Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Flat White Thread

Started by Buelligan, April 16, 2018, 09:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I'm sure everyone has seen this and no one here goes in Starbucks anyway but, if you do, don't.  Motherfuckers.

QuoteCoffee chain Starbucks has apologised after two black men were arrested while waiting for a friend at one of their shops in the US city of Philadelphia.
Amateur video shows police placing the pair, who were accused by shop staff of trespassing, in handcuffs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43776176

Philadelphia, famous as the City of Brotherly Love.

Shay Chaise

Yeah we read the news yesterday

Buelligan

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 16, 2018, 09:59:02 AM
Yeah we read the news yesterday

I don't know what you mean but I worked 11 hours straight (and got paid for four) yesterday, hope this helps.

Kelvin

There are tons of reasons not to use Starbucks, but I'm not convinced this is one of them. It's a reason why the manager of that store should be sacked, but it's presumably not emblematic of an entire company's attitude towards race, in the way that tax dodging is emblematic of their attitude towards paying their fair share.

Shay Chaise

I mean it was reported yesterday but OK if you're just catching up on the news. My advice is don't bother.

Pdine

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 16, 2018, 10:05:13 AM
I mean it was reported yesterday but OK if you're just catching up on the news. My advice is don't bother.

I always like advice from the self-declaredly ill-informed.

Buelligan

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 16, 2018, 10:05:13 AM

Yeah?  Maybe that's why I prefaced my remarks with

Quote from: Buelligan on April 16, 2018, 09:56:53 AM
I'm sure everyone has seen this and no one here goes in Starbucks anyway but ...

Thanks for permitting me to mention it though.  Much appreciated.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 16, 2018, 10:03:21 AM
There are tons of reasons not to use Starbucks, but I'm not convinced this is one of them. It's a reason why the manager of that store should be sacked, but it's presumably not emblematic of an entire company's attitude towards race, in the way that tax dodging is emblematic of their attitude towards paying their fair share.

As you kind of say though, Starbucks are not lovely as a company (so it's not a sin to make them suffer a little for their sins).  If that suffering reminds all the other mega-corporations to behave better, everyone's a winner (nearly everyone).

Shay Chaise

Quality. Assumed everyone read it and acknowledged it's not relevant.

And...Post.

Fambo Number Mive

The two men, whom she declined to identify, were taken to a police station, fingerprinted and photographed. One officer suggested that they faced charges for "defiant trespassing", Ms Wimmer said. They were held for nearly nine hours before they were released after prosecutors said they would not pursue charges.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/starbucks-police-boycott-black-men-arrest-philadelphia-racism-a8305381.html

tenmen

Quote from: Buelligan on April 16, 2018, 09:56:53 AM
I'm sure everyone has seen this and no one here goes in Starbucks anyway but, if you do, don't.  Motherfuckers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43776176

Philadelphia, famous as the City of Brotherly Love.

So you're judging an entire corporation based on the actions of a few bad apples within it?

The fact that this story has made headlines all over the States proves how none racist the country is. If it really was racist, wouldn't the press ignore it? I'm genuinely nauseated by people like you who turn fucking everything into a race issue and treat all black people as victims

Buelligan

Quote from: tenmen on April 16, 2018, 10:14:27 AM
I'm genuinely nauseated by people like you...

Excellent, I am genuinely feeling my day has been enhanced by this (and the reminder of how butthurt reminders of my existence make Shay feel for some reason).  Thanks both, life is sometimes so very unexpectedly sweet!

Kelvin

Quote from: Buelligan on April 16, 2018, 10:10:01 AM
As you kind of say though, Starbucks are not lovely as a company (so it's not a sin to make them suffer a little for their sins).  If that suffering reminds all the other mega-corporations to behave better, everyone's a winner (nearly everyone).

I mean, I guess? I just think we should hold them accountable for stuff their corporate structure is complicit in, rather than stuff they treat as unacceptable.

Buelligan

They don't treat it as totally unacceptable in that that this did actually happen in a Starbucks and the manager of that Starbucks did it and we all know that if it hadn't been filmed and posted round the world those guys would probably still have been released after 9 hours but that manager would carry on being paid by Starbucks. 

Utter Shit

As Kelvin says, I'm not really sure how you can pin this on Starbucks...they can't control every staff member's actions, and have taken the appropriate steps in the aftermath.

That said, if we're unable to get them on the tax issue or, more importantly, their absolute insistence on making their English breakfast tea taste of mint, then I'm happy to see them go to the wall for this even if it isn't their fault.

And Shay Chaise and tenmen are both being knobs, obviously.

Shay Chaise

Keep this to News and Politics, please. No need to get personal.

Buelligan

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 16, 2018, 10:35:47 AM
Keep this to News and Politics, please. No need to get personal.

Cunt.

Butchers Blind

I've never been to a Starbucks, how different is their coffee to Cafe Nero or Costa?

jobotic

Quote from: tenmen on April 16, 2018, 10:14:27 AM
So you're judging an entire corporation based on the actions of a few good apples within it?

The fact that this story has made headlines all over the States proves how none racist the country is. If it really was racist, wouldn't the press ignore it? I'm genuinely nauseated by people like you who turn fucking everything into a race issue and treat all black people as victims when they should all be treated as criminals

Own it you prick, stop being so coy.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 16, 2018, 10:41:52 AM
I've never been to a Starbucks, how different is their coffee to Cafe Nero or Costa?

about 17% more racist

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 16, 2018, 10:41:52 AM

Their actual beans are pretty good but I wouldn't be paying them to froth some cream up for me and put it in a cardboard cup.

pancreas

Quote from: Shay Chaise on April 16, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
Their actual beans are pretty good

Over-roasted Robusta-infested shite.

Icehaven

I once knew a guy with the surname Starbuck, and everyone thought it wasn't his real name but it was. 

bgmnts

Show me an ethical corporation and i'll show you full haired, fully functional CABer.

I have only used Starbucks once the past 12 months and that sas because the line for Greggs was ridiculously long.

Sebastian Cobb

Much like soda stream, I've been unintentionally boycotting them for years. You're welcome.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: pancreas on April 16, 2018, 10:54:19 AM
Over-roasted Robusta-infested shite.

I'll take your word for it. They were the best beans available for purchase in China fifteen years ago, by some distance. I haven't had them since.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 16, 2018, 11:03:55 AM
Much like soda stream, I've been unintentionally boycotting them for years. You're welcome.

Yeah I occasionally get either accused of or praised for being an eco-warrior as I use public transport and don't own a car. Never mind that I've never had a driving lesson in my life through a combination of fear and skintness, and even if I could drive I couldn't afford to run a car anyway. 

Cuellar

Their coffee is swill #cuellarscoffeereviews

Dr Syntax Head

Shay is being a dick because I only found out about this because of this thread.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping to weigh in on a hatred of that absolutely godawful hipster nonsense advert for flat white coffee from some company trying to be cool or whatever.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on April 16, 2018, 10:10:01 AM
Yeah?  Maybe that's why I prefaced my remarks with

Thanks for permitting me to mention it though.  Much appreciated.

Surprised Shay didn't call the police accusing you of trespassing in your own thread.

Dr Syntax Head

Shay's probably just having a bad day, we should empathise. God knows I've taken my bad mood out on people I've never met on the internet before. Hope shay feels better soon.

That was sincere by the way.