Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:03:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Original Studio Version of 'Nothing Compares 2 U' Released

Started by Golden E. Pump, April 19, 2018, 07:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden E. Pump

Today Prince's estate have released the original Prince version of 'Nothing Compares 2 U'. It has not been heard before; it didn't circulate as a bootleg and was recorded as a guide track for The Family's version way back in 1984.

It's absolutely gorgeous. I think they might be teeing up a Vault release, which is incredibly exciting.

The rehearsal footage they use in the video is also incredible. There will never be another Prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGA0azFdCs

doppelkorn

Just wow. Thanks so much for posting that.

I'm an absolute sucker for a band that dances while playing.

DrGreggles

DukeDeMondo

Ferris

That was fantastic - thanks for sharing.

I'm going to watch it again.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on April 19, 2018, 10:42:18 PM
Fucking hell that was incredible. God almighty.

Yeah, what a gif! Thanks for posting, DrGreggles.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on April 20, 2018, 07:40:58 AM
Yeah, what a gif! Thanks for posting, DrGreggles.

My pleasure.
Thought this thread was lacking in quality links, so I took it upon myself to help.

Bobby Treetops

Janie Jones

Thanks for this. BBC R6 have played it twice today along with an interview with Prince's studio engineer at the time - she says he wrote it for his young housekeeper who had left suddenly to look after her dying dad, leaving The Purple One with no clean undercrackers and no more Five Alive in the fridge, a sickly fruit-based drink he was partial to.

I don't know if anyone is interested in the photos and videos taken by the police in Paisley Park in the hours and days after Prince's death that are in the public domain now. Pretty creepy stuff, intimate photos of the clutter and mess on his dressing table and bathroom shelves and stuff like that. I wish I hadn't clicked on it.  I won't post a link but it's easy to find. Daily Mail for one has much space devoted to it.

[edit] Parklife!

Dannyhood91

Nowhere Man

I think I listened to it about 4-5 times in a row last night. I love it so much, SOOOO much better than the Live version with Rosie Gaines on The Hits comp.

So bittersweet to see it now though. Especially when I saw that rehearsal footage to go with it. He was so full of life. Fucking pissed i'll never get to see his live act in person.

bgmnts

We all know Prince is the absolute dogs bollocks but for some reason I dont think i can handle anyone other than Sinead O'Connor singing it.

Bloody good though.

Although at a cursory glance after this it seems O'Connor has been flapping her gums to the press about Prince hard drug and women beating tendencies.

Nowhere Man

Love Sinead, but yeah. Not sure what drudging up all this now is helping anything, what with it being a day away from his death anniversary (and my birthday) and everything.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Nowhere Man on April 20, 2018, 06:51:15 PM

So bittersweet to see it now though. Especially when I saw that rehearsal footage to go with it. He was so full of life.

Yes. Those incredible moves in ill-fitting high heels made me wince, it's not hard to see how he ended up in chronic pain addicted to opioids.

non capisco

I was a Prince obsessive in my teens and in all the live and rehearsal footage I've seen he never fucked up that 'kick or push the mic stand over/do the splits and catch it before it hits the floor' move even once. The Prince and the Revolution Live In Syracuse concert is the ultimate in 'how is he doing that?!' stagecraft.