Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:15:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Kay's Car Share - The Specials

Started by Malcy, April 19, 2018, 01:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Rewatched this the last couple of nights. So many bits and bobs i missed the first time around.

Captain Z

Still can't quite believe that he's no longer with us.

Annie Labuntur

People are saying how funny the club sandwich bit is, and the BBC used it as a teaser clip on their site, but to me it doesn't really work unless she's deliberately winding him up. (Actually, is she? Haven't watched the whole show yet.)

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on May 18, 2018, 05:16:06 PM
People are saying how funny the club sandwich bit is, and the BBC used it as a teaser clip on their site, but to me it doesn't really work unless she's deliberately winding him up. (Actually, is she? Haven't watched the whole show yet.)

She's not winding him up and I must admit I enjoyed that bit the most. That sort of slightly skewed but harmless misunderstanding is more what the essence of Car Share seemed to be about in the first two series, not that bizarre knee-jerk revulsion to transvestites nonsense.

Annie Labuntur

It's a good gag because of the coincidence of the B and L, but it would work best if a character like Phoebe or Father Dougal said it. I just don't believe that Kayleigh would seriously ask what the letters stood for in club sandwich any more than she would ask what the letters in hero sandwich stood for.

Malcy

Rolf Lundgren

Watched the finale and it was fine but I can't help but think what was the point. They could have done this in the last episode of the second series instead of dragging it out. Even though it's the end it's a show I can see coming back occasionally over the years for Christmas specials and whatnot.

petril

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on May 28, 2018, 11:24:20 PM
Watched the finale and it was fine but I can't help but think what was the point. They could have done this in the last episode of the second series instead of dragging it out. Even though it's the end it's a show I can see coming back occasionally over the years for Christmas specials and whatnot.

if it did it'd be a fine tribute to The Late Peter Kay etc etc etc

Malcy

Really enjoyed it. The music video was really well done. I hope it's not the final final episode, I was left wanting loads more. It's one of those shows that you enjoy being in the company of the characters.

jobotic

Pfft. Load of nothing. Referencing Take That isn't funny.

Did laugh at Don't Drive Like a Cock though.

Butchers Blind

Was alright.  Glad they dealt with the will-they-won't-they stuff in the first five minutes and then got on with the in car silliness.  Lots of lovely sight gags in that one.

wooders1978

The pop video felt a bit david Brent as did the song

Malcy

idunnosomename

Mark Lawson was on the World at One (RADIO 4!!!) this afternoon talking about what a genius Peter Kay was and how brilliant this was as if he's just died

Wait a minute

PlasticTom

I thought it only really got going at the hedgehog bit. Maybe I'm in a bad mood but I thought the McDonald's change thing was irritating and everything before that was a maudlin, laugh-free load of old toss. It left me wanting exactly no more episodes, but I'll still re-watch the first series

The sight gags were mostly great though. Did there seem to be way too many in this one?
There was also a shot of a trans woman who lives and works in Sale (where I live). It was quite a deliberate shot - maybe stuck in after some criticism for the nastiness in the first episode (if he actually received any criticism for that from anywhere other than here)?

Custard

Ah, it was a nice ending. No overblown final moment, just two people holding hands on a bus

Loads of great sight gags, and even the music video got a couple of laffs

Overall, the best thing Kay's been a part of since Phoenix Nights

Shit Good Nose

It was fine.

But leave it at that now, though.

Captain Z

I thought I knew exactly where it was going; as soon as they admitted their feelings the spark went and the relationship descended into bitching about other couples, jealousy of past lovers and trivial arguments. Which I suppose is what it was doing, although saved with a happy ending as they remember those earlier times.

The song felt self-indulgent. I suppose it did fit the narrative and the character to some extent but does he always have to sing in everything. The can't-reach-the-change-under-the-car bit is from one of his standup shows isn't it? Or was that Mickey Mackintyre?

yesitsme

It was Kay, he dropped his change at French motorway barrier and had to scramble about for it.

Self-indulgent? Our Peter?  Surely not.  I groaned when I saw him start singing, he'll release that of that there is no doubt.

I also twinged when he coughed, said he had pains in his chest and the car crash.  I thought surely-to-shit one of them isn't going to die, that would have been trite even for Max'n'Paddy.

It's not great, it's not terrible.  it's probably the best thing he's done in ages and I get to see my old house on it now and again.

6/10