Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:51:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What you reckon to this one then

Started by madhair60, April 18, 2018, 07:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 18, 2018, 09:10:49 AM
It's interesting how we all know CaB doesn't literally want to kill Quentin "End The Man" Letts but this person definitely meant you should actually physically run.

Nobody thinks this, Neville was using the same language as in the OP blog to communicate the same tone.

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 18, 2018, 09:11:56 AM
Poor Graham, he cuts a sad figure these days.

Anyway, why is Madhair following this teenage girl on Tumblr, the massive paedo.

I saw it on Twitter and thought it might be interesting to discuss, I figured it'd probably kick off but not before anything interesting had been said whatsoever.

Blumf

Funcrusher

Quote from: madhair60 on April 18, 2018, 09:14:23 AM

I saw it on Twitter and thought it might be interesting to discuss, I figured it'd probably kick off but not before anything interesting had been said whatsoever.

I don't really think you're a paedo, honest. At least this thread provided some amusing posturing from (Ex poster). There somewhat of a sensible conversation to be had about this topic, but the usual knockabout stuff is inevitable.

madhair60

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 18, 2018, 09:22:51 AM
I don't really think you're a paedo, honest. At least this thread provided some amusing posturing from (Ex poster). There somewhat of a sensible conversation to be had about this topic, but the usual knockabout stuff is inevitable.

Your responses do contribute to that, it has to be said! Just ignore the little digs and nastiness and respond to the points made. I realise I have effortlessly failed to do that.

ieXush2i

Quote from: madhair60 on April 18, 2018, 09:14:23 AM
Nobody thinks this, Neville was using the same language as in the OP blog to communicate the same tone.

Hm. Now who's the disingenuous one?

spamwangler

From my experience, I dont think this idea holds water, I've plenty of friends who's enjoyment of a film isn't directly related to the central protagonists ideology, my favourite films of the last couple of years have been ones that are completely out of sync with my own principles, - beware anyone who thinks that a film is a self help book inni.

Funcrusher

Quote from: madhair60 on April 18, 2018, 09:24:30 AM
Your responses do contribute to that, it has to be said! Just ignore the little digs and nastiness and respond to the points made. I realise I have effortlessly failed to do that.

(Ex poster) is the worst though - let me set up a trapdoor question about Bronies and then I'll be able to crow self righteously when someone gives the 'wrong' answer.

phantom_power

I am not sure why people are getting worked up by this. Of course it is a bit of a generalisation and liking those things doesn't make you a monster but, certainly when it comes to Fight Club and Rick and Morty, their fans have a bit of a reputation. Rick and Morty particularly. I love the show but when the show's creators come out and say their fan base is a bit toxic then you know there is something to it.

I think the original point may have more justification if she is suggesting you run if all those things are a person's favourites because the intersection of various arsehole fanbases might be too great to be a coincidence.

On the other hand if someone posted how you should run away from women who like 50 Shades or some Chick Lit classic they would probably be accused of sexism so I don't really know where it gets us. Probably best not to pay much attention to a tweet or whatever it was that was probably made somewhat in jest anyway

Ornlu

ieXush2i

Quote from: phantom_power on April 18, 2018, 09:29:03 AM
I am not sure why people are getting worked up by this. Of course it is a bit of a generalisation and liking those things doesn't make you a monster but, certainly when it comes to Fight Club and Rick and Morty, their fans have a bit of a reputation. Rick and Morty particularly. I love the show but when the show's creators come out and say their fan base is a bit toxic then you know there is something to it.

I think the original point may have more justification if she is suggesting you run if all those things are a person's favourites because the intersection of various arsehole fanbases might be too great to be a coincidence.

On the other hand if someone posted how you should run away from women who like 50 Shades or some Chick Lit classic they would probably be accused of sexism so I don't really know where it gets us. Probably best not to pay much attention to a tweet or whatever it was that was probably made somewhat in jest anyway

No it must be condemned in the strongest possible terms

jobotic

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 18, 2018, 08:35:29 AM
The other thing with people who like these kinds of films is that they may be from the lower classes and so best avoided because they tend to be rather ghastly.

Really? I'd more associate the people who have Tarantino films as their favourites as braying cunts in Clapham pubs fifteen years ago. We all have our prejudices.

madhair60

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 18, 2018, 09:25:16 AM
Hm. Now who's the disingenuous one?

Point taken. I think I'm self-loathing.

Funcrusher

Quote from: jobotic on April 18, 2018, 09:32:54 AM
Really? I'd more associate the people who have Tarantino films as their favourites as braying cunts in Clapham pubs fifteen years ago. We all have our prejudices.

Tarantino's name hasn't even come into the thread until now, so it's a bit of a wide net we're casting. The likes of Scum, Made In Britain and Get Carter were being drawn in when I made that comment. And there's definitely a whiff about these sorts of conversations of people who are less educated than me enjoy these things in the wrong way, whereas I am sophisticated enough to enjoy them in the right way.

I Spit on Your Grave, the original, is a possible example.  The director claimed to be making an anti-rape statement after his experience of helping someone just raped.

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 18, 2018, 09:38:44 AM
Tarantino's name hasn't even come into the thread until now, so it's a bit of a wide net we're casting. The likes of Scum, Made In Britain and Get Carter were being drawn in when I made that comment. And there's definitely a whiff about these sorts of conversations of people who are less educated than me enjoy these things in the wrong way, whereas I am sophisticated enough to enjoy them in the right way.
go on, have a look at the comments on the uploaded copy of mib

Nerd women deserve nerd men & vice versa.

idunnosomename

Hah. Oh wow. I have a Sisters of Battle army too. And while I didn't like the new Ghostbusters film much, it was a film that NEEDED TO HAPPEN.

spamwangler

I think the only real way you find out if someone is a toxic rick and morty fan or just an admirer of its mad invention and hilarious japes, if someone is a brattish nietzsche-wanker or a fan of david fincher, is to actually get to know them.

Its fun to judge people on their media consumption tastes, but you dont really get any kind of depth of the measure of someone through that i dont think. It often feels like its a good indicator because FANBOYS who throw their entire soul at a bit of media make it seem so black and white, but lots of people have much more hands off, nuanced relations with their environs, and if you use the same measuring stick for them, it dosent  work

- Ive got friends whose favorite films would be all the apparent 'warning sign' films mentioned in the post on the top here, who definatley do not aspire to any of the central ideas of the characters, - their interest in those films is in other aspects of it, they know that theres all these toxic masculinity ideas going on in them, but their interest is in other things about the film. They would probably argue that if you chucked out every film with cunt-blokes in it, you wouldnt get much left.

the assumption that they have 'probably misunderstood the point of the work and are instead idolizing the male protagonist' - i think is the interesting bit in that post, - it assumes that there is only one way to enjoy a bit of work - the way the 'person who made it' - intended it to be made - how does that work with something like fight club - a book some bloke wrote, which someone then did a screenplay of, which some other bloke directed a film of, with a load of actors pulling the characters in different directions - its not one persons message, - a film is a shambles of people pulling in different directions, it doesnt have one central 'point' necessarily

if you used this general rule of thumb, and RAN away from anyone who's film choice favors cameras pointed at cunt-blokes, youre assuming that their reading of the film is simplistic and dumb, which in its self is a simplistic and dumb reading

i think fight club is crap for the record

Funcrusher

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 18, 2018, 09:44:58 AM
go on, have a look at the comments on the uploaded copy of mib

You and (Ex poster) always seem to get along very well, which is nice.

ieXush2i

phantom_power

I am not sure the original point is all that serious and not just a bit of a dopey generalisation that makes a good pithy tweet/tumblr post, that makes a bit of a point about a certain sort of fanbase that those works attract. I doubt it is a guiding principle that they live by

But yeah, like a lot of pithy quotes if you dig a bit deeper they are built on sand

Funcrusher

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: AllisonSays on April 18, 2018, 08:30:47 AM
Catcher in the Rye is interesting because although I don't think Salinger wants us to admire Caulfield, I have definitely spoken to some young men (and a woman, in fact) who were wholly invested in his adolescent railing against the phonies and so on. Probably a similar dynamic to the reception of Fight Club except I don't care about that because I thought both book and film were shite.

I actually do admire Holden. Beneath his posturing hipster tendencies he's a very empathetic, perceptive, funny person trying his best to deal with the trauma of his brother's death and come to terms with his nascent depression. I've come across a few people who've dismissed the book as a sort of manifesto for disaffected nihilists, and it always puts me out a bit.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 18, 2018, 10:07:31 AM
I actually do admire Holden. Beneath his posturing hipster tendencies he's a very empathetic, perceptive, funny person trying his best to deal with the trauma of his brother's death and come to terms with his nascent depression. It always puts me out a bit when people dismiss the book as a sort of manifesto for disaffected nihilists.

RUN! (not really)

itsfredtitmus

my god
first monsieur was bants' sock now i am

ieXush2i

spamwangler

Quote from: phantom_power on April 18, 2018, 10:04:21 AM
I am not sure the original point is all that serious and not just a bit of a dopey generalisation that makes a good pithy tweet/tumblr post, that makes a bit of a point about a certain sort of fanbase that those works attract. I doubt it is a guiding principle that they live by

But yeah, like a lot of pithy quotes if you dig a bit deeper they are built on sand

you might be right - though i do think that dopey generalization/making judgments about people because of their media consumption is a very common practice - not so much a guiding life principle, but a lazy parlor game that people play so that they can judge whole groups of people  - hhahaha those rick and morty sechuan virgins they think theyre so clever because the main protagonist has a lab coat on - and retain a moral high ground/not actually offer any interesting analysis of media/social groups, rendering them just as thick and shite as their accusations

Sebastian Cobb

I reckon the 'hot take' is better than this thread.

Just burst out laughing in a toilet cubicle at the notion of (Ex poster) accusing someone else of puffing their chest.

Funcrusher

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 18, 2018, 10:11:18 AM
my god
first monsieur was bants' sock now i am

You can't be (Ex poster) because you never use capital letters.