Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dale Winton dead at 62

Started by Porter Dimi, April 18, 2018, 09:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: SteveDave on April 19, 2018, 01:02:24 PM
Eric Bristow - 60, Ray Wilkins - 61, Dale Winton - 62.  All 63 year old celebs should be terrified.

https://www.famousbirthdays.com/age/63.html

Pick your player...

tbf aren't all people in their 60s terrified of death already

Depressed Beyond Tables

I'm surprised nobody has tried going for the jackpot compo claim on Supermarket Sweep. Just pull a shelf down on yourself mid-run and you could get them for grocery negligence.

the

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 19, 2018, 12:55:27 PMWhat did they do with all the food from the set?

I think the perishable food was just the packaging padded-out with something. The products were all furnished by whichever supermarket chain got the gig for that particular series (Co-Op, Asda, Somerfield).

Quite what happened when they emptied out all the packets in the first place, I don't know. Maybe they had a La Tomatina-style fight in the Central car park.

thenoise

I thought they got to keep all the stuff they helped themselves to in the supermarket dash. They probably had a mass audience dash at the end to get rid of the remaining stuff.

biggytitbo

What was happening to poor Dales face? Botched surgery?

Trojan_Jockey

That picture reminds me of his great work on Operation Mincemeat.

biggytitbo

Sad to think once the embalmber has had a good go at him he'll look better at his funeral then he did hosting the lottery show in recent years.

Squink

Quote from: SteveDave on April 19, 2018, 01:01:27 PMJustin Quarantino!

Amazing. All those in favour of calling him this from now on say "aye" (in obligatory solemn voice).

the

Quote from: thenoise on April 19, 2018, 01:58:21 PMI thought they got to keep all the stuff they helped themselves to in the supermarket dash. They probably had a mass audience dash at the end to get rid of the remaining stuff.

No, everyone won fuck-all unless you got through to the Super Sweep and found the money. It was only a daytime show.

Do people really think there was real perishable food out there? How long do you think that would last into a run of 70+ episodes under hot studio lights?

ollyboro

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on April 18, 2018, 11:33:22 PM
Emotional tribute from Sky News's Kay Burley.

She's a journalist, so concise and to the point. Perhaps others paying tribute should do so in a style which chimes with their public persona eg Graham Norton: "RIP Dale... you're all stiff. Ooo". Or Ant from Ant and Dec: "RIP Dale...you were my besht mate". Or Ian Watkins: "RIP Dale....shame you didn't have any kids, I could have bummed them".

non capisco

Quote from: SteveDave on April 19, 2018, 01:01:27 PM

Dale: Who is the director of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs?
Big Woman buzzes in
Dale: Yes (Big Woman)?
Big Woman: Ummm...
Dale: I'll have to hurry you
Big Woman: Uhhhhh...it's...it's...
Dale: Yes?
Big Woman: Justin Quarantino!
Dale: Well it's not right but we're going to give you that, it's Quentin Tarantino.

Excellent! That's almost as good as 'Morrison Lard'.

"We're going to give you that", indeed. He made You Say We Pay look like The Riddle Of The Sphinx.

kalowski

I will be the first to hold my hands up and say in the past, circa 1983, I developed a robust dislike for the gay community, but that was before I met Dale Winton, and I realised I had absolutely nothing to worry about.

Captain Z

Quote from: the on April 19, 2018, 04:59:44 PM
No, everyone won fuck-all unless you got through to the Super Sweep and found the money. It was only a daytime show.

I haven't watched it in over a decade but I can hear "you're going home with the value of the goods in your trolley" in my head?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Captain Z on April 19, 2018, 09:13:30 PM
I haven't watched it in over a decade but I can hear "you're going home with the value of the goods in your trolley" in my head?

Because you're having a mental breakdown?

doppelkorn

"Amandeep and Sue, your bonus was worth?"

[riiiiiiiip]

"Fifty pounds Dale!"

[applause]

"Fantatsic! We're gonna add that to the the total value of the good in your trolley, giving you a total today of [pause] two hundred and forty pounds and nine pence!"

Harpo Speaks

QuoteThe team with the higher Big Sweep total (added with their sub total from bonuses and previous rounds) keeps their money and advances to the Super Sweep. The team has 60 seconds to find the £2,000 prize (£5,000 in the revived version), by solving three clues. The first clue is given by Dale and time doesn't start until the clue has been read. The team must find the item from the clue to get the next clue. The second clue leads the contestants to the final item, behind which the money is found. As with the US version, the team has to find all three items and have their hands on the money before time expires. If they don't, they only leave with the cash equivalent of the value of the goods in their trolley.

jobotic

Quote from: Captain Z on April 19, 2018, 09:13:30 PM

...in a fucking ambulance"

thraxx

Do we know if it was the AIDS or drugs or failed surgery?

Choice quote from someone at work today on hearing the devastating news:

'Was he the one with the swimming pool?'

Bazooka

Quote from: thraxx on April 19, 2018, 11:07:35 PM
Do we know if it was the AIDS or drugs or failed surgery?

Choice quote from someone at work today on hearing the devastating news:

'Was he the one with the swimming pool?'

Yeah I asked my Brit mate at work and he said the same thing.

Blumf

My wife relayed the rumour fluttering around the internet dives she inhabits that it was suicide that done him in.

I'm still sticking to the illness theory.

So, in conclusion, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kalowski

It's quite easy to get Peter Kay and Dale Winton mixed up.

daf

Nicked from Danny Baker's Twitter :

Dale - The Baby!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp5vPf8H3mo

"Then she reached under her seat to pick something up . . ."

Blue Jam

Nice tribute from Justin "The Guyliner" Myers:

Dale Winton's Supermarket Sweep was TV from a more innocent time – and we need more like it today

QuoteLosers didn't have meltdowns, it wasn't life-changing – instead Janice and her gay best friend Steve, co-workers Eunice and Margaret from the bakery, and housewives Nicki and Clare would go home after a nice day out in a television studio, thoroughly aware they'd made an exhibition of themselves and not caring a jot.

idunnosomename

Quote from: doppelkorn on April 19, 2018, 09:59:31 PM
"Amandeep and Sue, your bonus was worth?"

[riiiiiiiip]

"Fifty pounds Dale!"

[applause]

"Fantatsic! We're gonna add that to the the total value of the good in your trolley, giving you a total today of [pause] two hundred and forty pounds and nine pence!"

Thanks. I remember why I watched this now. The amounts people won were often hilariously small. All because they went for an inflatable hammer that was worth like £5 and spent too much time in the crisps aisle.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 20, 2018, 12:29:13 PM
Nice tribute from Justin "The Guyliner" Myers: [...] "Janice and her gay best friend Steve"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Sxj3MLIbI

the

Quote from: Captain Z on April 19, 2018, 09:13:30 PMI haven't watched it in over a decade but I can hear "you're going home with the value of the goods in your trolley" in my head?

Yeah, forgot to mention that. But it wasn't the actual goods in the trolley, as thenoise suggested.

Quote from: jobotic on April 19, 2018, 10:08:36 PM...in a fucking ambulance"

Roflbomb

It is worth remembering that, due to inflation and the devaluation of sterling following the Brexit vote, the value of a £200 Supermarket Sweep trolley back in 1998 would now be worth somewhere in the region of three quarters of a million pounds.

monolith

There's a Legend Gary on my Facebook feed who has felt it appropriate to share a tattoo he has on his arse that reads 'Dale Winton'.

Hundhoon

He did national lottery for a while didnt he?........Release those balls.

biggytitbo

Was the tattoo positioned so 'Dale Wint' was on the left buttock and a big 'n' on the right?