Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What does 'I came in with my eyes open' mean?

Started by Desirable Industrial Unit, April 19, 2018, 01:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desirable Industrial Unit

Topic.

Open to what?  A load of greasy fanny sliding past your eyes?  I know the meaning, it's that you're wise, born wise, a man who doesn't let anything get by him, but nobody was born with their eyes open, that'd be horrible.

Two threads that'll go absolutely nowhere, that's my duty done for the year.  Over to the rest of you.

Crisps?

I've heard of going into something with your eyes open, meaning you're aware of potential problems, and heard of coming into the world with nothing, but I don't think I've heard "I came in(to the world) with my eyes open".

Is it an American saying? Things Americans say never make any sense.

biggytitbo

what about going into something with your eyes wide shut?

spamwangler

Cerys

A-ha claim in Looking for the Whales that they are 'born into this world with our eyes side open', and they're Norwegian.  Makes you think.

Icehaven

Like Crisps said it doesn't mean you're claiming to have been born super-aware of the world, it means going into a new situation, say a new job or relationship, conscious of previous or existing issues with it/them, having considered what could happen and prepared for potential problems etc. Still doesn't stop you falling on your arse but at least you can say "I told me so" before anyone else does.