Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lady gets seven-and-half-years for abuse of boyfriend

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, April 16, 2018, 04:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quite rare for a woman to get such a sentence, though justified I think. I've put a Daily Mail link, as that's got more detail on the case. For those who are funny about the Mail, I've put the BBC link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5621193/Controlling-girlfriend-jailed-seven-years.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43782671

mothman

And people pay good money for this sort of thing, too. Er, so I've heard.

oopett

Good.  Many, many people can get in the position where they have existing issues that increase susceptibility to domestic violence in various forms.  Horrific story.

I'm a woman and support any man in this situation as much as I can because it's just human decency.  Anyone who thinks this isn't a terrible crime has a lot to think about.

Icehaven

Someone I work with also works with women recently released from prison, and a few weeks back I asked her what she'd found to be the most common reasons women were jailed, expecting it to be something like theft/shoplifting to support drug habits or similar. She said it's overwhelmingly violent (and usually alcohol fuelled) offences against partners or ex-partners. Wether that's skewed as she works in a theraputic hostel so is more likely to be dealing with women referred as potentially benefitting from therapy, or it's just a general fact I dunno, but I was surprised.

Isnt Anything

Christ after reading the BBC version first i admit i was expecting some cliched scummy-looking type so i was very surprised when i reluctantly went to the Daily Mail, saw her photos and read -

QuoteAspiring teacher Worth had a degree from the University of Hertfordshire, had come from a loving and supportive family, and had raised money for children in Africa.

wtf ?

There must be more to this than meets the eye. How did she turn out like this ? ^squints hard at family^

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Isnt Anything on April 16, 2018, 06:53:23 PM
Christ after reading the BBC version first i admit i was expecting some cliched scummy-looking type so i was very surprised when i reluctantly went to the Daily Mail, saw her photos and read -

wtf ?

There must be more to this than meets the eye. How did she turn out like this ? Mental health issues?

Isnt Anything

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 16, 2018, 06:54:57 PM
Mental health issues?

Well yeah i guess but i just wonder how come .... i guess sometimes there doesnt need to be a reason.

On the other hand theres no mention of mental health reports being done on her.

I do hope that unless a mental health problem is later diagnosed and fixed that she doesnt get to teach kids on her release. Well i suppose the CRB or whatever its called now check will take care of that. Sorry rambling.

QuoteAspiring teacher Worth had a degree from the University of Hertfordshire, had come from a loving and supportive family

That presumably just means parents weren't divorced and had no actual convictions for child cruelty or abuse.  Doesn't necessarily mean it was a perfect, good or even okay family.

Isnt Anything

Dr Rock

Quote from: Isnt Anything on April 16, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
Well yeah i guess but i just wonder how come .... i guess sometimes there doesnt need to be a reason.

On the other hand theres no mention of mental health reports being done on her.

I do hope that unless a mental health problem is later diagnosed and fixed that she doesnt get to teach kids on her release. Well i suppose the CRB or whatever its called now check will take care of that. Sorry rambling.

Perfectly normal-seeming women can be abusive, just like perfectly normal seeming men.

Isnt Anything

Yeah but theres abuse and fucking boiling water abuse

but i suppose i see what you mean

manticore

I've been googling around for statistics and it appears that women are twice as likely to be the victims of abuse by partners. I expected it to be much more than twice as much. Crime Survey for England and Wales:

QuoteThe most common type of domestic abuse experienced in the last year was partner abuse, with 4.5% of adults reporting this type of abuse. Whilst a higher proportion of women reported experience of partner abuse in the last year than men (5.9% compared with 3%), similar proportions of men and women reported experience of family abuse

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/domesticabuseinenglandandwales/yearendingmarch2017

tenmen

Twice as likely to report it. Possibly says more about male trust in the police to treat them fairly than actual abuse.

Golden E. Pump

They all get seven-and-a-half-years by the time...

manticore

Quote from: tenmen on April 17, 2018, 12:46:23 AM
Twice as likely to report it. Possibly says more about male trust in the police to treat them fairly than actual abuse.

No no no, it's from the Crime Survey for England and Wales, as I said. It's a survey of the public, not crime reported to the police.

tenmen

Quote from: manticore on April 17, 2018, 01:41:19 AM
No no no, it's from the Crime Survey for England and Wales, as I said. It's a survey of the public, not crime reported to the police.

My mistake. Still possible that men feel ashamed about abuse , because of the sexist way men are treated by society, so wouldn't even report to a crime survey.

Dr Rock

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/sep/05/men-victims-domestic-violence

QuoteMore than 40% of domestic violence victims are male, report reveals

Data from Home Office statistical bulletins and the British Crime Survey show that men made up about 40% of domestic violence victims each year between 2004-05 and 2008-09, the last year for which figures are available. In 2006-07 men made up 43.4% of all those who had suffered partner abuse in the previous year, which rose to 45.5% in 2007-08 but fell to 37.7% in 2008-09.

Similar or slightly larger numbers of men were subjected to severe force in an incident with their partner, according to the same documents. The figure stood at 48.6% in 2006-07, 48.3% the next year and 37.5% in 2008-09, Home Office statistics show.

Dr Trouser

Not meaning to belittle the situation, but the bit;

"Once Worth was seen at a window by a neighbour 'armed' with a screwdriver or hammer, the court was told"

Caught my eye. How can you not tell the difference? One's hitty  and ones stabby (assuming she wasn't actually doing any construction)

Zetetic

You might not remember which one - the pertinent bits of information you retain might just be 'tool' and 'about this big'.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I don't think it's a prerequisite that a vicious violent maniac is working class or the product of a dysfunctional upbringing. Just throwing that mindfuck out there.

Relationships produce their own dynamics and - with much different degrees of severity - you can find yourself occasionally doing and saying things, then looking back and thinking "why the fuck did i do that?"

Dr Syntax Head

Absolutely anybody regardless of gender, sex, upbringing, socio economic status etc is capable of violent assault against someone they love or a partner. That's a big claim but it's hard to disprove. All it takes is the necessary stimulus or threat. Give anyone the right conditions and it can flick the switch so to speak. As mentioned above we can't know the full dynamics of the relationship. Years of emotional and psychological abuse can lead to a violent outburst from a victim.

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

Well, I mean, the court finds someone guilty of a sustained period of physical and psychological abuse resulting in broken limbs and extensive second-and-third degree burns. Whose first reaction is "Ahhh, but do we really know which one is the abusive one?"

Dr Syntax Head

I wasn't referring to this case in particular but domestic abuse in general.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 17, 2018, 08:26:42 AM
Absolutely anybody regardless of gender, sex, upbringing, socio economic status etc is capable of violent assault against someone they love or a partner. That's a big claim but it's hard to disprove. All it takes is the necessary stimulus or threat. Give anyone the right conditions and it can flick the switch so to speak. As mentioned above we can't know the full dynamics of the relationship. Years of emotional and psychological abuse can lead to a violent outburst from a victim.

'That's a big claim but it's hard to disprove'. Keanu Reeves is actually a genetically modified zebra. It's a big claim, but it's hard to disprove.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 17, 2018, 08:55:03 AM
'That's a big claim but it's hard to disprove'. Keanu Reeves is actually a genetically modified zebra. It's a big claim, but it's hard to disprove.

No that is quite easy to disprove.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 17, 2018, 08:55:45 AM
No that is quite easy to disprove.

That's a big claim.

ETA I'm not outraged by the fact that you've said this, just somewhat amused.