Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:43:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Father John Misty "God's Favorite Customer"

Started by SteveDave, April 19, 2018, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveDave

This new LP has leaked.

It's OK. It's a bit normal after "Pure Comedy"

Head Gardener

yeah It's OK, not out til June too apparently, it'll be forgotten about by then it's that memorable

SteveDave

This is out now for real and, over the last month, it's really grown on me. A few too many slow songs towards the end though.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Any excuse to re-listen to his excruciatingly awkward appearance on the Radcliffe and Maconie show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX9-OEk7LCg

To be fair to the man, he later apologised for being such a dick. He wasn't in a good place, to put it mildly.

Quote"Sometimes I just suck. The truth of the matter is it has not been a good year. I have substance-abuse problems. That morning, I was completely fucked up. This was Fear and Loathing level. I've got these lizard men with English accents doing this Laurel-and-Hardy act on me and I just couldn't deal with it. It's not as if those guys were so horrible. It's me. It's my fault."

kittens

it's quite good but doesn't feel as special as pure comedy. also feels short. no obvious superbangers either

sevendaughters

usually i give everyone a second chance but the smug self-satisfaction of Pure Comedy has made me a hater for life. worst musician of our time.

kittens

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 04, 2018, 08:26:14 PM
usually i give everyone a second chance but the smug self-satisfaction of Pure Comedy has made me a hater for life. worst musician of our time.

no, i am the worst musician of our time

SteveDave

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 04, 2018, 08:26:14 PM

You've obviously never heard Ed Sheeran.

SteveDave

Quote from: kittens on June 04, 2018, 05:54:25 PM
it's quite good but doesn't feel as special as pure comedy. also feels short. no obvious superbangers either

I'd say "Disappointing Diamonds..." and "Please Don't Die" are up there with his best. It does feel short after "Pure Comedy" though.

sevendaughters

Quote from: SteveDave on June 05, 2018, 08:55:33 AM
You've obviously never heard Ed Sheeran.

mate not only have I heard him I have SEEN him live at In The City in 2009 and I gave him a reasonably decent write-up obviously not thinking he'd get very far. either way i infinitely prefer Sheeran to Misty.

SteveDave

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 05, 2018, 11:08:35 AM
mate not only have I heard him I have SEEN him live at In The City in 2009 and I gave him a reasonably decent write-up obviously not thinking he'd get very far. either way i infinitely prefer Sheeran to Misty.

Fuckinell.

sevendaughters

Quote from: SteveDave on June 05, 2018, 01:28:09 PM
Fuckinell.

i feel confident that ignorable but objectively structurally-sound pop beats out a navel-gazing lecture from an overeducated neckbeard over sickly soft rock.

Soup

Yeah to back up sevendaughters I find Misty insufferable. A lot of friends love him, I thought he was alright for a bit but the pomposity of Pure Comedy really soured him for me. Horrible mix of musically uninteresting, self-satisfied verbosity and not having anything of interest to say with it.

But y'know, not really the place to pile in. I hope you all enjoy his new album which is definitely total shite that Pitchfork will bum senseless

I thought Maconie came out of that interview looking even more of a dick than did Misty.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 05, 2018, 02:01:59 PM
i feel confident that ignorable but objectively structurally-sound pop beats out a navel-gazing lecture from an overeducated neckbeard over sickly soft rock.

post of the week for me. sums up how i feel to an absolute tee, thanks.

spamwangler

is he actually a preist? if not he can fuck off

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on June 06, 2018, 12:09:37 AM
I thought Maconie came out of that interview looking even more of a dick than did Misty.

Neither emerged from it covered in glory. Hats off to Radcliffe, really, for trying to rescue it in a calm and professional manner.