn (ie one of these "centrists" they have now); bit obsessed with this anti-semitism angle; fuckwit.

Replies From View

Quote from: colacentral on April 19, 2018, 11:17:07 AM
Funny, I've been harbouring a suspicion that tenmen is TFM too - has the same penchant for asking loads of rhetorical questions; is claiming to be "no tory" but hates Corbyn (ie one of these "centrists" they have now); bit obsessed with this anti-semitism angle; fuckwit.

That seems to be the baseline for all the trolls though, for some reason.

Are Paulie and tenmen the same person?  I have been assuming so.

Dr Rock

Quote from: NoSleep on April 19, 2018, 11:15:31 AM
I don't recall him denying what was happening, but his reaction was far from ideal. On the one hand tutting and shaking his head (much like our own toothless government), on the other making sick jokes about "free pale ale steins" on twitter during the time of a massacre of Palestinians.

He rejected that it was genocide, I remember shoving the definition in his stupid face.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Replies From View on April 19, 2018, 11:22:25 AM
That seems to be the baseline for all the trolls though, for some reason.

Are Paulie and tenmen the same person?  I have been assuming so.

One or both of them are black_bart and Milverton.

colacentral

Oh yeah, I forgot about that black_bart idiot. He's definitely tenmen. Says it all that I forgot he existed despite him wanting so badly to take the Milverton mantle.

imitationleather

I could never tell if black_bart was actually really dense or if he was just pretending to be as thick as two short planks so people would have to spend their time explaining really simple things to him.

Replies From View

Quote from: imitationleather on April 19, 2018, 04:23:54 PM
I could never tell if black_bart was actually really dense or if he was just pretending to be as thick as two short planks so people would have to spend their time explaining really simple things to him.

Trolls tread this line deliberately so that they seem vaguely plausible when they pull out the trusty "you are bullying me for holding a different opinion" argument.

I know.  Sad life innit.

thugler

Quote from: colacentral on April 19, 2018, 11:17:07 AM

Don't think so, TFM was more eloquent, and absolutely relentless in his posting.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on April 19, 2018, 09:19:08 AM
You shouldn't feed trolls.

you shouldn't bang on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about people you disagree with being trolls

Quote from: Replies From View on April 19, 2018, 04:42:38 PM
Trolls tread this line deliberately so that they seem vaguely plausible when they pull out the trusty "you are bullying me for holding a different opinion" argument.

I know.  Sad life innit.

yeah my life's terrible :D

king_tubby

Paul Calf

Liberal Democrats.

Why do people forget this and act all shocked when they behave like classical liberals?

idunnosomename

I still just take plastic bags and press zero bags used. Fuck the Lib Dems

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 19, 2018, 08:00:49 PM
I still just take plastic bags and press zero bags used. Fuck the Lib Dems

Every time you do that, a 'layer' is removed from your penis.

gib

Quote from: thugler on April 19, 2018, 05:23:57 PM
Don't think so, TFM was more eloquent, and absolutely relentless in his posting.

TFM was also pro remain so neither of these guys are TFM

Replies From View

NoSleep

I think self service will have to at least be rethought to accommodate the reduction of plastic waste. All those prepackaged bags of kale and spinach, rocket and baby-leaf salad are designed for minimal handling, extra shelf life and ease of sale. Every one of those bags are described as "not currently recycled".
And single use plastic bags will have to be banned outright (remember to bring bags of your own or buy a real shopping bag before you leave - minimum price £1).

bgmnts

Quote from: Replies From View on April 20, 2018, 11:03:31 AM
To be fair, paying 5p doesn't magically make a plastic bag environmentally friendly.

In the sense it discourages people from using more bags than they need surely it does.

Not if you steal them!

Anyway, my take on this is that 5p isn't really enough discouragement for people to avoid taking bags.  If it were, say, 50p, it'd be more likely to change the way people think about doing their shopping.  Just as recycling is second-nature to those of us whose bins are only collected once a fortnight.  What needs to change is people's attitudes.  It'd help if more people were actually in any way concerned about plastic littering the planet.

imitationleather

Quote from: Darles Chickens on April 20, 2018, 11:35:37 AM
Anyway, my take on this is that 5p isn't really enough discouragement for people to avoid taking bags.

The fact that the number of people using plastic bags, even including people taking them and not paying, has massively gone down suggests that the policy is working extremely well. Taking a bag without paying isn't really stealing in the traditional sense, but most still won't do it. If I hear someone is taking bags without paying it seems a bit pathetic to me. 50p is stupid because sometimes people do actually need a bag, but don't want to pull a Dr Rock. However in most cases a very small token charge is enough to make someone remember to take their own. Most people don't actually require an extremely punitive measure to be nudged into doing the right thing.

Buelligan

Here, they only have the "expensive" 1.50€ish reusable bags available for sale at the till, there is no other option, it seems to work perfectly well.

Zetetic

imitationleather

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
Here, they only have the "expensive" 1.50€ish reusable bags available for sale at the till, there is no other option, it seems to work perfectly well.

Same goes for the last time I was in Vienna (many years ago now).  People took their own shopping baskets to the shops and filled them up - there were no disposable bags available.  The point is that no one would contemplate going to the supermarket without taking something they could put their shopping into (unless it was for a couple of items).

Quote from: imitationleather on April 20, 2018, 11:58:34 AM
Most people don't actually require an extremely punitive measure to be nudged into doing the right thing.

Unfortunately, I'd have to say my experience says otherwise.  Many people act in a selfish and lazy manner; things like environmental issues and waste don't matter a bit to them, and if 5p is the cost of convenience then so be it.  If they can blame the EU for it, even better (my parents).  I honestly don't think a token charge like that is going to change how people conduct their lives.  They need to take a leaf out of France's book and just stop selling disposable bags altogether or charge more than the average person would be prepared to pay for them except in emergency (thus making reusable bags even more enticing an option).