Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

George W Bush being considered good again

Started by Twed, April 19, 2018, 04:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 19, 2018, 07:05:30 PM
Twed, where is your thread about Cynthia Nixon? I'd like to post this on it please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HohD8NVW3M

She seems pretty great. Not afraid to speak her mind and broach potentially tricky issues

George Oscar Bluth II

John Major isn't really analgous to W. Bush cos Major's big fuckups were privatising the railways and the cones hotline, whereas Bush literally did Iraq.

If Trump leaves office without starting a ground war in the middle east, he will be a better president than George W. Bush. That's a fact.

Just because he was polite people seem to have forgotten this.

Alberon

Quote from: yesitsme on April 20, 2018, 10:32:29 AM
Funnily enough I was talking about this very thing last night.  I was saying that if you had a time machine and went back to the Dubya days you'd be hard pushed to convince people that there was another down from here.

Don't worry about this fuckwit folks, there's a bloke coming soon who's going to make him look like a rocket scientist.

They'd never believe you.

What keeps me awake at night is that ten years from now we'll be saying the same thing about Trump.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: Alberon on April 20, 2018, 11:29:29 AM
What keeps me awake at night is that ten years from now we'll be saying the same thing about Trump.

President Logan Paul

idunnosomename

See I suppose, Bush did have similarities to Trump, in that he acted like such a doofus, it kind of made satire too easy. I got fed up with the "hurr Bush is a monkey lol" in every comic. If you remember Matt and Trey never did a ridiculous impersonation of him on South Park - they were too aware of following a trend. (I mean, there was That's My Bush! but I never an episode of it and from what I understand it was more a lampoon of sitcom tropes that a commentary on his policies).

But Trump has gone one further and made satire completely invalid.

You do have the horrors of the Iraq War, but arguably Trump's divide and rule strategy is more insidious, as it's not even under the pretense of justice. He's just ripping up his country's rights and emboldening people to be as horrible as possible.

gilbertharding

Yeah, the tweet correctly points out that Bush wasn't an embarrassment on the world stage daily. He could generally only manage that once a week.

Panbaams

Go easy on Bush, yeah? His mum's just died.

shh

The European inferiority complex has found a new totem pole to embody its prejudices.

rjd2

In a similar vein to the idea that people are giving Bush a pass which I do believe somewhat, this article on the abysmal madeleine albright made me very sad. The people that seem to like her should know better, middle class educated young white girls who should be able to look past the fact that she thinks Trump is a turd. Fucking idiots.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/madeleine-albright-has-ascended-from-historic-diplomat-to-yas-queen-feminist-icon/2018/04/19/cd55c60e-433a-11e8-bba2-0976a82b05a2_story.html?utm_term=.ea4d1bda7083

Twed

Quote from: rjd2 on April 20, 2018, 07:01:52 PM
In a similar vein to the idea that people are giving Bush a pass which I do believe somewhat, this article on the abysmal madeleine albright made me very sad. The people that seem to like her should know better, middle class educated young white girls who should be able to look past the fact that she thinks Trump is a turd. Fucking idiots.
Also the Women's March twitter account wishing Barbara Bush well is something in itself, but choosing the phrase "Rest In Power" is just chilling. That horrible strain of feminism where instead of terrible men wielding ruinous power they want to replace them with a few select women wielding ruinous power.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Twed on April 20, 2018, 12:17:43 AM

Your pitiful common-sense dad act whenever the conversation takes a left turn is revealing of your frustrations and it's beautiful.

Yeah, it's just random words now.

manticore

Honestly, have people forgotten things like this? 'God told me to do it!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKt56ztXSK0

Paul Calf

Quote from: rjd2 on April 20, 2018, 07:01:52 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/madeleine-albright-has-ascended-from-historic-diplomat-to-yas-queen-feminist-icon/2018/04/19/cd55c60e-433a-11e8-bba2-0976a82b05a2_story.html?utm_term=.ea4d1bda7083

Quote"I really don't know that much about her," said a third-year linguistics graduate student in the audience at Georgetown. "I know she was important to Leslie Knope."

/nausea