Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:39:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Influential films that are a bit rubs really

Started by Desirable Industrial Unit, April 18, 2018, 01:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desirable Industrial Unit

Some films have a legacy much longer than their running time.  Maybe they spark a new sub-genre, maybe they stick a firework up the arse of a moribund cinematic scene.  Whatever it is, they cause a ripple that extends around them, even if they only played in cinemas for a short time.

With all that said, I've concluded that Jim Carter's original 'Halloween' is a bunch of arse.  I used to stretch to see things in it, but it's just such a plodding, weary chore of a thing.  I know, I know, the template for 80s slashers, but they had enough to rip off from the Italians.  It's an unforgivably dull film that has a reputation of greatness because it either arrived at the right time, or...  actually, I can't think of a second condition.

Pulp Fiction can fuck of and all.

What are your nominations?

newbridge

*Jimohn Carterprenter throws laptop at wall*

zomgmouse

There's always gonna be people who don't see value in things that had a huge impact at the time as the things they influenced have possibly eclipsed the originals. However I always try to put things in context, and many of those original things are still incredibly impressive and powerful even without that.

What I'm trying to say is EVERYONE'S A BLOODY CRITIC

Bence Fekete

So many.
The Bourne Trilogy (ALL OF THEM)
Star Wars (ALL OF THEM)
The Matrix (ALL OF THEM)
Paranormal Activity (ALL OF THEM)
Saw (ALL OF THEM)
Lord of the Rings (ALL OF THEM)

I think human centipede 1 and 2 are great, but they are almost certainly terrible movies.  Horror's interesting though because every once in a while someone articulates a fear poetically enough it transcends the quality control membrane. 

greenman

CaB has hit peak contrarian, I mean being critical of Saw AND Paranormal Activity?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bence Fekete on April 18, 2018, 05:25:28 AM
The Bourne Trilogy (ALL OF THEM)
I'll (half heartedly) stick up for the first one. Paul Greengrass' ones are indeed cack, though. Just potboiler action pap - with inept action scenes.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 18, 2018, 08:59:32 AM
I'll (half heartedly) stick up for the first one. Paul Greengrass' ones are indeed cack, though. Just potboiler action pap - with inept action scenes.

I really enjoy all of them. In what universe are the action scenes inept?  What recent films do that kind of thing better?

All of them. All action films in all universes are better than Greengrass' shaky cam shite.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 18, 2018, 09:12:34 AM
All of them. All action films in all universes are better than Greengrass' shaky cam shite.

I agree that there's too much fast cutting and shakiness, but that seems to be universal these days. The action sequences are still great though, particularly the car chases.

idunnosomename

aren't all films a bit rubs. just people pretending to be other people. bit stupid really

Phil_A

Do we really need another thread of "I've not seen Popular Thing X"? Especially given there's already one along similar lines in GB.

These kind of diacussions always seem to turn into willy waving contests about who can be the most pop-culture illiterate. It just makes me feel tired...so very tired.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 18, 2018, 09:12:34 AM
tbh, you watch a green action film for the cutting and shaky cam

Funcrusher

Quote from: Phil_A on April 18, 2018, 09:51:23 AM
Do we really need another thread of "I've not seen Popular Thing X"? Especially given there's already one along similar lines in GB.

These kind of diacussions always seem to turn into willy waving contests about who can be the most pop-culture illiterate. It just makes me feel tired...so very tired.

True enough. Anyway, 'Halloween' isn't shit and that's that.

NoSleep

Jimmy Carter was making horror films while still president?

Halloween came after Black Christmas and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, anyway.

Quote from: Phil_A on April 18, 2018, 09:51:23 AM
Then don't read it.

popcorn

I am amazed that anyone could fail to find Pulp Fiction wildly entertaining. It's one of the great crowdpleasers of contemporary cinema, with good reason. It's so easy to enjoy.

Unlike The Godfather, the world's most boring film. All it is is a lot of boring men in rooms talking about things happening in other rooms that you can't see. No one gets stabbed with a katana or accidentally shot in the face. Absolute bollocks.

greenman

Quote from: popcorn on April 18, 2018, 11:25:27 AM
I am amazed that anyone could fail to find Pulp Fiction wildly entertaining. It's one of the great crowdpleasers of contemporary cinema, with good reason. It's so easy to enjoy.

The opposite there really, the vast majority of films inspired by QT were shite(can't think of much good but Sexy Beast) until the rise of the McDonagh's.

The first Star Wars film was the worst until they made the prequels and new ones. I always found it a bit of a chore compared to the others in the original trilogy.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: greenman on April 18, 2018, 03:16:37 PM
The opposite there really, the vast majority of films inspired by QT were shite(can't think of much good but Sexy Beast) until the rise of the McDonagh's.

Any film that's 'inspired' by Tarentino is bound to be shit given most of Tarentino's films are just pastiches (sorry 'inspired by') of various classics of genres most of his audience won't remember.

Jackie Brown is probably my favourite and one of the more original, even though that unashamedly robs loads from Blaxploitation.

They are entertaining though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thecuriousorange on April 18, 2018, 04:47:53 PM
The first Star Wars film was the worst until they made the prequels and new ones. I always found it a bit of a chore compared to the others in the original trilogy.

The later ones were basically just long toy adverts though.

Sebastian Cobb

The Pacino Scarface was long to the point of tedium.

Funcrusher

biggytitbo

The first Star Wars is the only one that's remotely acceptable, but they're all ultimately shite.

mothman

[tag]CaB Contrarian Thread no. 3648564360958357256739573083572136[/tag]

itsfredtitmus

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on April 18, 2018, 01:19:05 AM
Jim Carter's original 'Halloween'

Jim Carter's original 'Halloween'. Just let that sink in lads, Jim Carter's original 'Halloween'. I'm losing my mind.

Pulp Fiction can fuck off and all. Laser like insight there.

If you're going to start yet another one of these threads the opening post should at least be competently written with at least a scintilla of imagination and thought involved.

Witless.

Funcrusher

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 18, 2018, 07:23:50 PM
Jim Carter's original 'Halloween'. Just let that sink in lads, Jim Carter's original 'Halloween'. I'm losing my mind.

Pulp Fiction can fuck off and all. Laser like insight there.

If you're going to start yet another one of these threads the opening post should at least be competently written with at least a scintilla of imagination and thought involved.

Witless.

I think it might be a troll post.