Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:40:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Archer - Danger Island (Season 9) starts April 26th

Started by NoSleep, April 16, 2018, 10:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

I only stumbled across Archer in the last year but quickly watched and rewatched all 8 seasons. I'm not that arsed with the genres it spoofs, but it doesn't rely very much for its humour on knowledge of those genres. It's all about the dysfunctional group dynamic of the central characters, all brilliantly played. If I had to pick one thing as my favourite it is Archer's sheer exuberant joy at being the number one secret agent (and arsehole) of them all.

Looks like he may not yet have recovered from his coma for a second season; so another re-imagining of the characters in a new setting as he dreams on.

Soup

I've watched Archer since more or less the beginning, and it was probably my favourite comedy on TV from seasons 2-4, but sometime around season 5 it soured a bit for me. I'm not sure if the comic voice began to grate, it got less funny and more dependent on recurring jokes or what. I've returned to it since and still enjoy it, but I don't love it like I used to. Maybe its just me.

That said, I really enjoyed the last season. I think chucking the characters into these sort of genre remixes is a strong move and brings a lot of freshness to what was getting a bit stale. The Trailer for the new series looks promising.

bgmnts

Archer is the only show ever for me where it peaked first few episodes. Those first few episodes made me laugh really hard. After that it was ok but stopped watching by about season 5 i think.

NoSleep

I think they might not have gone for all the remixes if the name ISIS had not gained notoriety out in the real world. Season 5 (Archer - Vice) was a bit of a jump but I ended up liking it in balance and even more on second view (the Cherlene/Loggins version of Danger Zone being a highlight).
If you stopped viewing by season 5 there's plenty you have missed (Archer meets Lana's parents; season 6 episode 8; for example. Classic Archer, as they say).

Maybe my view of it is different as I watched them all rapid succession so seasons weren't ingrained into me before I watched a new one. I'm like that with Rick & Morty; nothing can top their first 6 episodes.

RedRevolver

Quote from: NoSleep on April 16, 2018, 02:35:58 PM
I think they might not have gone for all the remixes if the name ISIS had not gained notoriety out in the real world. Season 5 (Archer - Vice) was a bit of a jump but I ended up liking it in balance and even more on second view (the Cherlene/Loggins version of Danger Zone being a highlight).
If you stopped viewing by season 5 there's plenty you have missed (Archer meets Lana's parents; season 6 episode 8; for example. Classic Archer, as they say).

Maybe my view of it is different as I watched them all rapid succession so seasons weren't ingrained into me before I watched a new one. I'm like that with Rick & Morty; nothing can top their first 6 episodes.

They should have kept it and made ironic references to not being THAT ISIS.

I knew someone called Isis, I wonder if she's changed her name by deed poll.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I don't understand all the praise that the Vice series received for changing the show's formula. It was all the same jokes and action, just with a different lick of paint.

Dannyhood91

This show is just people sighing and making references.

brat-sampson

I liked the mixup last year and the premise for this one looks good, so I'm in. I feel like I already know exactly what to expect, but also that it'll be funny, so Nerrr.

Consignia

Well... I've been watching this. It's been good fun. I did like last season's noir mystery, which kept the whole thing threaded together and moving along at a fair lick. This season's lacking that, but it's looseness has made it a lot more fun.

I've always like Krieger, but I never expected Crackers to be such a brilliant character.

Ferris

phantom_power

Is this on in the UK yet? Didn't Netflix show it last year at the same time as the US?

Dex Sawash

Is Ray's french cop sidekick Deux Deux a nod to this guy?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on May 25, 2018, 07:09:30 AM
Is this on in the UK yet? Didn't Netflix show it last year at the same time as the US?

No. I think they drop the whole thing on netflix a few weeks after the last episode has aired in the us.

Consignia

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 25, 2018, 12:44:31 AM
I like that Krieger is a parrot now. 8/10.

Don't forget he wears a fucking chef's hat 9/10

neveragain

The sheer rate of rapid-fire gags on this boggled my mind when I started watching. However, unlike Arrested Development or Kimmy Schmidt, there was nothing that made me care enough to keep up. So I stopped watching.

And that's my relationship with Archer.

Small Man Big Horse

I'm enjoying it to a certain extent but feel slightly disappointed by it, unlike many I liked season 8 but this feels a bit lacklustre and the plot doesn't really interest me. I've also seen a lot of love for Crackers as well but can't say he's doing it for me.

NoSleep

The season seems a lot more episodic than they've ever done before (even when there's been longer story arcs) but I suppose the weekly cliffhangers are some kind of homage to the Saturday morning pictures serialised movies of a bygone era, which the Danger Island scenario harks back to (aside from the adult content). It's probably conjured by Sterling's dream state from his childhood. This season is far more obviously happening inside Sterling's coma-inflicted head than last season.

Glad to see you're back, SMBH.

Small Man Big Horse

Oops, not seen your post until now, but thank you. Unfortunately I didn't really get on with the show this year, it just seemed to be too plot heavy and lacking in jokes, and those which were present didn't hit home for me. Episode 7 was an improvement and had some very funny moments, and episode 8 wasn't bad, but it all seems a little bland and pointless now. They underused Lana yet again this year too, I'm starting to wonder if Aisha Tyler's pissed Adam Reed off somehow. Ah well, only one season to go, though it's a shame it's another coma year, I'd have been happier if we'd had the final batch of episodes set in the real world again.

Edit: There's an interview with Adam Reed here which contains very minor spoilers for next year: https://tv.avclub.com/adam-reed-talks-leaving-archer-going-to-applebees-and-1826750001

RedRevolver

This is on Series 9? I think I might have watched Series 7, but, in all honesty, not sure I've made it past six.

Surely they'll do a Peep Show soon and put this one to bed. It's already just a reimagined Frisky Dingo, for God's sake.

**And, to put my criticism in context, I named my (girl) cat after junkie and best butler ever Woodhouse. I just realised his first name is supposed to be 'Arthur'. I am now christening her with a new first name(s): "Our Fur". Geddit?!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: RedRevolver on June 15, 2018, 03:36:19 AM
This is on Series 9? I think I might have watched Series 7, but, in all honesty, not sure I've made it past six.

Surely they'll do a Peep Show soon and put this one to bed. It's already just a reimagined Frisky Dingo, for God's sake.

**And, to put my criticism in context, I named my (girl) cat after junkie and best butler ever Woodhouse. I just realised his first name is supposed to be 'Arthur'. I am now christening her with a new first name(s): "Our Fur". Geddit?!

Adam Reed has confirmed that season 10 will be his last, but it's possible the show will carry on without him. From the interview linked to above:

QuoteAVC: This upcoming season is the last one of your current order. Is this the end of Archer?

AR: I honestly don't know what's going to happen. I think everyone has been studiously avoiding talking about it. Although [Laughs.] I'm sure that will change soon.

AVC: How long do you feel like you could keep doing this show, personally?

AR: As far as I'm concerned, [season 10] will definitely be my last season. But Archer may keep going without me.

I should know more about that probably very soon after your article posts!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 26, 2018, 12:40:16 PM
I'm enjoying it to a certain extent but feel slightly disappointed by it, unlike many I liked season 8 but this feels a bit lacklustre and the plot doesn't really interest me. I've also seen a lot of love for Crackers as well but can't say he's doing it for me.

I spotted that it had arrived on netters and watched it last week. This sums up how I felt. I also agree about crackers; I found Kreiger's weirdness one of the funniest parts of the show and cracker is a shadow of that.