Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

funny music

Started by bollocks, April 18, 2018, 03:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vic spanner

Kunt And The Gang, definitely. But everyone just has to hear the Bad News album - 'Introduction to Excalibur' in particular is excruciatingly funny.

Quote from: Captain Z on April 18, 2018, 09:09:11 PM

A comedian I saw live around 2010 who did an hour as a character of a hospital radio DJ playing ever-increasingly inappropriate songs dedicated to patients. 'Brian who's in for a triple bypass' = whoaaa-oaaa-ooaaahh... building a bridge to your heart; 'just given birth to a 12lb baby boy' = nothing's fine, I'm torn; 'Spiderman action figure stuck up his anus' = "search for the hero inside yourself". Probably sounds quite cliche now and I'm sure it's been done before but it was the first time I'd seen a live stand-up do a show in this way. Anyone recognise the identity of this comedian?

Ivan Brackenbury, a character of Tom Binns. Saw him a few times around the same time as you, always very inventive and enjoyable.

alan nagsworth

I find myself more obsessed with quick-as-a-flash little moments in songs that make me laugh, as opposed to out-and-out comedy music. I do obviously love Ween, Bonzo Dog Band, Flight of the Conchords and whatnot, but I'm much more drawn to tiny little bits of songs that completely blow any seriousness out of the water for a split second.

Three examples:

"Dive" by Cardiacs, which kicks in at a blistering pace after the sombre brass of the interlude track with that "HELLO" (which itself is abruptly cut short by the song bursting in). Incredible.

"Last Rushup 10" by The Tuss/Aphex Twin. There's a fucking horrible demonic synth hook that kicks in about halfway into this tune which is incredibly sinister and changes the mood of the song drastically. Then, about a minute later, the same riff plays but on a really daft farty sounding synth that is ushered in by the most goofy and intrusive QUACK!! that makes me laugh hard every time I hear it.

"Put Your Number in My Phone" by Ariel Pink. This is a dreamy psychedelic tune which is about meeting a girl and asking for her number. However, the bridge section is a voicemail on Pink's phone from a girl who claims to have met him in a shop and, having exchanged numbers, is perplexed at how she hasn't heard back from him. The message ends as the chorus comes in to close the song, the twee intent of which is now revealed to be utterly obnoxious and false. I consider that to be excellent comedic songwriting.

It's this willingness to disregard any established mood in favour of something utterly absurd that is proper musical comedic brilliance for me.

That said, Ween's "HIV Song" is completely fucking stupid from beginning to end and I love that tune to pieces.

sevendaughters

I quite liked Pleaseeasaur / JP Incorporated when it was a low-rent touring act rather than a wannabe Adult Swim thing. I think, while it was lightly parodic of dismal commercial music, it was just coming from a really weird inner place that I never get from most musical comedians. Such a strange performer too.

LA Nights 2: Even Hotter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKzy0Owtios
Pizza Brothers & Sons Inc.  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6gBsh3T00

Shaky

Psmith

Now Ernie had a rival
An evil looking man
Called Two Ton Ted from Teddington
And he drove the bakers van....

Quote from: Captain Z on April 18, 2018, 09:09:11 PM

Stewart Lee - The CV episode that references guitar-weilding comedians, and ends with the toaster song, is possibly my favourite 30 mins of standup ever, although the main thing I find funny about the song itself is the interruption at the end.

"Your a liar, and your pants are lit on fire,' is a line I just love.  Gets a big laugh from the audience, too.

magval

The music that plays when Homer looks at the family and imagines they're all clowns, which I think is in other episodes too, is quite a funny piece of music in an of itself.

The last time I remember nearly throwing up from laughing was when my brother played me theme music from Bertha, the extended LP version that's on Youtube. There's this rising seven-note thing that matches the singer saying "you are a lovely ma-chine", and the combination of those notes and the instrument they're played on had me in stitches. When the vocals came in on top of it the second time around I couldn't open my eyes I was laughing so hard.

I'd say that's enough removed from any kind of context to qualify as purely funny music that's amusing in and of itself, and that isn't even designed to be funny, and wasn't presented to me as something I'd find funny.

The sense of humour is an odd thing.

jobotic

No one has mentioned Negativland or People like Us yet?

I'll start with one of the hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCu4e_1MSCI

It's..it's not even funny.

Yussef Dent

I don't know if they are still going, but there was a band called Warlords of Pez from Ireland who I'd heard about, they made me laugh, and I watched them about 5am in the morning somewhere in Shangri La at Glastonbury. They had a song called Pissing on Swans, repeatedly chanting the lyrics "we are pissing on swans, won't you join us, pissing on swans."

Tim Heidecker's Oscar Medley with Dekkar from the On Cinema Oscar Special a couple of years back is a corker. He introduces it by mentioning the songs that Billy Crystal would do when he hosted the Oscars, and his version would be an homage to all the films nominated for best picture that year, but done in his own way. It then launches into a rock medley where all the lyrics bear no relevance whatsoever to the films mentioned, the likelihood being Tim's not watched any of them (The Revenant is referred to as "Relevant"), some just with lines that happen to rhyme with the film titles ("Mad Max, giving all the ladies heart attacks," "I'm standing on a Bridge of Spies, I'm sick of hearing all your goddamn lies."). It finished with a dreadfully misguided attempt at a Bowie tribute ballad when mentioning The Martian, which Tim can't help but crowbar his conservative political viewpoints in to.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Cuellar on April 18, 2018, 04:58:33 PM
Don't want to be tediously predictable but a comedy song I've genuinely enjoyed, and maybe the only, is Stewart Lee's 'Russel Brand's Wedding'.

I just think the lines:

"And if a comet came, and killed the lot of us
In the scheme of things, it would be no great loss.
Jonathan Ross."

Justify the whole thing.

Didn't he get a letter from David Baddiel about that song/ the wedding and read it out on one of his stand up shows (not a Comedy Vehicle)? I've always wanted to see that.

bobloblaw

right now, it's hard to beat Rachel Bloom and the Crazy Ex Girlfriend team for consistently batting comedy songs out the park - they've done more than 100 of them over 3 series, and most manage to be a decent parody of a song or genre, fit the character and the storylines, tackle issues from body image to bisexuality and mental health - and crucially be both lyrically and visually funny.

some of the best examples (funnier in context, obviously, but still)

the devastating You Stupid Bitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vrPrr4wmnJ4
Getting Bi (Daryl is inherently funny in every scene) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUDab9piv_U
The End of the Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctXYZWE_bCs
the how-did-they-get-away-with-this ABBA parody First Penis I Saw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUYhukcMgEo
I Go To The Zoo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEhTmETAt9A
I Love My Daughter (But Not In A Creepy Way) - Daryl again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8jU2oQTy5Y

... oh, and I'm not sure any comedy song will ever match Tom Lehrer's Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

DrGreggles

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 19, 2018, 10:09:43 AM
Didn't he get a letter from David Baddiel about that song/ the wedding and read it out on one of his stand up shows (not a Comedy Vehicle)? I've always wanted to see that.

Pretty sure Stew made up (or embellished) that.

Autopsy Turvey

Nobody seems to have mentioned the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, so I'll do that.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on April 19, 2018, 12:53:25 PM

Yeah. Specifically this.

jobotic

Oo ya oo ya oo ya OOH!

Captain Z

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 19, 2018, 10:09:43 AM

I think Stew and David are probably ok with each other, there's a very light-hearted interview on Youtube between Lee, Herring and Baddiel from the FOF days.

lebowskibukowski

Afrorap amuses me in a very infantile way and is *whispers it* not that bad a tune. Goldie Lookin' Chain....?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on April 20, 2018, 01:49:08 PM
Afrorap amuses me in a very infantile way and is *whispers it* not that bad a tune. Goldie Lookin' Chain....?

I like GLC but i was miffed they used one of my favourite soundtrack tunes as a sample for Self Suicide. Sort of ruined it for me, like when an obscure favourite gets used in an advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOBYmRWOdM

I must have checked out Jon Lajoie's 'Fuck Everything' at least a couple of dozen times.

RedRevolver

Idk if it makes me prematurely middle-aged (a lot of other stuff does) but I've always had a lot of respect for Dilly Keane and Fascinating Aida.

"Dogging" really tickles me, and Cheap Flights got overdone but, yeah, I've always felt Fascinating Aida deserve more recognition than they get.

itsfredtitmus

was listening to slowly growing deaf just before and started laughing at the ending

Rocket Surgery

South Park has been mentioned several times already but nobody has posted the obvious one yet.

Maybe it hasn't been posted because it's shite and you're all better people than me, but if the day ever comes when I don't laugh at that I demand to be euthanised promptly.

NurseNugent

No other Tom Lehrer fans?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on April 19, 2018, 12:53:25 PM

Quote from: alan nagsworth on April 18, 2018, 09:50:43 PM
I find myself more obsessed with quick-as-a-flash little moments in songs that make me laugh, as opposed to out-and-out comedy music. I do obviously love Ween, Bonzo Dog Band, Flight of the Conchords and whatnot, but I'm much more drawn to tiny little bits of songs that completely blow any seriousness out of the water for a split second.

Three examples:

"Dive" by Cardiacs, which kicks in at a blistering pace after the sombre brass of the interlude track with that "HELLO" (which itself is abruptly cut short by the song bursting in). Incredible.

"Last Rushup 10" by The Tuss/Aphex Twin. There's a fucking horrible demonic synth hook that kicks in about halfway into this tune which is incredibly sinister and changes the mood of the song drastically. Then, about a minute later, the same riff plays but on a really daft farty sounding synth that is ushered in by the most goofy and intrusive QUACK!! that makes me laugh hard every time I hear it.

"Put Your Number in My Phone" by Ariel Pink. This is a dreamy psychedelic tune which is about meeting a girl and asking for her number. However, the bridge section is a voicemail on Pink's phone from a girl who claims to have met him in a shop and, having exchanged numbers, is perplexed at how she hasn't heard back from him. The message ends as the chorus comes in to close the song, the twee intent of which is now revealed to be utterly obnoxious and false. I consider that to be excellent comedic songwriting.

It's this willingness to disregard any established mood in favour of something utterly absurd that is proper musical comedic brilliance for me.

That said, Ween's "HIV Song" is completely fucking stupid from beginning to end and I love that tune to pieces.

ERM YOU WHAT MATE

itsfredtitmus

I love bonzo but I don't think I've ever found them funny

neveragain

I've been listening to Weird Al's old albums recently. Such joyful creativity and very funny.

jobotic

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 21, 2018, 12:47:28 PM
I love bonzo but I don't think I've ever found them funny

Not even The Strain or Tent?