Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:09:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What you reckon to this one then

Started by madhair60, April 18, 2018, 07:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: imitationleather on April 19, 2018, 01:31:28 PM
I think Barry has it cracked, really. She's stating these opinions not because she holds them but because it's a route to getting her name known. It's a horrible example of what the shit job market, the bear pit of internet fame and the ego massage of social media is doing to people. Those reacting to her statement and defending it as though this was stated earnestly are the ones getting played here.

I found this instructive and relevant:

QuoteI knew I'd hit gold when I started getting anon hate. "Anon hate," or anonymous hate messages sent through Tumblr's "Ask" feature, is a classic Tumblr scourge. But for a teen who cared only about how hot the guys in "Supernatural" are, getting anon hate was a blessing. It meant someone took time out of their day to read what I said on my stupid blog AND respond. It meant I was relevant.

Dr Syntax Head

Barry I think you meant to post that in a bleak thread in HS Art. Not trying to tell you how to forum or anything mate but y'know

Neville Chamberlain

Je ne comprends plus le monde.

I don't know why I wrote that in French. Or put it in italics.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Kelvin on April 19, 2018, 01:32:50 PM
But The Bible (and your other example, Atlus Shrugs) are not equivalent comparisons to any of the films in the OP tweet. The Bible is not about drama, or interesting characters. It is a guide for how to live your life. Yes, you might (perhaps unfairly) assume certain things about someone who said The Bible was their favourite book, but considering that the book is designed as a clearly defined set of values and principles, that is more reasonable (relatively) than judging someone who loves the comedy show Rick and Morty, or even something more political, like Fight Club.

It is easy to imagine someone loving Rick and Morty, Fight Club, Clockwork Orange and Catcher in The Rye without them subscribing to the philosophies of an unpleasant character. It is harder to imagine someone loving The Bible or Atlus Shrugs without subscribing to quite a large proportion of the ideology therein. The latter are about ideology and philosophy above all else. The former are as much about good stories, interesting, often conflicted characters, and simpler themes; they are not promoting entire, all encompassing ways of life.   

Indeed that's all true, but overlooks the whole "identity" thing. Consider people who enjoy South Park vs South Park libertarians.

Aside from all this, I'm bemused that longtime posters on the site that originated the meme Shit For Cunts and even abbreviated it are loudly virtue signalling that they would NEVER be snooty or judgmental, while judging the person in the OP for making a career on social media.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on April 19, 2018, 01:51:55 PM
Je ne comprends plus le monde.

I don't know why I wrote that in French. Or put it in italics.

It's ok because I don't know what it means. I don't speak French

Danger Man

Quote from: imitationleather on April 19, 2018, 01:31:28 PM
I don't doubt she is pleased with herself, but having to plead for employment in public like that is more humiliating than anything else.

I think Barry has it cracked, really. She's stating these opinions not because she holds them but because it's a route to getting her name known. It's a horrible example of what the shit job market, the bear pit of internet fame and the ego massage of social media is doing to people. Those reacting to her statement and defending it as though this was stated earnestly are the ones getting played here.

Told you it was a Gamergate thread.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 19, 2018, 01:53:23 PM
Indeed that's all true, but overlooks the whole "identity" thing. Consider people who enjoy South Park vs South Park libertarians.

Aside from all this, I'm bemused that longtime posters on the site that originated the meme Shit For Cunts and even abbreviated it are loudly virtue signalling that they would NEVER be snooty or judgmental, while judging the person in the OP for making a career on social media.

I'm not sure we're judging the person I think we're evaluating what she's written. She might be proper decent in real life but her assumptions are stupid and her motives are very open for discussion.

imitationleather

Quote from: Danger Man on April 19, 2018, 01:54:20 PM
Told you it was a Gamergate thread.

I still don't really understand what Gamergate was. It's probably best to not attempt to explain it to me. There's a limit to how many pages this forum can handle.

Neville Chamberlain

Haha, me neither. To me it's just shorthand for "internet stupidity on a grand scale".

Mister Six

Buelligan

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 19, 2018, 01:37:57 PM
I found this instructive and relevant:

QuoteI knew I'd hit gold when I started getting anon hate. "Anon hate," or anonymous hate messages sent through Tumblr's "Ask" feature, is a classic Tumblr scourge. But for a teen who cared only about how hot the guys in "Supernatural" are, getting anon hate was a blessing. It meant someone took time out of their day to read what I said on my stupid blog AND respond. It meant I was relevant.

What's genuinely frightening to me is that it seems it's not necessary to understand a thing, care about it or know anything at all about it to gain an audience and pontificate on that subject. 

More and more it seems we're listening to the opinions of people who kno fuck all except a few snappy quotes or titles (a bit like Manics lyric writers) and we're not just listening to them, many of us are being guided by them. 

Burn these fuckers right down to the ground children, they will do us no good at all.

Still, we're all tired of experts.

pancreas

Quote from: Buelligan on April 19, 2018, 03:35:54 PM

What's genuinely frightening to me is that it seems it's not necessary to understand a thing, care about it or know anything about it to gain an audience and pontificate on that subject. 

More and more it seems we're listening to the opinions of people who kno fuck all except a few snappy quotes or titles (a bit like Manics lyric writers) and we're not just listening to them, many of us are being guided by them. 

Guardian opinion writers, for example.

Dr Syntax Head

At least the Manics lyric writers do it to brilliant music. There's that.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on April 19, 2018, 01:32:50 PM
Yes, you might (perhaps unfairly) assume certain things about someone who said The Bible was their favourite book, but considering that the book is designed as a clearly defined set of values and principles, that is more reasonable (relatively) than judging someone who loves the comedy show Rick and Morty, or even something more political, like Fight Club.

It is easy to imagine someone loving Rick and Morty, Fight Club, Clockwork Orange and Catcher in The Rye without them subscribing to the philosophies of an unpleasant character.

Especially when none (er, I haven't actually read Catcher in the Rye and always get it mixed up with To Kill a Mockingbird to maybe not that one) of the stories mentioned actually endorse the character's philosophies - and in some cases, such as Fight Club, actively repudiate them.

I'm usually on (Ex poster)' team with this stuff, but he's way off base here.

Barry Admin

It's just so patronising and creepy to feverishly agree with everything women say, especially when it's in some way critical of men.

Buelligan

Everyone should go away and read Catcher in the Rye.  You must all agree, starting...

NOW!!!!1!!

Seriously though, you should, it's a lovely book.

Sin Agog

my read on this is that art is good, everyone should take in the widest array of art possible, even 'problematic' art can be valuable or even a favourite, don't judge someone's moral character solely on the art they like, art shouldn't have to have morally pure intentions, sometimes art should just be allowed to be repugnant and transgressive and shit you up, you can get a lot of easy 'likes' from bashing Rick and Morty or Fight Club nowadays, it's not worth getting heat up about what some teenage girl says on tumblr, go and enjoy the art you like because nobody is actually taking it away

Danger Man

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 19, 2018, 11:50:21 PM
It's just so patronising and creepy to feverishly agree with everything women say, especially when it's in some way critical of men.

Only certain women. Louise Mensch doesn't tend to get agreed with on here, for example.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 20, 2018, 12:12:08 AM
my read on this is that art is good, everyone should take in the widest array of art possible, even 'problematic' art can be valuable or even a favourite, don't judge someone's moral character solely on the art they like, art shouldn't have to have morally pure intentions, sometimes art should just be allowed to be repugnant and transgressive and shit you up, you can get a lot of easy 'likes' from bashing Rick and Morty or Fight Club nowadays, it's not worth getting heat up about what some teenage girl says on tumblr, go and enjoy the art you like because nobody is actually taking it away

Thought this was a very good post, up until the end. No one thinks it's being taken away, and it's rather frustrating to continually be characterised as being all angry about something, when you're just calmly debating it.

i'm not accusing anybody of anything, i'm just saying thank god these people aren't in charge

Barry Admin

thenoise

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 19, 2018, 12:25:26 PM
Get Charade on

Creepy 50 something male lies to and manipulates 20 something female but she falls in love with him anyway? Yeah that's a much less problematic favourite.

P.s. I love Charade

Funcrusher

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 20, 2018, 12:12:08 AM

Would agree with Barry that this is a wholly fair and reasonable summary, with slight reservations about the last bit. Saying flat out or implying that someone is a creep for liking this or that film isn't censorship and doesn't stop anyone from watching it, but it has an effect. In the same way that the right-wing establishment and the Tory press don't respond to Corbyn by banning Labour, they just tell you you're voting for the terrorists friend if you support them.

Sin Agog

Quote from: thenoise on April 20, 2018, 10:55:23 AM
Creepy 50 something male lies to and manipulates 20 something female but she falls in love with him anyway? Yeah that's a much less problematic favourite.

P.s. I love Charade

I was thinking of Roman Holiday in particular, but that's literally the exact same plot.  Same goes for Funny Face, Sabrina and My Fair Lady (60-something?).  Thanks for ruining life for me.

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 20, 2018, 12:07:35 PM
Would agree with Barry that this is a wholly fair and reasonable summary, with slight reservations about the last bit. Saying flat out or implying that someone is a creep for liking this or that film isn't censorship and doesn't stop anyone from watching it, but it has an effect. In the same way that the right-wing establishment and the Tory press don't respond to Corbyn by banning Labour, they just tell you you're voting for the terrorists friend if you support them.

I do see where you're coming from, but I would say that there's nothing 'establishment' about these Tumblr teenagers with bad opinions so I'm unsure that their views have enough currency to really be concerned about

Sin Agog

Extremely Online People are prone to inflate the internet's effects on the wider world 'cause they're Extremely Online People.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 20, 2018, 12:54:04 PM
I do see where you're coming from, but I would say that there's nothing 'establishment' about these Tumblr teenagers with bad opinions so I'm unsure that their views have enough currency to really be concerned about

Agreed, but this particular line of thought is in places like The Guardian, Huff Post and elsewhere which do have currency.

ieXush2i

Funcrusher

Yeah, like we haven't done this a hundred times already