Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Windrush

Started by Dannyhood91, April 17, 2018, 11:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 19, 2018, 09:21:24 AM
BBC seems to think that a plastic straw ban should be the lead story rather than Windrush.

Well the current Prime Minister has been accused of acting so xenophobic that a comparison has been drawn with Nazi Germany but hey she cares about fish getting stuck in four-pack plastic so whatever.

Blumf

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 19, 2018, 09:21:24 AM
BBC seems to think that a plastic straw ban should be the lead story rather than Windrush.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43817287
QuoteAnd Theresa May will urge leaders at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, which starts later, to follow the UK's lead in tackling the problem.

The Queen will formally open the summit at an event at Buckingham Palace attended by prime ministers and presidents from the 53 states that make up the organisation.

Ah, I think I see why. We're back baby! Bye-bye EU, off to spend more time with the colonies again, we're still a world power! Honest!!

Fambo Number Mive

I'm not sure all of the Commonwealth leaders will feel very receptive to Theresa May after how she treated the Windrush people.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 19, 2018, 10:13:08 AM
I'm not sure all of the Commonwealth leaders will feel very receptive to Theresa May after how she treated the Windrush people.

It's a Thick of IT style fuck-up. 'Jeremy Corbyn's getting stick for antisemitism and you decide to fuck over a group of immigrants even Daily Mail readers seem to be sort-of alright with, right before a commonwealth summit'.

Fambo Number Mive

Plastic straw and cotton bud ban still the top story on the BBC.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 19, 2018, 11:54:26 AM
It's a Thick of IT style fuck-up. 'Jeremy Corbyn's getting stick for antisemitism and you decide to fuck over a group of immigrants even Daily Mail readers seem to be sort-of alright with, right before a commonwealth summit'.

yet she remains SUPREME LEADER. This will soon pass and editorials about her strengths will be published in the run up to the next election.

Fambo Number Mive

That's the whole point of the straw and cotton bud story. No matter what is revealed about Windrush, most of the press will focus on Theresa May being the PM who got plastic straws and cotton buds banned. "What did Corbyn do to get plastic straws banned" people would ask. Even if Corbyn was part of the anti straw movement they'd still ask it.

idunnosomename

Jeremy Corbyn retweeted a painting with a plastic spoon in it

Jeremy Corbyn put all his shopping in a plastic bag at Sainsburys self check out and then answered "0" to how many bags he used

Jeremy Corbyn put on a rubber johnny to have a wank over Battleship Potemkin

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA grieving mother last night blamed the Windrush scandal for the death of her son – who became 'very depressed' as he fought to prove he was not an illegal immigrant.

Sentina Bristol said that her son, Dexter, had spent the last year of his life trying to untangle his immigration status with the Home Office...

Dexter had apparently faced Home Office delays when trying to get records that could have proved he was in the country legally.

On March 31, Dexter collapsed in the street outside his home and died aged 57. Last night, Mrs Bristol claimed the stress had contributed to her son's death and called on the Prime Minister to resign.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5631731/Mother-blames-sons-death-stress-trying-prove-wasnt-illegal-migrant.html

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 19, 2018, 08:17:35 AM
Implemented in 2010 by the fun coalition.

How much involvement do you think ministers had in such a decision? a lot?

If so, you need to look at the decision back in 2009 under Labour

Sebastian Cobb

I only use cotton wool buds for dipping in isopropyl alcohol and cleaning electronics, vapes and earbuds; they're useful for that, might have to buy another box before the ban, it'll probably do me for life.

Incidentally that news thing said the problem is they get flushed down the bog. Which of you cunts are doing that?

Uncle TechTip

They're replacing the plastic with paper. This is by no means an attack on the cotton bud industry.

Sebastian Cobb

Fair enough. Got pipe cleaners anyway.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteA Point of Order by @DawnButlerBrent has just confirmed that Jeremy Corbyn was correct at #PMQs...

https://twitter.com/PaulJSweeney/status/986594765155328002

gilbertharding

In any case, destroying the records - as stupid as that is - is a complete red herring.

It's the subsequent change in the laws that require people to produce those records which is the evil thing. Except, even now, I am afraid there is a large, increasingly emboldened to be vocal minority who are totally fine with all this.

imitationleather

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 20, 2018, 11:43:28 AM
Except, even now, I am afraid there is a large, increasingly emboldened to be vocal minority who are totally fine with all this.

They're keeping quiet, or just being ignored by the news and that, but I can imagine a large amount of people don't care/think this is a good thing. Always start from the baseline that a lot of people are cunts, and work from there. That's what my Nan always used to tell me.

Buelligan

Perhaps we should try the old switcheroo on them.  If they can't produce four pieces of evidence for every year they've been in the UK to establish they are certainly and beyond doubt, not racist, why then, they should be sent to live on an island somewhere far, far, away.  Any appeals can be heard afterwards. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-shout-rubbish-diane-abbott-12414957

Self-awareness fail, old Tories bellowing 'rubbish' at Diane Abbott's claim that Windrush folk have been made to feel unwelcome in the UK.

Paul Calf

That wouldn't play very well with the public if anyone but The Mirror bothered to report it.

olliebean

The latest on this seems to be that the Windrush people will be able to apply for citizenship without having to pay the usual fee or sit the usual tests. Doesn't this completely miss the point that they are already citizens, and have been for 60 years? I don't understand what this means - has their existing citizenship been rescinded, so now they've got to apply to get it back? I mean, if so, well done for not making them pay to get back what's rightfully theirs, but what the fuck?

Flouncer

Quote from: gilbertharding on April 20, 2018, 11:43:28 AM
In any case, destroying the records - as stupid as that is - is a complete red herring.

It's the subsequent change in the laws that require people to produce those records which is the evil thing. Except, even now, I am afraid there is a large, increasingly emboldened to be vocal minority who are totally fine with all this.

They must be feeling a bit disenfranchised now that even the Mail are crying foul, but there are indeed a lot of people who support throwing brown people out of the country regardless of the circumstance. I imagine these people will become more conspicuous now that compensation for the victims of this policy is on the cards.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Did anyone see the letter David Lammy received?

People who cannot accept black people as being 'British' (heard the term 'ethnically British' the other day, which is one of the more laughable concepts out there) think that even black MPs are simply being allowed to stay here out of kindness. "Go back" - Lammy was born here.

This governs their view of them as lesser citizens.

Every black person this individual sees, they think "we're doing you a favour, you owe us".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Also, for someone calling another a little child, they need to work on which words they capitalise in their letters.

hedgehog90

Random capitalization like that most likely indicates that the author is not a native English speaker. #irony

idunnosomename

I can just imagine a very angry elderly bald white bloke sitting in his local library all day, typing that out off the top of his head with one finger, then paying 10p to print it out.

And the capitalisation and spelling is so hopelessly naive, unlike a lot of hate mail MPs receive, I think it's 100% sincere. It's probably what a lot of Daily Mail letters look like before they're edited and proof-read.

Cuellar

phantom_power

That letter is so clearly the work of a 90-year-old who can't work a computer properly, with all that oddly formal language

idunnosomename

Also because he couldn't just look at Lammy's wikipedia page to check "wherever he originally came from"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

By originally, all the author means is 'whichever place blacks live".

idunnosomename

He could also have looked up "black people" on wikipedia