Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Another "I'm going to a place, tell me what to do thread"

Started by monkfromhavana, April 17, 2018, 06:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

They've got trams in Wimbledon. Fucking trams, in London in 2018. Go check them out. I ran out of time to go trams when I went to london on Saturday, but yeah. DO IT

I also bought some clothes near covent garden (fancy belt) and had some street food on the southbank - you're less likely to die, but your wallet probably will

imitationleather

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on April 17, 2018, 11:08:11 PM
They've got trams in Wimbledon. Fucking trams, in London in 2018. Go check them out. I ran out of time to go trams when I went to london on Saturday, but yeah. DO IT

I also bought some clothes near covent garden (fancy belt) and had some street food on the southbank - you're less likely to die, but your wallet probably will

Apart from the racist shouting ladies riding them that everyone films with their phones, the trams in south London are not impressive and not worth a detour. The word "tram" doesn't mean they're like the ones in Prague.

If you are really into transport I guess they are worth looking at.

Ferris

Go to 2 Temple Place. It's free, and bonkers, and right downtown, and good fun. Always good exhibitions on in there, I go every time I'm in London because the novelty of stepping into a huge house on the river and looking at nice things never leaves. Nice stained glass windows as well.

Not enough? Fine - combine it with a trip to Gordon's Wine Bar before, and the Seven Stars after. Lovely places that are pretty reasonable for central London and with lots of character. Seven Stars has a pub cat that wears a ruff. GWB is a weird cave underground full of middle aged couples having affairs in a dungeon-esque environment. The Queen Mum used to get pissed in there on the quiet (allegedly).

Paul Calf

I dropped a small ziplock bag containing two Es and about 3/4 of a gram of coke in onto the rails at Bow Road eastbound platform in June 1998. If it's still there, you can have it.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 18, 2018, 07:18:16 AM
I dropped a small ziplock bag containing two Es and about 3/4 of a gram of coke in onto the rails at Bow Road eastbound platform in June 1998. If it's still there, you can have it.

Mitsubishis?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 18, 2018, 04:06:35 AM
Not enough? Fine - combine it with a trip to Gordon's Wine Bar before, and the Seven Stars after. Lovely places that are pretty reasonable for central London and with lots of character. Seven Stars has a pub cat that wears a ruff. GWB is a weird cave underground full of middle aged couples having affairs in a dungeon-esque environment. The Queen Mum used to get pissed in there on the quiet (allegedly).

I believe Chris Morris has been sighted in there, too. Not sure where I heard that, but for me, GWB is now inextricably linked with Chris Morris. And I never fail to tediously remark on this when ever I walk past it.

Zetetic

See a disease that can't be cured behind the eyes of everyone around you.

Stare at them long enough, they'll turn away in shame.

See the actual light railway station that All Saints was named after.

Zetetic

I'm also going to see the Stewart Lee. Hope it's good because when I went to London last Friday, I spent 7 hours on a female psychiatric inpatient ward waiting for a friend to recieve about 10 minutes of actual work, and I wouldn't review that well at all.

mrpupkin

Good pub near RFH: Kings Arms, Roupell St. Small cosy bar with massive (and reasonable) Thai dining room out back. Away from the bustle of the Southbank if it gets annoying round there.
Good pub near the Scala: Queens Head, Acton St. Again tucked away from the main Kings Cross area. Nice beers, might have someone on the ol' Joanna if you're lucky. Standard London pub prices though.
Also at Kings Cross: There's the free 'Treasures of the British Library' gallery at the BL which has some amazing stuff and you shouldn't have to queue up or anything now that the Harry Potter exhibition has finally fucked off. If the sun's out Granary Square is nice for a breather now they've done it up. Get a Solero or some shit. Can wander up the canal towards Camden from there if you fancy, or vice versa.
Whereabouts are you staying? I'd stick to your base areas rather than trying to get around the city too much, you'll just end up on the tube all day hating everyone.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: mrpupkin on April 18, 2018, 11:05:18 AM
Good pub near RFH: Kings Arms, Roupell St. Small cosy bar with massive (and reasonable) Thai dining room out back. Away from the bustle of the Southbank if it gets annoying round there.
Good pub near the Scala: Queens Head, Acton St. Again tucked away from the main Kings Cross area. Nice beers, might have someone on the ol' Joanna if you're lucky. Standard London pub prices though.
Also at Kings Cross: There's the free 'Treasures of the British Library' gallery at the BL which has some amazing stuff and you shouldn't have to queue up or anything now that the Harry Potter exhibition has finally fucked off. If the sun's out Granary Square is nice for a breather now they've done it up. Get a Solero or some shit. Can wander up the canal towards Camden from there if you fancy, or vice versa.
Whereabouts are you staying? I'd stick to your base areas rather than trying to get around the city too much, you'll just end up on the tube all day hating everyone.

Thanks, that's really helpful. We're staying around Southbank so don't planning on going that far north of the river, and certainly don't wanna spend too much time on hot, sweaty tubes. Only staying one night, because after the gig on Saturday we're getting the National Express straight home.

shiftwork2

^ Founders Arms by Tate Modern then.  That is your answer and you will thank me.  There's a little cockney beach to play on when the tide's out.  It does tickle me that the best-located pub in London is a dodgy flat-roofer (from outside at least).

monkfromhavana

Quote from: shiftwork2 on April 18, 2018, 07:37:35 PM
^ Founders Arms by Tate Modern then.  That is your answer and you will thank me.  There's a little cockney beach to play on when the tide's out.  It does tickle me that the best-located pub in London is a dodgy flat-roofer (from outside at least).

We're on our 3rd pint at the Founders. Great location, swathes of men all dressed exactly the same (tight shorts, shirts open at collar).

Will go for Kings Arms after Stewart Lee as it's on the way back to where we're staying.