Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:26:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dirt cheap Chinese knock-off handhelds

Started by dmillburn, April 17, 2018, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Waiting on a RG350M, will report when I have a crack at it. Hard part will be getting ahold of ROMsets, I've never done that before.

Abnormal Palm

Cool thread. I'm tempted by the RG350M, for sure. Reviews sound great.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: samadriel on May 24, 2020, 10:22:08 AM
Waiting on a RG350M, will report when I have a crack at it. Hard part will be getting ahold of ROMsets, I've never done that before.
I think the RG350M has an option to buy it with thousands of games pre-loaded? But if you've already bought it, that information won't be very useful to you. I'll send you a message.

Spiteface

Depends were you got it from, surely?

There's apparently a bunch of pre-loaded homebrew things on them, but most places state you got to find the ROMs yourself.

Nothing Google won't solve, I'd imagine.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Spiteface on May 24, 2020, 04:54:47 PM
Depends were you got it from, surely?
Well, obviously. I was going by the Aliexpress listing, which I assumed was the first place to sell it. They have several pricing options, one of which is that it comes with a pre-loaded SD card with a bajillion games on it.

samadriel

Couldn't get Emulation Station working at all on the RG350, but Simple Menu has been behaving, and I've been sidetracked from more ambitious emulation by playing through Ultima IV for the Master System. Bliss!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: samadriel on June 01, 2020, 01:21:38 PM
Couldn't get Emulation Station working at all on the RG350, but Simple Menu has been behaving, and I've been sidetracked from more ambitious emulation by playing through Ultima IV for the Master System. Bliss!
Isn't that because the 350M runs a custom...firmware?...that's incompatible with Emulation Station? Some people have managed to do it, but I assume it's beyond the ken of most people (well, it sounds very difficult to me).

samadriel

I followed a guide on YouTube, but when I attempted to load ES after going through all the effort, it just appeared as a strobing, glitchy intro screen that wouldn't go any further. Simple Menu is pretty good though, just gotta fiddle a bit with a handful of simple .ini files to make it look in the right places for ROMs and emulators.

Famous Mortimer

Fingers crossed you do get it working, then, cos I always enjoyed using ES on the Pi.

I think I'm wandering towards the RK2020, as it's $65 and can play pretty much everything in the retro pantheon. Actually, probably not N64 but I'm bad enough at NES and SNES games that it'll take me until perfect N64 emulation is created to catch up anyway.

thugler

I think I have an older one of these knocking around somewhere from years ago. Bought it as I thought, 'great I can play old mega drive and snes games!' then when it came to it I basically have no interest in playing any games anymore.

Famous Mortimer

The first few reviews for the RK2020 are out, and it seems to be a better-built version of the Odroid Go Advance. For the price, and the fact it can play pretty N64 and even Dreamcast games fine, I think I'll get one.

Sheffield Wednesday

Got an RG350M coming tomorrow hopefully. Looking forward to it. Cheers for the recs.

Sheffield Wednesday

Arrived today. Hope its got a load of blagged games on it already! I guess I'll find out when I get home and scrubbed myself with bleach 😂😂🤪

Sheffield Wednesday

Playing Dodonpachi and Progear at 60fps on a little handheld is bonkers. My eyes will implode but really put a smile on my face.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 09, 2020, 09:24:22 PM
Playing Dodonpachi and Progear at 60fps on a little handheld is bonkers. My eyes will implode but really put a smile on my face.
Nice one.

There's been some legal shenanigans with the RK2020 and the Odroid Go Advance - it appears the RK2020 was just shipping with identical firmware to the OGA, and the Odroid people sued (or something). So now it's shipping out without firmware. Oh, and the OGA Black Edition, which is the latest and best version, is sold out everywhere, with the expected delivery date given by the producers now at late July / early August, but realistically late August / September.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 09, 2020, 09:24:22 PM

How does it cope with the tate mode shooters? is the pixel scaling correct or is all the text fucked up?

Sheffield Wednesday

Various display options is the long story short. It can look spot on or dog dirt depending.

Spiteface

Can anyone with an RG350M confirm how well it runs Capcom CPS3 arcade games, i.e. Street Fighter III?

Might take the plunge and finally order one on the weekend.

Sheffield Wednesday

Not great. You'd be better off getting the 30th Anniversary Collection.

Spiteface

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on June 11, 2020, 07:18:54 PM
Not great. You'd be better off getting the 30th Anniversary Collection.

Already got that for PS4, just liked the idea of having it portable. Not a deal-breaker, though.

Sheffield Wednesday

Gurke and Hare

What would be the best one of these to get to play Amiga games on?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 12, 2020, 02:06:38 PM
What would be the best one of these to get to play Amiga games on?
Your problem with that would be, presumably, the lack of a keyboard.

Spiteface

I feel like if you're wanting to emulate older computers as opposed to consoles, these devices, might not be the best thing. Horsepower to run such things would be okay, but as FM points out, no keyboard. I don't know how Amiga emulators would work on these things anyway.

Maybe an Android device like the GPD XD, at least you might have a touch keyboard on screen. Or the GPD WIN, but that's absurdly expensive.

Cold Meat Platter

Yeah old computer games will have issues with needing keyboards, especially as most cracked games (which is what you'll be downloading) usually need you to hit the space bar or click the left mouse button etc. to get past the cracktro screen. And most Amiga games will be 50hz refresh rate so on a 60hz screen will be jerky.

Gurke and Hare

Hmm - there are plenty of Amiga games you can play without ever touching the keyboard/mouse (from memory, Kick Off 2 and Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road Racer are two that I'd love to play on a portable handheld) but that's a good point about getting past the intro screen on cracked games. Ah well.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 13, 2020, 01:44:54 PM
Hmm - there are plenty of Amiga games you can play without ever touching the keyboard/mouse (from memory, Kick Off 2 and Ironman Ivan Stewart's Super Off Road Racer are two that I'd love to play on a portable handheld) but that's a good point about getting past the intro screen on cracked games. Ah well.
You could give it a go and find out via an emulator for the PC, I guess? Like, plug a controller in and see if you can get to the game without touching the keyboard.

Spiteface

Pulled the trigger.

Went for the RG350M (the metal version) in black.

I like having a nicer screen, and the "internal" SD card being accessible without opening it up.

Regarding my previous question about wanting to play Street Fighter III on it... I have a GPD XD which runs it (along with some Dreamcast games) fine. But some emulators on it suffer from an annoying sound lag. OpenDingux stuff like my old GCW never did that

Most of what I'd want to run on these is 16-bit stuff and some arcade/Neo Geo stuff, so this'll be fine.

Famous Mortimer

Looks like there's a new one, nearly ready.

https://retrododo.com/zpg-pro/

Maybe it's a waste to keep waiting for the best console, but it looks good.

Cold Meat Platter

This guy's channel is pretty good for reviews of these devices and here he makes a pretty good case for just getting a bluetooth controller for a phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3-Ua8ZQc84