Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:15:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old Grey Whistle Test

Started by Oops! Wrong Planet, April 19, 2018, 01:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oops! Wrong Planet

Can't find an appropriate thread to coat-tail, but some of you cats might like to know that someone is currently uploading ancient OGWT clips, including rarities and outtakes. Doesn't seem official, maybe someone who worked on the show?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMKkw87LSSoyKjVadIVRRSg/videos 

buzby

Interesting. I don't know if it's just me but they seem a bit jerky, like there's frame skipping or repeating?
They look to be taken from transfers from the 2" master VT reels with the countdown clocks intact - it's possible somebody ran off copies while they were making the DigiBeta transfers for the archive?

Some diamonds amid the dross of band after band with flares and long hair, playing electric guitar and Hammond organs with the earnestness of people on whom the fate of the universe depends.

BlodwynPig

Jenny Haan inventing Bez-dancing in the Babe Ruth video

Dr Syntax Head

Not looked yet but how much post punk is there?

LORD BAD VIBE

Nowt.

All the episodes posted thus far have been from 1972/73.

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: LORD BAD VIBE on April 19, 2018, 02:38:17 PM
Nowt.

All the episodes posted thus far have been from 1972/73.

Classic American rock with 10 minute guitar solos then? Think I'll give it a miss.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 19, 2018, 02:50:09 PM
Classic American rock with 10 minute guitar solos then? Think I'll give it a miss.

Hocus Locus for 100 hours flat. Yodhell.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: buzby on April 19, 2018, 08:20:39 AM
Interesting. I don't know if it's just me but they seem a bit jerky, like there's frame skipping or repeating?

Haven't come across that yet. Unless you mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxENhuutYPE#t=9m50s :-D (I enjoyed the Flo & Eddie interview later in that show.)

Quote from: buzby on April 19, 2018, 08:20:39 AMThey look to be taken from transfers from the 2" master VT reels with the countdown clocks intact - it's possible somebody ran off copies while they were making the DigiBeta transfers for the archive?

I think you could be right. Someone asked under one of the Focus videos if they had the 1976 Focus OGWT show, and the uploader replied yes, "but we need to get through 73-75 first". Amazing if everything manages to go up without being pulled.

greenman

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 19, 2018, 02:50:09 PM

A quick browse brought up something in that vein with more interest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPpvDGZhrNo&t=4m50s

Howj Begg

Oooh, this is lovely. I have the 3 dvd set like most here I imagine, so I'm excited about this. Will be able to watch after work, but already: Judee Sill, Roberta Flack, Argent, J Geils band, Poco, Beach Boys!! all look tasty

BlodwynPig

Quote from: greenman on April 19, 2018, 03:22:17 PM
A quick browse brought up something in that vein with more interest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPpvDGZhrNo&t=4m50s

A young Michael Gove fronting that Finnish Jazz-rock band (Tasavallan Presidentti) too.

nedthemumbler

Ooh weren't it all so brwn and beardy.  Lovely stuff. 

That Down by the River is awful though, and almost makes me like the original less.

daf

Quote from: buzby on April 19, 2018, 08:20:39 AM
They look to be taken from transfers from the 2" master VT reels with the countdown clocks intact - it's possible somebody ran off copies while they were making the DigiBeta transfers for the archive?

There's some fiddle going on : I've seen quite a few of these OGWT and early 70's Top of the Pops with colour bars and countdown clocks - god bless bent engineers!

jobotic

Sebastian Cobb

Oh wow they've got Birtha in there and everything.

massive bereavement

I wish they'd saved the late-night BBC2 forerunners to this series instead, "Colour Me Pop" and "Disco 2". I'd even swap most of these recordings for lost 1972/73 episodes of TOTP. It was the around this time singles and chart music became more interesting than the more 'serious' music.

buzby

Quote from: daf on April 20, 2018, 12:45:18 PM
There's some fiddle going on : I've seen quite a few of these OGWT and early 70's Top of the Pops with colour bars and countdown clocks - god bless bent engineers!
Wasn't OGWT repeated on Uk Gold in the early 90s, when they were repeating TOTP as well? I wouldn't mind betting these copies and and the TOTPs you have seen that are dubbed off the master tapes originated from when they were taken out of the archive and transferred to more modern (by 90s standards) format for playout on UK Gold. The phone number for J.C.A. Facilities on some of the countdown clocks is 081, which places them between 1990 (when 01 changed to 071 & 081) and 1995 (when they changed to 0171 & 0181).

J.C.A. Facilities was John Claxton Associates, based in Acton, who offered archival and format conversion services, After a series of takeovers, they are now owned by SES )ownrs of the Astra satellite cluster, amongst othe things) as part of their MX1 media services arm.

Just been watching the 12/07/71 (Elton John & Fanny) episode. The kaleidoscopic, rorshach test animation that accompanies Isaac Hayes' Good Love 69969 is seriously trippy - there's no way they would be able to broadcast it in today's more epilepsy-sensitive times.

manticore

The animations to accompany songs were definitely my favourite thing about that programme. Also Bob Harris seemed like such a nice man, the way he talked to you. The only actual musical performance that I've seen that I enjoyed was The Wailers doing 'Stir it Up', which was beautiful.

the science eel

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: the science eel on April 21, 2018, 12:10:59 AM
Dreary shit, mostly.

Hard to believe that at the time of these early OGWT shows Jools Holland was being expelled from grammar school, an event that was to pave the way just 20 short years later for a revolunoerhruhgfdskscubcrytcbygrecjbfd,ybfg o;uyh879673476&^Tyug[

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: buzby on April 20, 2018, 10:08:52 PM
Wasn't OGWT repeated on Uk Gold in the early 90s, when they were repeating TOTP as well? I wouldn't mind betting these copies and and the TOTPs you have seen that are dubbed off the master tapes originated from when they were taken out of the archive and transferred to more modern (by 90s standards) format for playout on UK Gold.

I haven't seen all the videos but in two shows there are clips of Lennon and Moody Blues that have been crudely edited out, which points to a broadcasting rights issue rather than something the uploader's done. That seems to chime with your theory.

Absorb the anus burn

Some great OGWT:

Talking Heads: Psycho Killer / Don't Worry About The Govt.
XTC: Radios In Motion.
Nektar: Desolation Valley
Be Bop Deluxe: Ships In The Night
Can: Vernal Equinox.
Budgie: Who Do You Want?

The Roxy Music set is fairly awesome.  It was seeing a repeat of that in the 80s that turned me on to an awesome album track of theirs called Ladytron.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on April 19, 2018, 01:49:16 AM
Can't find an appropriate thread to coat-tail, but some of you cats might like to know that someone is currently uploading ancient OGWT clips, including rarities and outtakes. Doesn't seem official, maybe someone who worked on the show?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMKkw87LSSoyKjVadIVRRSg/videos

That channel is still uploading gems - I was reminded by a recent Bob Harris tweet.

There are some non-OGWT uploads as well - Colour Me Pop etc. The most recent is the Savile-presented TOTP for Christmas 1973 including outtakes, not coming to a living room near you anytime soon.

the science eel

FUCK! A Whole Scene Going with Sandie Shaw and the Pretty Things at their peaks!

a duncandisorderly

I'm making some enquiries of a mate who worked in the BBC archive for years... the access we had was unfettered, but to viewing copies only, with burnt-in timecode. the stuff I had access to at Mtv/VH-1 was (like the beat club material we had) purged of anything where there were rights issues, & even then we only had limited use of them- something like five airings.

as has been noted, there are many & varied rights issues attached to stuff like this; I have a suspicion that these clips won't be on yt for long, so grab them with your downloady plug-in.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on June 20, 2018, 09:42:15 AM
I'm making some enquiries of a mate who worked in the BBC archive for years... the access we had was unfettered, but to viewing copies only, with burnt-in timecode. the stuff I had access to at Mtv/VH-1 was (like the beat club material we had) purged of anything where there were rights issues, & even then we only had limited use of them- something like five airings.

as has been noted, there are many & varied rights issues attached to stuff like this; I have a suspicion that these clips won't be on yt for long, so grab them with your downloady plug-in.

Here, you were probably around then, how come the excellent 1999 Beastie Boys, live in Glasgow gig was all in black and white? Was there just not enough neutral light or something?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 20, 2018, 09:47:47 AM
Here, you were probably around then, how come the excellent 1999 Beastie Boys, live in Glasgow gig was all in black and white? Was there just not enough neutral light or something?

an affectation which, at the time, I complained loudly about despite the fact that (I think I'm remembering this right) the bloke they hired to direct was an old mate of mine.

I have a recollection- & forgive me, but a lot of water & class-C has gone under the bridge since then, that the monochroming was done at-source too. :-/

meanwhile, my ex-BBC mate doesn't (yet) know the source or provenance of these newly uploaded whistle test clips.

Sebastian Cobb

I most recently saw it on YouTube which was a VHS/over sky rip (thankfully they had nicam), but it didn't quite look like 'true' monochrome, parts of it were purple but most of it had that green tint you saw on 'night mode' of consumer camcorders of that era, which is something I doubt broadcast cameras even had.