Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadpool 2

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 20, 2018, 09:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Enjoyed this much more than the original, which I thought was okay, but only intermittently funny. By comparison, I thought this had a much higher hit rate. Although it's hard to compare, as I watched the original film with an audience that were sat in almost total silence, and I saw this one with an audience that were clearly loving it, so that's bound to have affected my overall enjoyment/experience.

This one starts too slowly, is a bit too (unironically) saccharine, and I was a bit worried about the action direction, initially, but by the point Cable turned up I was really enjoying it. High points were Domino, the parachutes scene, and the end credits scene - but there were big laughs throughout.

Sin Agog

It could be argued that Domino is the most powerful character in the entire Marvelverse.

Timothy

First one was great. This one was pretty meh.

Nobody Soup

I couldn't really get past the fact that 100s of people had to die in the first one all because a guy was worried his girlfriend wouldn't fancy him anymore.

samadriel

Quote from: Nobody Soup on May 20, 2018, 03:16:35 AM
I couldn't really get past the fact that 100s of people had to die in the first one all because a guy was worried his girlfriend wouldn't fancy him anymore.
Is that right? I watched the first one last week and didn't notice that aspect.

Kelvin

Quote from: samadriel on May 20, 2018, 09:28:03 AM
Is that right? I watched the first one last week and didn't notice that aspect.

It's an over simplification, certainly. He goes after the villains because he thinks they've ruined his life by disfiguring him. That's obviously tied to his girlfriend, but I don't think it's as obnoxious as Nobody Soup is implying. He's ashamed and isolated, and all he (thinks) he has left is revenge.

mothman

And besides, they were all bad people anyway! Though I kinda hope Wade's old colleague survived, he didn;t shoot him after all, just knocked him out.

colacentral

I watched it last night. I found the humour of both this and the first one unbearable - definitely geared towards the teenage cunts who were dressed to go out on the piss afterwards that were in my cinema. But having said that, it doesn't ruin the films for me, and I like them as lighthearted takes on X-Men films, which are probably closer in spirit to X-Men comics than the main series films due to how over the top and cartoony they are.

I did think that this second one was weaker as a film than the original - really badly paced, with the beginning and ending both dragging out for ages.

How many times did they do the thing where it goes slow motion and some shit song starts playing? Must have been about five times, and the cretins in my audience laughed at it every time. Am I missing something there?

Had a bloke behind me who was laughing way too loudly at every reference to show that he got it, e.g. Martha, the Logan statue etc. Everyone gets it mate, don't worry.

samadriel

Quote from: mothman on May 20, 2018, 10:31:17 AM
And besides, they were all bad people anyway! Though I kinda hope Wade's old colleague survived, he didn;t shoot him after all, just knocked him out.
The barman? He's in part 2.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: samadriel on May 20, 2018, 11:58:26 AM
The barman? He's in part 2.
That's Weasel. He meant the guy he recognised from some mission in Jackonsville that is part of Ajax/Francis' goon squad during the final battle. Apparently, it's supposed to be Hydra Bob, from the comics.

mothman

Mister Six

I was underwhelmed and only intermittently amused until the end of the prison sequence, but from the recruitments on it really picked up steam, and my the end it was rollicking good fun. I was surprised by how warm and earnest it ended up being, too - and how well that stuff gelled with the meta jokes, especially as the plot/goofiness divide seemed stark in the beginning.

Plus it had Van from Atlanta looking gorgeous, the lad from Wilderpeople setting fire to stuff and the funniest mid-credits scene ever. More excited by the prospect of a third one than I thought I'd be (ie. At all).

Kelvin

Quote from: Mister Six on May 22, 2018, 06:34:50 AM
I was underwhelmed and only intermittently amused until the end of the prison sequence, but from the recruitments on it really picked up steam, and my the end it was rollicking good fun.

This was my experience, too. Underwealmed until Cable turned up and introduced the main plot, at which point the comedy and action picked up considerably. 

QuoteI was surprised by how warm and earnest it ended up being, too - and how well that stuff gelled with the meta jokes, especially as the plot/goofiness divide seemed stark in the beginning.

I was less impressed by that aspect. The stuff with his girlfriend seemed consistently off; neither funny or self aware enough to work comedically, but also too cliched to work dramatically. Nice "Take On Me" gag, though.

Quote]funniest mid-credits scene ever.
100%. I've never really been impressed by any mid-credits sequence, but I thought this one was brilliant. The whole cinema was howling with laughter - probably moreso than at any point in the main film.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on May 22, 2018, 06:46:53 AM
I was less impressed by that aspect. The stuff with his girlfriend seemed consistently off; neither funny or self aware enough to work comedically, but also too cliched to work dramatically. Nice "Take On Me" gag, though.

Not so much the girlfriend stuff (although I was fine with that, and I enjoy their dialogue together) but I thought the business with Cable and the Deadpool/Firefist relationship worked surprisingly well, given the irreverence of the protagonist and script.

jimboslice

I enjoyed it. Slow to start, and they could have trimmed down the sentimental Vanessa stuff a bit lot. Would have been perfect as a 90-minute, no hugs, no learning sort of film. Wish they just killed the little shit at the end too.

But it picked up where the first left off and did a good job of it. Great casting too - Cable & Domino were both excellent, always nice to see Eddie Marsan and Rob Delaney was a lovely little mustachioed treat too.

Norton Canes

A lot of decent jokes but many of them a bit like the same kind of jokes in the first film so a bit ho-hum

It did pick up about halfway through. I started properly laughing in the babylegs scene when Cable appears and they all try to simultaneously make wisecracks.

Dr Rock

Would liked to have seen more of Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

Favourite joke was the Rob Liefeld can't draw feet one. He can't!

Glebe

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 27, 2018, 04:21:41 PMWould liked to have seen more of Negasonic Teenage Warhead.

Indeed, she got fairly short shrift in this one.

Dr Rock

Oh and I am the only one who guessed how his gf would come back from the dead once a time travelling character was introduced?

does it have a jizzing muppet though

Glebe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on May 27, 2018, 07:32:45 PMdoes it have a jizzing muppet though

Russell Brand pops head into thread.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 27, 2018, 07:19:03 PM
Oh and I am the only one who guessed...

The fact it happens when it does is why it worked for me, as it's effectively so throwaway it almost hangs a lampshade on it. It makes you think they've chosen not to do the obvious thing, before unexpectedly saying "Well, you were all thinking it."

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

Haven't seen this yet but my flatmate showed me the first one last night.

Wound me up so much! Every 10 seconds it was dickcheese this, assclown that, all of the humour was total reddit edgelording, I felt like I was back doing my HND. What's up with that? And how can you subvert superhero movies while employing the same stock tropes you're apparently subverting? Hypocrisy

paruses

Saw this yesterday and enjoyed it in line with all those above who enjoyed it - it took a while to get into its stride and then zipped along until running out of steam at the end.

I can see why people didn't like the first one - the wisecracking comes across as just dull smartarse quips for the most part. The only joke I remember from the first one was the Judy Blume reference - which just made me laugh again. I don't recall anyone else in the cinema laughing at that bit but they loved all the other quick fire shit.

I know nothing about comics or these universes - you probably can't even call them comics these days; you would be put in jail. I think that might explain why I laughed on the off beat to a lot of it but it's hard for me to say if there were a lot of references I missed in there since I would have missed them. I did like the series of gags where Deadpool talked over and generally ignored Domino's achievements. That was fairly subtle but funny. There were a few other bits I liked but the whole thing is fairly throwaway so they haven't stuck in my mind.

Have to say I didn't see thing that's been mentioned as a possible easy solution but that's because I hadn't even realized it was in play - even describing this is almost impossible without spoilers so I'll leave it at saying my ignorance saved me.

The guy next to me guffawed and clapped at lots of bits so that we all knew he got it. Then the dick got up and left as soon as the credits rolled despite there almost being an onscreen sign saying "mid-credit sequence coming up". Loads of people ended up standing on the steps watching it. Are people that busy they have to leave immediately?

I really like TJ Miller in 30 second doses too.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's kind of funny that the mainstream X-men films were a sledgehammer subtle gay rights allegory, and yet this irreverent riff on them is the only instalment to actually feature a gay couple.

up_the_hampipe

Just went to see it. Thought it was funnier than the first one, plenty of good gags and a lot lighter on dick jokes. It was dangerously close to toppling over under the weight of the wink-wink meta stuff, but luckily they got away with it and didn't sacrifice the story that much.

Mister Six

Quote from: paruses on May 28, 2018, 02:03:14 PM
I did like the series of gags where Deadpool talked over and generally ignored Domino's achievements. That was fairly subtle but funny.

Similarly, the development in Deadpool's mind of Black Andy (or whatever he was called) from cultural appropriator to actual black man who just looks white, then that rolling over onto Cable, who is subsequently labelled a racist, ending with Deadpool's "take a pinch of racism..." speech at the end.

It's stupendously dense with gags, and it's nice that it fills out the spaces in-between the edgelordy compound swears with actual jokes. Something for everyone.

paruses

Oh yes - the whole ongoing Black Andy thing was very funny and not over-egged. You're right that when they wrote jokes rather than did crappy camp come-backs or straight out swearing it is pretty funny. Even if the hit rate is only 30% there are so many jokes that it feels like you're laughing along (or just enjoying it) consistently.

Am looking forward to number 3. Did I read right that Josh Brolin had signed on for 7 films - or is that part of a wider or or different franchise? Am not sure this could last for 8 outings - I suspect it might be deep into Police Academy territory by then if so.

paruses

Quote from: Kelvin on May 22, 2018, 06:46:53 AM
    Nice "Take On Me" gag, though.

It took me a little while to place and reconcile what I was hearing with what I was seeing but it was good. Did it need to be breathy though?

[Fake edit - yes, I suppose it did given the pace of the scene]

Dr Rock

I couldn't guess who the big guy imprisoned at the bottom of the facility though. Extremely pleased when it was who it was and has now been done properly onscreen after the mockery that was the other version, something that offended me more than how Deadpool was depicted in the Wolverine movie.