Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD Rerelease

Started by asids, April 17, 2018, 10:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benevolent Despot

I felt this one coming with my sixth sense. I'm glad they're keeping the original look and not re-doing everything with modern grafix. I wonder if they'll keep the long load times between all the areas, and maybe include higher-quality audio? It'll be nice to play and remind oneself of the story prior to III. It's really been a disservice to youngsters not having the first game playable on anything other than a Dreamcast. I don't touch my DC anymore because it hardly reads disks now. A museum piece.

Bazooka

It was inevitable, anyone who has never played them, don't be a dingus all your life and go and buy.

Famous Mortimer

biggytitbo

As someone who has never played them, why should I play them (minus nostalgia)?

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2018, 12:35:50 PM
like eastenders but fun

persona 5

bgmnts

The best QTE sound ever, Lucky Hit and moving boxes around to cool music.

It's worth it.

Benevolent Despot

1. For the moral lessons Ryo receives from wise martial artists.
2. For Ryo's brilliant voice acting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJO_GhntI58.
3. For the immersive sleuthing, including dialling phone numbers on rotary phones.
4. Pretty satisfying, deep fighting system, I believe borrowed from Virtua Fighter.
5. Total world-building with all minutiae.
6. 1980s setting. Not too far away but foreign enough.
7. Good music. Good locales. Good story.
8. Great minigames to pass the time. Hit the arcade or the bar.
9. Pretty funny sometimes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuI4JM5Ad0I or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNSoz061Kds (!)

popcorn

Shenmue transports you to a peculiar, melancholy, broken-down world that has no parallel. A lot of people hate it, for understandable reasons, but if you're of the right genetic disposition, you're in for a treat.

biggytitbo

What's the gameplay though, exploration, puzzles, crime solving? Im not interesting in walking around talking to random people about their washing or lost dogs.

NoSleep

It's a story of revenge and you'll spend the whole game trying to track down the killer of Ryu's father, and taking care of a kitten (whose mother was killed by the same people).
And driving a forklift.

popcorn

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2018, 06:57:11 PM
Im not interesting in walking around talking to random people about their washing or lost dogs.

Don't play Shenmue.

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2018, 06:57:11 PM
What's the gameplay though, exploration, puzzles, crime solving? Im not interesting in walking around talking to random people about their washing or lost dogs.
All of the above and more. You do quite a bit of chatting near the start of the game to get the crime solving going. There aren't really pointless side-quests though like many modern games. It's mostly all for one end goal. There are plenty of side-amusements though if you want them. It's essentially a quest to find your father's killer and uncover the mystery surrounding it. With the fighting system you acquire moves throughout your quest. Shenmue II has a lot more fighting compared to the first game if that's your thing. As said, the fighting system is pretty good. Shenmue is basically a highly realistic and detailed adventure game.

Z

The whole look of Shenmue leaves me with the notion that it'd be an aggravatingly slow paced game with some pretty clunky dynamics. Like, I'm sure it doesn't use tank controls, but it looks like it uses them, and you've to stop to turn.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Interesting. I've never played either of them, but quite vividly remember reading previews of the first one and thinking it sounded like the future of games. Said future is now the past of course, but I still might get a copy.

bgmnts

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 17, 2018, 11:30:09 PM
Interesting. I've never played either of them, but quite vividly remember reading previews of the first one and thinking it sounded like the future of games. Said future is now the past of course, but I still might get a copy.

Shenmue 2 on the original Xbox is an expensive fucker. I have yet to find it being sold for less than around 25 quid.

So i am well up for this remaster.

Ferris

But how many forklift trucks will there be?

Mister Six

Does Shenmue 2 end properly or is this Shenmue 3 thing going to cap off the story?

To be honest I just want a PS 4 version of Deadly Premonition.

popcorn

Quote from: Mister Six on April 18, 2018, 05:39:50 AM
Does Shenmue 2 end properly

No. Cliffhanger. Hence why everyone's been desperate for Shenmue 3 for the last 15 years.

Quoteor is this Shenmue 3 thing going to cap off the story?

Seems unlikely. Suzuki conceived the story as a multi-game epic and says he wants to make at least one more game after Shenmue 3.

Bazooka

Quote from: popcorn on April 17, 2018, 06:56:45 PM
Shenmue transports you to a peculiar, melancholy, broken-down world that has no parallel. A lot of people hate it, for understandable reasons, but if you're of the right genetic disposition, you're in for a treat.

I have never met anyone who hated it.

popcorn

When I was a lad, I forced Shenmue onto all of my game-playing mates, and not one of them enjoyed it. They all binned it off after an hour or so. I continued this evangelical campaign through university and beyond, without success. I even bought a second-hand Dreamcast for a pal in New York and he couldn't be fucked with it either. I don't think I managed to persuade a single person of its merits.

It's a legendarily divisive game. It commands a dedicated cult following but it really isn't for everyone. The Wikipedia page covers this quite well (mixed critical reactions/legacy), as does the Cane and Rinse retrospective podcast...

itsfredtitmus

When is mizzurna falls gonna get a remaster?

Lemming

Good news, great games.

The real question, though, is what language is everyone speaking in Shenmue 2? One of the plot points of Shenmue 1 is that Ryo doesn't understand Chinese and so has to go ask every Chinese person in Dobuita to translate something for him, yet everyone in Hong Kong has no trouble communicating. Does everyone in Hong Kong speak Japanese? Is Ryo speaking English?

bgmnts

Quote from: Lemming on April 18, 2018, 10:52:15 PM
Good news, great games.

The real question, though, is what language is everyone speaking in Shenmue 2? One of the plot points of Shenmue 1 is that Ryo doesn't understand Chinese and so has to go ask every Chinese person in Dobuita to translate something for him, yet everyone in Hong Kong has no trouble communicating. Does everyone in Hong Kong speak Japanese? Is Ryo speaking English?

He learned Chinese on the boat over.

Simple.

Waking Life

Quote from: Lemming on April 18, 2018, 10:52:15 PM
Good news, great games.

Never played the games (but it's got me intrigued), but people in Hong Kong widely speak English. I'm not sure what Ryo's grasp of English is. Also, maybe he can speak to Cantonese, but not Mandarin?

NoSleep

He's reduced to English subtitles whilst speaking Japanese in Shenmue II (as is every other character). Some of the English voices in Shenmue I were laughably bad.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: bgmnts on April 19, 2018, 12:32:22 AM
He learned Chinese on the boat over.

Simple.
There's a whole adventure he has on the boat. I think it's in a comic or a phone game or something. Fights that bald cunt again I think.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: NoSleep on April 19, 2018, 10:18:32 AM
He's reduced to English subtitles whilst speaking Japanese in Shenmue II (as is every other character). Some of the English voices in Shenmue I were laughably bad.

The Xbox version had an English dub with the same main voice actor and similarly stilted supporting cast.
Can't remember if there was anything as bad as that rasta hamburger stand guy though.

NoSleep

The hamburger guy and the guy with the slick-backed 50's look were the worst.

I must say I preferred the Japanese voice track with subtitles to the English voice track in S1. I was beginning to pick up a few Japanese phrases after a while.

Did they give you the option of the Japanese voice track on the X-Box?