Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:39:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis Games

Started by TIAL, April 19, 2018, 10:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TIAL

I enjoy a good tennis game, and this year looks like it will finally redress the drought we have had in recent times.

My high hope is for Tennis World Tour (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, Windows) to be good. It comes from the developers of the Top Spin series, so I'm hoping for a realistic and fun simulation of the game. Whilst it might not have all the household names it does have Federer, Agassi and McEnroe - supposedly mo-capped by expert tennis impersonators, it looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwpoyIGKrVE

Then of course there is Mario Tennis Aces (Switch) which seems to build on the disappointing Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and add a load of new features. A decent Nintendo spin on the game could be a sleeper hit and I am excited to see if Nintendo can please a keen Switch audience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMHT2vdWvpg&t

The wildcard seems to be the recently annouced AO International Tennis (PS4, Xbox One), from Australian studio Big Ant who brought us Don Bradman Cricket. The game's previous incarnation AO Tennis was supposedly shite so I am interested to see why they are giving it another go and whether they can build their underperforming game in to something better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqzJN5Evgww

Tennis!

Junglist

I love tennis games. Those, and golf games, are the only two proper sports sims I enjoy. Will be buying the first two, just wish they'd make a new Virtua Tennis, adored everything about VT3.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Top Spin

Xbox

Virtua Tennis 2 also nae bad

asids

Also Smash Court Tennis Pro Tournament 2 for the PS2.

TIAL

Quote from: Junglist on April 19, 2018, 11:21:58 PM
I love tennis games. Those, and golf games, are the only two proper sports sims I enjoy.

I find something strangely meditative about them. Always looking for a good podcast game so I find I can spend a surprising amount of time playing them to give my hands something to do while listening.  Maybe I should take up knitting.

Currently the only PS4 tennis game is the remastered Hot Shots Tennis - simple but does the job.

madhair60

Virtua Tennis 2 Dreamcast mate

Mario Power Tennis on GBA was mint and all

Kelvin

I think I've only played one tennis game; Mario Tennis on either N64 or Gamecube. It was great, anyway. Easy to pickup, achievable to master. Lots of fun items and imaginative stages. Although both seemed to be phased out in later Mario Tennis games.

I'm optimistic about Aces, regardless. Single player could be fun.

biggytitbo

Not really much point looking beyond Virtua Tennis 4.

Cuellar

er

Wii tennis, obviously?

Junglist

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 20, 2018, 08:40:36 AM

Majestic.

Took my Nadal to top 10 worldwide on Xbox Live, absolutely hammered that game.

St_Eddie

As The Beatles famously sang; "all you need is Smash Court Tennis for the PSOne".

Quote from: Junglist on April 21, 2018, 12:04:45 AM
...absolutely hammered that game.

Dirty bastard.

Junglist

Me shaft looked like it'd been through a potato slicer

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Smash court was a mediocre game in comparison to Top Spin & Virtua Tennis. Not even close.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 21, 2018, 09:32:26 PM
Smash court was a mediocre game in comparison to Top Spin & Virtua Tennis. Not even close.

Yes but I haven't played those two, so clearly Smash Court Tennis is superior.  Besides, I like the squat characters and cartoon visuals.

asids

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 21, 2018, 09:32:26 PM

Nah mate

Dex Sawash

biggytitbo

St_Eddie

Monkey tennis?

This is actually a thing in Super Monkey Ball 2.

asids

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 22, 2018, 01:09:07 AM
Monkey tennis?

This is actually a thing in Super Monkey Ball 2.

That reminds me, there's also Sega Superstar Tennis which has Super Monkey Ball characters in it. Pretty much just jumping on the Mario Tennis bandwagon, but hey ho (and Nintendo did the same thing to them after they made Sega Soccer Slam with those Mario Strikers games).

TIAL