Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay's Car Share - The Specials

Started by Malcy, April 19, 2018, 01:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Starts on 7th of May with the unscripted episode followed by a repeat of the 2nd series then the final episode on the 28th of May.

The reviews from the charity screenings where really positive. Looking forward to them!

neveragain

I thought it ended quite well as it was, but I'm very happy to see it back.

Malcy

Quote from: neveragain on April 19, 2018, 02:25:44 PM
I thought it ended quite well as it was, but I'm very happy to see it back.

I liked the ending too. The fact it wasn't the happy one that everyone was expecting was good. That's more than likely going to be rectified in the final episode though.

AsparagusTrevor

No way this is gonna happen, we all know it's all gonna be a nice, happy, probably mawkish ending, but it would be great if they managed to make it even more of a downer ending, e.g. they never manage to get together and then one or both of them get a plague.

Wet Blanket

Fitting tribute to old Peter, poor dead sod.

Malcy

Enzo

Malcy

Enjoyed that. The love story on the radio was brilliant.  The background stuff was really good, Halaldi, the Vengabus, Mega Clits. Going to do a rewatch before the last one in a few weeks.

That's why I thought it was a shame the 2nd series made the will they won't they bla bla bla too prominent. It was beautifully underplayed in the 1st series, hardly there at all, just the odd hint that there could be a connection there, subtle moments of jealousy if other people are mentioned. And then at the end the car share is simply coming to an end, no grand sad or happy ending...Just a vague notion of what might of been.

Really enjoyed it, the improvisation in character was as good as the original scripted pieces.

There's so much mileage (guffaw) in this format, they really never need to leave the car.

Consignia

Quote from: Malcy on May 08, 2018, 08:00:01 PM

That one's a bit weak since there's already a real Car Wash in Didsbury that boasts the best hand job in the North.

metaltax

Quote from: Consignia on May 08, 2018, 09:17:59 PM
That one's a bit weak since there's already a real Car Wash in Didsbury that boasts the best hand job in the North.

Kay's probably claimed it as his own work and had them shut down by now.

Crabwalk

Most scenes were ok, but that transphobic interlude cast a massive shadow over everything. Fucking horrible.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 08, 2018, 10:41:58 PM
Most scenes were ok, but that transphobic interlude cast a massive shadow over everything. Fucking horrible.

Yeah, that was painful. What the fuck were they thinking? John and Keyleigh are usually such likeable characters, but they both came across as nasty pricks during that scene. The fact that it was improvised makes it even worse, as their disgusted reaction to the story was obviously instinctive. The only route they could think of was, "Transexuals?! Yuk!"

It would've been funnier and more in keeping with their established characters if Kayleigh had initially expressed naive bewilderment, with John patiently trying to explain what was going on. Kayleigh should've then been won over by the excessive sentimentality of the story, while John opined that it was all a load of made-up bollocks (that bit was actually quite funny, or at least it would've been if the scene up until that point hadn't been so unpleasant).

Crabwalk

Yes, it was the fact that it was clearly the performers' reactionary instincts shining through that made it particularly unpleasant. As you say, there was plenty of scope for humour and sweetness in the characters' reactions to the story.

John, for one is a huge fan of early 80s music, through which (you'd hope) 'gender bending' would've been normalised for him. But no, Kay chooses to react to the concept of a transgender person by stifling vomiting.

Meanwhile, Kayleigh, who has so far been portrayed as generally sweet-natured and naive, retrospectively cheers on a mob that almost beats someone to death and then implores them to pull the plug when they're on life support. Lovely.

And there goes all the goodwill I had towards these characters. Great job everyone. The buck stops with Kay though.

Was Conleth Hill's character meant to be transgender? I can't remember. Either way, perhaps not a coincidence that that character was written as a hideous nightmare.

jobotic

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 09, 2018, 08:05:51 AM

Meanwhile, Kayleigh, who has so far been portrayed as generally sweet-natured and naive, retrospectively cheers on a mob that almost beats someone to death and then implores them to pull the plug when they're on life support. Lovely.

Bimey, is this real? I haven't seen it yet. WTF?

Crabwalk

It's real. I'm not sure even Gervais has ever been responsible for such a horrible, misjudged scene. But then, maybe it just stood out more in Car Share as it's usually such a warm show.

Shit Good Nose

Some of you may remember this incident - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,62563.270.html

The same woman is rallying on Facebook and Twitter for support in approaching Ofcom en masse, and also is (seriously) suggesting that people get in touch with the Beeb and demand that any completed but as-yet unaired episodes are withdrawn and that any further plans to make more in future are cancelled immediately...

As it is, me and Mrs Nose thought it was okay but not a patch on the properly scripted episodes.  Highlights were the genuine and obvious corpsing and the BLT/CLB discussion.  Oh, and Pies of Wigan of course.

Custard

Yeah, the transphobic bit put a dampener on what was a surprisingly strong episode. Very misjudged, and I bet it's put off a lot of viewers

On a nicer note, the background gags were as great as ever, the club sandwich chat was good, and I did enjoy the free and easy vibe it had. Though I'm thinking they did actually script some lines, as they seemed a bit too good to be off the cuff

neveragain

Quote from: Crabwalk on May 09, 2018, 09:59:55 AM
It's real. I'm not sure even Gervais has ever been responsible for such a horrible, misjudged scene. But then, maybe it just stood out more in Car Share as it's usually such a warm show.

There's some racially dubious stuff in the second series of Phoenix Nights.

Where is this episode meant to take place? After the end of the second series or just at some point within the whole chronology?

What a bizarre and humorless segment that was...I don't understand at all...is the point that it was all a fabrication for the payoff of the song request?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Misspent Boners on May 11, 2018, 10:00:18 PM
Where is this episode meant to take place? After the end of the second series or just at some point within the whole chronology?

What a bizarre and humorless segment that was...I don't understand at all...is the point that it was all a fabrication for the payoff of the song request?

I guess they just thought they'd throw something unexpected at them to have them both playing off an independent third party, rather than each other.  Kinda backfired a bit, though. 

Dusty Gozongas

This is only of significance to myself really but you're welcome to it.

I work with adults with learning disabilities, and was only reminded of this things existence by [person] taking the piss out of Kay on a muted TV screen in the cafe of the local Centre for Independent Living.

In an ideal world I'll be privy to Gervais being mocked similarly before I peg it.

[/aside]

Desirable Industrial Unit

Maybe it's because I've wound up prejudiced against Peter Kay, but I couldn't help but feel there was a bit of a thuggish air to that 'unscripted' thing.  It being called 'Peter Kay's Car Share' has always been weird, but this felt like an extra dig to the writer - 'see, don't even fucking need you! I am this show!'

Custard

He is one of the writers, though. As is Sian Gibson

Desirable Industrial Unit

There is a lead writer though, and the input of the cast in a regular episode is unknowable.

Panbaams

And it calls itself just Car Share. The BBC calls it Peter Kay's Car Share.

That episode felt a bit like some DVD extras strung together.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on May 14, 2018, 02:59:40 AM
There is a lead writer though, and the input of the cast in a regular episode is unknowable.

I think it's scripted by the main writer but then Kay and Gibson riff during the filming, but based on the quality of that improvised episode, I reckon the bulk of it was probably as written.

JarrowMonkey

Topic: Peter Kay's Car Share - The Specials

Did they sing Ghost Town with him and Holy Mary's daughter?