Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What you reckon to this one then

Started by madhair60, April 18, 2018, 07:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 19, 2018, 11:50:21 PM
It's just so patronising and creepy to feverishly agree with everything women say, especially when it's in some way critical of men.

Not to mention impossible, as women have been known to disagree with each other too.

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 20, 2018, 01:08:14 PM
Agreed, but this particular line of thought is in places like The Guardian, Huff Post and elsewhere which do have currency.

This is actually quite true, there's a creeping "is this piece of art morally pure?" element to quite a lot of the thinkpieces in those publications, which suggests that they're missing the whole point of art somewhat. The cultural reach of these ideas is debatable though, I honestly think that most people don't perceive art through an ideological prism at all.

imitationleather

Quote from: icehaven on April 20, 2018, 01:23:27 PM
Not to mention impossible, as women have been known to disagree with each other too.

My missus as a general rule doesn't tend to like other women.

ieXush2i

Exactly! What a ludicrous charge

Buelligan

No we don't.

Funcrusher

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 20, 2018, 03:30:53 PM

It's certainly possible for some women to think that they speak for all women and for them and their male allies to just ignore any dissenting views.

Buelligan

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 20, 2018, 03:50:55 PM
It's certainly possible for some women to think that they speak for all women and for them and their male allies to just ignore any dissenting views.

And some women, many of the great dictators of World history, for example, don't just ignore dissenting views.  No. 

They track down the holders of such views, torture them until they dob in all of their associates (real or not) and shove them in gulags and all manner of nasty places, even doing some to actual death.  Terrible but what can you expect?

Funcrusher

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2018, 03:57:13 PM
And some women, many of the great dictators of World history, for example, don't just ignore dissenting views.  No. 

They track down the holders of such views, torture them until they dob in all of their associates (real or not) and shove them in gulags and all manner of nasty places, even doing some to actual death.  Terrible but what can you expect?

I don't understand the point you're making here.

Buelligan

I'm not making a point, just agreeing with you (and expanding a bit perhaps).

Barry Admin

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 20, 2018, 03:30:53 PM

Example: Laurie Penny tweets "Men are trash' is a phrase I adore because it implies *waste*"

You, of course, slavishly defend her and start attacking everyone who criticises her dumb comment:

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 06, 2018, 12:37:11 PM
How do you frame this in the context of MeToo biggy? Just so no-one gets the impression you're a fragile male snowflake triggered by the mildest of mild comments regarding your gender.

Quote from: Barry Admin on February 06, 2018, 01:48:28 PM
Can you not just acknowledge that her statement was either idiotic and harmful to the discussion, or outright provocation? Even though she's a woman?

Quote from: (Ex poster) on February 06, 2018, 01:59:53 PM
Not really, she was finding a positive spin on a phrase no-one has previously found offensive outside of "But when's International Men's Day eh?" circles but she's the designated feminist hate figure for clever people so people take grandiose umbrage I guess.

"Waste" means there was potential or value unrealised but it doesn't seem a lot of people bothered to read past "men are trash".

And then Laurie Penny herself acknowledges that it was bad writing.

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on February 06, 2018, 08:56:55 PM

That kind of thing. Automatically siding with women - usually when they're being critical of men - isn't equality. Rather it is, as I said, patronising and creepy.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2018, 04:08:43 PM
I'm not making a point, just agreeing with you (and expanding a bit perhaps).

Fair dos, agreement is always better than division.

Buelligan

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 20, 2018, 04:26:10 PM
Fair dos, agreement is always better than division.

I love it when you reveal your magnanimous.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 20, 2018, 04:27:11 PM
Good one Igor.
Def 1:a clumsy semi-retarded excuse for a human. Ocassionaly has sex with goats and other animals. It is basically the definition of an asspirate, cock juggling, cum guzzling, thundercunted 5 cent street whore all in one.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 20, 2018, 04:18:37 PM

That kind of thing. Automatically siding with women - usually when they're being critical of men - isn't equality. Rather it is, as I said, patronising and creepy.

Patronising is exactly what it is. It's just a continuation of a Victorian paternalistic view of women as the radiant sex who are better than base male ruffians. If feminism is 'the radical notion that women are human beings' that means that women have the human vices as well as the virtues. It's not putting someone on a pedestal.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Buelligan on April 20, 2018, 04:29:40 PM
I love it when you reveal your magnanimous.

That time I revealed my magnanimous was an honest mistake officer.

Buelligan

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 20, 2018, 04:31:21 PM
Patronising is exactly what it is. It's just a continuation of a Victorian paternalistic view of women as the radiant sex who are better than base male ruffians. If feminism is 'the radical notion that women are human beings' that means that women have the human vices as well as the virtues. It's not putting someone on a pedestal.

Surely that would be the Ancient Greeks or Romans?  Victorians would plump for a penny-farthing.

ieXush2i

Quote from: Barry Admin on April 20, 2018, 04:18:37 PM
Example: Laurie Penny tweets "Men are trash' is a phrase I adore because it implies *waste*"

You, of course, slavishly defend her and start attacking everyone who criticises her dumb comment:

And then Laurie Penny herself acknowledges that it was bad writing.

Laurie Penny is every woman now, then? Then I suppose it would be fair to say you disagree with every woman.

Barry Admin

It's something you always do in these kinds of threads, I gave that as an example, and referred to it as such. You're just playing dumb.

ieXush2i

That's the thing, it's not really proof of me always agreeing with women (because you know full well that isn't true) - fucking hell, Buelligan and I aren't in agreement in this very thread - but is a good example of your Laurie Penny hatred.

And no, of course your laughable "always siding with women" thing isn't equality. Who on earth would think that's what equality is? It's a nice non sequitur, whatever you're going for.

Barry Admin

Ah yes my Laurie Penny hatred. Not sure your usual "no u" response will fly there, given that people will surely notice I don't comment on her much, yet lots of people have noticed your weird, creepy attitude to women. Anyway, see you in the next one of these threads where you drum up desperately needed attention for yourself by defending some dumb shit just because a woman has said it.

Here's a doozy from a GQ article called 21 Books You Don't Have To Read: https://www.gq.com/story/21-books-you-dont-have-to-read

Drivel.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 20, 2018, 06:46:20 PM

Drivel.

Typical straight white cunt.

Google reveals that she's the daughter of Art Spiegelman, creator of 'Maus'. Doesn't look like she's going to create as impressive a body of work (although I've not read 'Maus'.)

Sin Agog

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 20, 2018, 07:01:45 PM
Typical straight white cunt.

Google reveals that she's the daughter of Art Spiegelman, creator of 'Maus'. Doesn't look like she's going to create as impressive a body of work (although I've not read 'Maus'.)

holy shit, i didn't clock that

Art Spiegelman was always honest about his personal shortcomings in his work. That's part of what makes great art, is laying it all out there. The ugly, complicated truth. The worst thing an artist can be is disingenuous or dissembling. In terms of the qualities that make for great art, 'wholesomeness' is not up there

imitationleather

Fucking LOL.

"I don't think Slaughterhouse-Five is a good book like you do. I think it's bad aaaaaah!"

Dr Syntax Head

Here's a doozy from a GQ article called 21 Books You Don't Have To Read: https://www.gq.com/story/21-books-you-dont-have-to-read

Drivel.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Soup

Vonnegut can be quite shit at writing women, depending on the novel. I don't understand why Veronica is an alternative to it, anymore than Jimmy Hill is an alternative to dairy.