Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:22:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FM Touch 18

Started by Shay Chaise, April 16, 2018, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shay Chaise

Bit late in the season like but this came out on Switch the other day. It's a marginally scaled down version of the full fat lad on PC and it's exactly the same as the iPad version. Runs rapid, I've not touched one since the Amiga days and it's got its talons around my scrote. Pretty bad game if you were ever into the original. I remember going to bed one night at my mate's and he was playing when I woke up, then we had a kick about and a Chinese and then he did the same the next night. The guy looked CUNTED the next morning but Giggs scored a hundred goals in one season and he won the European Cup. Went home, my fuckin dad playing the same game in my room, all day, all night. Clicking like fuck. Went to work at six, I'm there basically dead for school. Cited in multiple divorce cases. It's an all time time sink, purposeless crunching. Is it the most addictive game ever?

colacentral

Can't play this sorry, I have a life to lead.

Last one I played was FM 10 I think. Put so many hours into managing Burnley that I essentially broke the game and was effortlessly winning every competition without even paying attention to it, as we were so much better off financially than every other team. I only stopped when I spilled tea over my laptop, breaking it and losing my save file forever. It was a blessing in disguise though, and I'd never put that many hours into it again.

Sorely tempted by this as it would be great to play it on the big TV but I just can't do it.

Z

I remember the PSP versions of this being terrible.

Has the franchise been quietly dying the past decade or so? Or is there an endless stream of 16 year boys with a ton of free time zoning in on it?

thraxx

Can't play any form of FM anymore - it consumes me.  Got into it on the original 93 version when it came out.  Then basically lost 20 years of my life to the various forms of the game. 

BlodwynPig

Had a go once, 2 seasons, got Cowdenbeath up one division and into Europe. There was an option to play as another manager and you'd set that team to 11 attackers including goalie and win 27-0 each game. Then laptop ran out of space

bgmnts

Managed to win the league with Aberystwyth on my first ever go.

Never did better than that so fucked it off.

AllisonSays

Might be up for this because the PC version has lost the plot for me. To some extent, I think it's just mirroring the way in which top flight football has changed because of media saturation and money, but it's just constant, boring shit - press conferences, three team talks per game, angry players, sad players, hungry players. Like Tamigotchi footballers.

As nearly everyone has said above, it's also true for me that I have a job and life bow that I'm fairly committed to and do can't wile away the hours on this as enthusiastically.

Junglist

Quote from: Z on April 17, 2018, 10:33:25 PM
Has the franchise been quietly dying the past decade or so? Or is there an endless stream of 16 year boys with a ton of free time zoning in on it?

NO LESS OF THAT THANK YOU

Managed to end the addiction for FM14 then the missus was working nights around the time of FM15 so I thought what's the harm. Somehow I keep a job whilst doing this.

Junglist

Aside from that its my ultimate put on at any time game as it can just run in the background for hours waiting for me to click. Its such a part of my life I play it completely on autopilot, completed it multiple times but its still heroin to me.

George Oscar Bluth II

Switch screen is a bit small, and the control scheme takes a lot of getting used to, but the game zips along doesn't it? Just removing fucking press conferences makes it worthwhile.

Mobius

I still buy Football Manager every year, but definitely played less each year. It gets more and more bloated, every other screen has twitter this, facebook that on it. Much like football I suppose.

I've got 1243 hours into FM12 according to Steam. God know how many hours I've pumped into torrented versions, old steam accounts etc...

My main issue with it now is that because my computer is plugged into a telly, the resolution/writing is a bit hard to see and even using the 'Zoom' option, it's difficult to read from the sofa. I might have a look for a skin with big font or something, cus I've hardly touched FM18 and there'd be a January update out by now wouldn't there? Plus it's been out long enough they've usually ironed a fair few of the problems out.

Quote from: Junglist on April 18, 2018, 07:31:45 PM

Managed to end the addiction for FM14 then the missus was working nights around the time of FM15 so I thought what's the harm. Somehow I keep a job whilst doing this.

When do you find time to masturbate?

bgmnts

Masturbate Manager 2018

Junglist

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 22, 2018, 12:33:09 PM
When do you find time to masturbate?

Whenever I win a trophy

falafel

That is 123 working days into FM13. 24 working weeks. Half a year full-time with weekends off.

Do you do anything apart from work and play FM?
That might sound judgemental but it's just that i can't imagine it.

George Oscar Bluth II

I used to have it running in the background while I did other stuff, I've racked up the sort of numbers on FM that I'd never achieve on a more "involved" game.

Ham Bap

I'm very tempted to dive back into Football Manager (PC) again. Last time I purposely bought a slightly underpowered laptop so I would just use it for work and not Football Manager, cos I thought I was over it.
Christ I want back in. It is a lot more in depth these days and takes longer to step a game up, hiring your coaches, scouts, sorting the training etc etc etc but once you get going you can have your assistant manager do the press conferences, team talks etc.

Next time I'm buying a laptop probably this summer I'll have the latest FM installed ASAP.

Junglist

Quote from: falafel on April 22, 2018, 08:43:22 PM
That is 123 working days into FM13. 24 working weeks. Half a year full-time with weekends off.

Do you do anything apart from work and play FM?
That might sound judgemental but it's just that i can't imagine it.

As stated in the post below yours, I'd say a third of it is just running in the background. Plus, at that point, I was unemployed, only been employed for the last two versions. There was a point where it was the first thing I'd load when booting the laptop, sometimes open for 10 hours without me making a single click.

sevendaughters

I bought FM17 while convalescing from an injury. in the time it took to recover I hoiked a team from the Swedish third to the top flight, had a benny with the chairman over the stadium and huffed out, then got fired from Ipswich and Wimbledon, after that rollercoaster I was back at work and had to delete it. 8 seasons in 3 weeks. didn't do much else at all except shit, shop, and sleep.

falafel

Quote from: Junglist on April 22, 2018, 09:33:05 PM
As stated in the post below yours, I'd say a third of it is just running in the background. Plus, at that point, I was unemployed, only been employed for the last two versions. There was a point where it was the first thing I'd load when booting the laptop, sometimes open for 10 hours without me making a single click.

(Having never played it) so really it sounds like a more sophisticated predecessor to the clicker genre? Would someone with no interest in sport be liable to be pulled in as well, do you think?

PS typo on my part, I was referring to FM17 not 13.

Junglist

Quote from: falafel on April 22, 2018, 10:46:46 PM
(Having never played it) so really it sounds like a more sophisticated predecessor to the clicker genre? Would someone with no interest in sport be liable to be pulled in as well, do you think?

PS typo on my part, I was referring to FM17 not 13.

Its very heavily involved in tactics, and micro management, along with numbers (all stats, be they technical, physical or mental, are on a scale of 1 = essentially pub player, to 20 = Lionel Messi). You have to manage the moral of your players, keep the fans happy, keep the board happy, inspire the team if you loose four or five on the bounce, have personality clashes with the more outspoken players, find a tactic that works for the team (and learn to adapt once the AI starts to figure it out), and play the transfer market to strengthen your needs whilst essentially be involved in a small bit of accounting to keep the books within fairplay rules.

Its simultaneously the most football game ever, and the least football game ever, but I believe an interest in the sport would help.

This is a player attribute page for example, taken from one of my saves:

Lukaku will be scoring the goals so you basically need to start building a tactic with him as the main threat in mind.

A general post match stat screen (FM17):

The reputation it has as essentially a spreadsheet game is true for the most part, but you do get a 2D, or 3D match engine to watch the matches in, with a multitude of cameras, angles etc.

Junglist

Tactics screen:

Post match heatmap on match analysis, which you can  pick individual players on, along with many, many other options:

Squad hierarchy and social/moral screen:

Physio screen:

Finances:

Sorry for spamming images, I could just talk about this series for hours. I think I probably put about 10,000 hours into Championship Manager 01/02 since it launched (primarily due to disability and homeschooling in my youth). Its the nerdiest sports game in existence and its wonderful.

Junglist

Apologies, I don't know how to resize images on here :D

asids

Quote from: Junglist on April 18, 2018, 07:31:45 PM

Pfft, amateur...

imitationleather

It was a dark, dark day once I got to the point where when I had to input my date of birth at the start of the game I stopped needing to add a decade for me to be anywhere a realistic age for a manager.

thugler

Love it, but also simultaneously hate how improvements seem to be so cosmetic now since they made the 3d match engine, which still looks pretty crap.

The Lurker

I put some serious hours into FM12 on my Annan Athletic save, when I should've been revising for my A Levels. Who knows, maybe if I played less Football Manager I may have got into a better university (with all due respect) but no one can ever take away that promotion to the SPL or the fact that I did indeed get a degree. I still occassionally look out for their results.

Haven't played it since FM13 and I don't really have the time to play it nowadays but I am tempted just to reboot up FM12 and start over again with Annan. The lads. The boyos. What a team.

I've been fortunate that the latest version is shite as it has allowed me to, partially, kick the habit.

I've played it far too much and it is crazily addictive but I am convinced the makers are pretty bad at what they do. The media is rubbish with constant idiot questions which were tedious when they were introduced and haven't improved (same questions and answers for the most part). The UI on the current version is unbelievable bad, clicks for no reason all over the place,  and the new scouting is too irritating to get involved with. And for a game with such crap graphics it does wheeze and grind in-match on my admittedly crummy desktop.

Junglist

I love the new scouting system to be honest. Kinda helps that I spent £1400 on a top of the range laptop so it flies by.