Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais Meets Garry Shandling [split topic]

Started by Hank the Rapper, April 17, 2018, 11:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

sevendaughters

and, if you open the discussion, "having trouble in other parts of his life"

and yet he utterly schooled you in your element, Ricky

idunnosomename

Fucking hell I watched that cut of the interview and Gervais turns my stomach. In the literal sense. I'd sooner offer a coffee to Hermann Goering. At least he wouldn't burst into obnxious forced laughter all the time.

colacentral

That scene they included in the Shandling documentary where Gervais is saying "I can't not think" is embarrassing and shows him up for how unthoughtful he is (ironically). Introspection and abstract concepts like sprituality are completely beyond him.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I suspect he's finally decided to comment on the Shandling debacle after watching that outtake from the documentary. If anything, it makes him look even more out of his depth than the finished programme.

Comedy nerds such as ourselves are fully aware of its existence, but I would imagine that a lot of people had never even heard of it until watching the Shandling doc. That's why Gervais is effectively blaming Shandling - a conveniently dead man who can't answer back - for how badly it went, in the desperate hope that people watching it for the first time will accept his arse-covering explanation that Shandling wasn't in a good place when they filmed it.

Shandling was a complex, sensitive soul, no doubt about that, but I really don't think you can lay the blame for that car crash at his door. He quite clearly and understandably found Gervais irritating, shallow and rude.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: (Ex poster) on April 18, 2018, 05:09:31 PM
He finally addressed it: Shandling was temporarily mad apparently

https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/981272329878757382
QuoteHe also "wasn't himself". Off air he told me he was having 5 different therapy sessions a week and had been through tough times. Still a genius though.

Don't know where to start with this. Do the quotes around "not himself" mean that this is something Shandling told him, or do they imply a euphemism? If it's the latter, what does he think the 5 therapy sessions per week proves? The answer is nothing, except that Garry Shandling could afford 5 therapy sessions per week.

Dead Shandling may be, but there's something distasteful about disclosing something said in confidence for the sake of some minimal face-saving.

"Still a genius though" - oooh, a delightful, little concession to the mentally ill that their conditions don't define them. I only wish he'd tweeted that bit separately via a reply from his Derek account

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: Mango Chimes on April 18, 2018, 11:43:05 PM
Absolute maniac. https://mobile.twitter.com/rickygervais/status/981275405368819713

That "A troubled one" at the end is like one of Brent's would-be profound afterthoughts that he turns to the camera to deliver.

Dr Rock

Bronzy

gonna put all the tweets about Shandling up here in case he decides to delete them for whatever reason

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Oops! Wrong Planet on April 18, 2018, 11:57:41 PM
That "A troubled one" at the end is like one of Brent's would-be profound afterthoughts that he turns to the camera to deliver.

Gervais now joins Katie Hopkins on the list of paid controversialists who think using verbless sentences makes them sound profound. Gervais. Sad act. A total shit, this one.

dex

Just watched the interview with Shandling. Gervais comes across as a right cunt with his high pitched guffawing at everything. The irony was lost on Gervais when the subject turns to uncomfortableness and Shandling makes himself a coffee and doesn't offer him any.

tenmen

how dare you speak in a non-approved way about your friend who greatly admired your work ARE BRAVE GARRY SHANDLING!!

idunnosomename

*sticks out lower jaw*

"A troubled one."

*sad piano*

colacentral

Quote from: tenmen on April 19, 2018, 07:12:36 AM
how dare you speak in a non-approved way about your friend who greatly admired your work ARE BRAVE GARRY SHANDLING!!

You thought that was cracking, didn't you?

BeardFaceMan

Gervais says in those tweets there was no falling out and they were great mates all the time but it says in that article that he refused to do the scheduled interview for Shandlings dvd afterwards. Is that true?

Funcrusher

Do people believe that Shandling emailed Gervaise all the time, or indeed ever, with jokes he wanted him to use at the Golden Globes? It sounds very unlikely, but that's a big lie to tell.

colacentral

It's also a lie that he "only does [his] own stuff" as he almost certainly had a team of writers on the Golden Globes, as all those award shows do.

jobotic

Quote from: tenmen on April 19, 2018, 07:12:36 AM

People like this are your fans now Gervais. Good work.

yesitsme

Quote from: dex on April 19, 2018, 07:05:19 AM
Just watched the interview with Shandling. Gervais comes across as a right cunt with his high pitched guffawing at everything. The irony was lost on Gervais when the subject turns to uncomfortableness and Shandling makes himself a coffee and doesn't offer him any.

Yeah, you can see Gervais go full Brent there.  He's 'this' close to saying 'Where's mine? Two sugars please..' I don't know how he stopped himself.

Gervais has become everything he always pretended not to be.

Can I say this.  In my limited experience of doing stand up I would never EVER dream of walking on stage to talk about airline safety and the crazy idea that passengers don't know how to put a seat belt on.

I'm sure that since September the 11th there is a new way to look at the bullshit airports and airlines make us wade through in the name of safety but seeing as I'm clearly not a comedy genius like Ricky is I wouldn't even attempt to make a 1,000 seater audience of people who've paid good money to see a fractured take on life.

Jealous?  Yeah, you fuckin' bet.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 19, 2018, 07:38:32 AM
Gervais says in those tweets there was no falling out and they were great mates all the time but it says in that article that he refused to do the scheduled interview for Shandlings dvd afterwards. Is that true?

He actually refuses on camera at the end of the 'Ricky Gervais Meets...' interview. They both stand up at the end and Shandling says something like "and now we're going to do the Larry Sanders DVD extra, that was the deal we made" and Gervais says "Nah I'm getting out of here".

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 19, 2018, 12:06:18 PM
He actually refuses on camera at the end of the 'Ricky Gervais Meets...' interview. They both stand up at the end and Shandling says something like "and now we're going to do the Larry Sanders DVD extra, that was the deal we made" and Gervais says "Nah I'm getting out of here".

Ah right, I forgot about that bit, I think I blocked the whole show from my memory. So he got what he wanted (or probably not as it turned out) and left, what a cunts trick. Did he ever get round to helping out his great mate and doing the interview?

The interview never happened as far as I know. There's no Gervais interview on the Larry Sanders DVD set so I assume that Gervais simply didn't follow through on the agreed interview. As you say, he just fucked off and never rescheduled.

Barry Admin

Split this off into a new topic. The original one from 2006 is here by the way.

neveragain

I enjoy the Gervais-bashing as much as anyone but isn't Shandling being an arse at the start of that clip? Moaning pointlessly about Ricky looking at him when he comes in, overreacting to a harmless jokey comment about contact lenses... Feeling sorry for RG on this rewatch I must say. Imagine meeting your hero, trying to be friendly and being faced with this stubborn pompous brick wall.

The Jews comment comes from nowhere and is highly aggressive. Also, Shandling acts as though he's never picked on contentious topics for comedy. Clearly great and wise but also arrogant.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: colacentral on April 18, 2018, 08:02:56 PM
That scene they included in the Shandling documentary where Gervais is saying "I can't not think" is embarrassing and shows him up for how unthoughtful he is (ironically). Introspection and abstract concepts like sprituality are completely beyond him.

I don't think not believing in Shandling's Buddhist stuff makes him stupid or lesser. There's a lot of other things evident from the interview that do, but as much as I love Shandling, he was also a bit full of twaddle.