Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Male fruit fliy red light district spunkathon!

Started by Kryton, April 19, 2018, 10:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/flies-drugs-alcohol-ejaculation-sex/

QuoteTeasing out a solution to this question meant teasing a large sample of sexually frustrated flies. The researchers used optogenetics to engineer a cadre of flies to ejaculate when exposed to red light (for the armchair neuroscientists at home, they managed this by activating neurons to express the neuropeptide CRZ, which can trigger the release of sperm and seminal fluid even without sex). These flies predictably showed a strong preference for portions of the lab bathed in red light, confirming that they enjoyed ejaculating even when uncoupled from sex.

Although they're not all LADS. They actually refused alcohol when bathed in their horny red light. Only the flies forced to be celibate ones got arseholed on alcohol (and craved it).

QuoteBut control flies that were kept celibate hit the liquor hard. The findings are the first to show that flies enjoy ejaculating, and may help explain how the brain processes rewards from sex and drugs.

Flies.

Pijlstaart

Not a corazonin fan myself, too many tedious J. Comp. Neurol papers for my liking. Leucokinin is where it's at, y'all sleeping on leucokinin, but it's got all the top end functions, that's the future.

A great study came out a few years ago, some very good people, showing that male flies were more susceptible to addictive stimuli when deprived of mating. Turn to drinking. Not so different, we. http://science.sciencemag.org/content/335/6074/1351.full

Corazonin as spunk-inducer was also shown several years ago using temperature activation rather than light activation, with the added bonus that they could induce ejaculation in decapitated males. Great fun.

Replies From View

This is like towards the end of The Truman Show where bits of the facade started to crack and the main character started to realise what was going on.

We're optogenically-mutated ejaculating fruit flies, aren't we.  All of us.