Author Topic: Dirt cheap Chinese knock-off handhelds  (Read 23441 times)

Re: Dirt cheap Chinese knock-off handhelds
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2021, 03:53:39 PM »
Probably due to the component shortage. These handhelds normally use cheap, surplus chips that have trickled down from the big phone manufacturers.

« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
Anbernic seem to be repeating themselves a bit, with the RG300X using the same chipset as the 350/m/p handhelds, only no analog sticks, and a design like an enlarged GameBoy Micro.

Rumors seem to be the next step up for Anbernic will be the RG552, not much info on it yet though:

https://obscurehandhelds.com/2021/06/what-we-know-about-the-anbernic-rg552/

I'm trying to see if I can get Unibios working for running Neo Geo games on my RG350M. They all run fine in FBA and I can access the Service Menu to adjust some settings, but I unearthed my GPD XD and while I don't think the battery will last long anymore, I found it had a version on Unibios on it, which means I can run games in AES/MVS modes (i.e. Home/Arcade versions - the home/AES ones have options that aren't available in Arcade/MVS modes).

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2021, 04:30:15 PM »
I had a quick check on Retrododo this morning and they've got details of a new Powkiddy handheld which will (allegedly) have a better processor in it, be able to emulate more consoles, etc.

https://retrododo.com/powkiddy-a20/

Looks like the RG351V, which I really like as a design.

« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »
Anbernic are milking the RG351 one last time as well.

https://retrododo.com/rg351mp/

Basically the 351V in a horizontal form like the 351M. So a better screen and dual card slots.

I may get this when it's out.

« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2021, 12:27:36 PM »
Anbernic's next handheld, the RG552, in action, running the PSP version of Tekken 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxGS1QUEZY

So it's an Android-based affair, which disappoints me slightly. If this doesn't have the sound lag that afflicts my GPD XD it might be worth a look, though.

« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
Audio latency has much improved on Android in the past four years or so, but a lot of it is app and hardware dependent.

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/03/an-update-on-androids-audio-latency.html

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »
There's one called the "Odin" which is in the middle of an Indiegogo campaign, but for the prospect of saving thirty quid off the expected retail price, over it possibly never happening, I think I'll wait. A few of the retro gaming Youtube people have their hands on prototypes which can do all sorts - PS2, Gamecube, and so on. But I've been burned before.

Then there's the Retroid Pocket 3, which isn't out yet, but at least they've produced consoles in the past.

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2021, 02:36:29 PM »
I just discovered a rather nice new-ish Youtube channel called Retro Gaming Corps, and he's much more "here's the fun things you can do with this device" rather than moaning they don't have the new chip in yet or whatever.

He just mentioned the Odroid Go Advance, which I'd completely forgotten about, and for the size of the device / price, it looks top notch.

« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2021, 11:01:16 PM »

« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2021, 11:07:42 PM »
This is interesting, if you want to play the fastest, latest PC games on a quality handheld. It's Indiegogo, but has met its goal already.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aya-neo-world-s-first-7nm-handheld-gaming-device--2#

AYA-NEO:World’s First 7nm Handheld Gaming Device
6 cores AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Mobile Processor with Radeon Graphics. Unmatched levels of performance.

I've now received this, and wondering what AAA PC games to install on it to give it a test. MS Flight Sim might be a bit unfair :-)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #160 on: October 02, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »
An Indiegogo that delivered as expected! You lucky git.

« Reply #161 on: October 02, 2021, 01:36:05 PM »
An Indiegogo that delivered as expected! You lucky git.
It was a risk, but the campaign was already fully funded when I ordered, and the company had successfully produced stuff previously, so I thought it was worth a punt for what is an impressive device :-)

As a starter, I'm going to setup Steam on it and install my games from there. They are claiming really quite high levels of PC performance in this handheld. We'll see... If nothing else it will warm the house during the winter days!

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »
Pinball, what's your initial impression of the Aya-Neo? I just checked eBay and they're going for more than a grand.

Also, I just discovered that, far from needing a perfect N64 emulator, a bunch of people have made perfectly working ports of some of the games for the dirt-cheap Chinese knockoff handheld market.

« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »
Pinball, what's your initial impression of the Aya-Neo? I just checked eBay and they're going for more than a grand.
First impressions are good. It is well made, runs Windows 10 like a PC, and has a 1TB HD and touchscreen. Today I've been updating Windows, installed Steam and downloading a shedload of games from Steam. Not fully checked yet, but it seems to run fine, without getting hot or making a lot of noise. The box it came in was Apple-esque. I was trying to work out why the time was wrong, but it was due to the time zone being set as Beijing :-)

In a word- like.

Tags: