Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deadpool 2

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 20, 2018, 09:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: paruses on May 28, 2018, 09:13:21 PM
It took me a little while to place and reconcile what I was hearing with what I was seeing but it was good. Did it need to be breathy though?

[Fake edit - yes, I suppose it did given the pace of the scene]

Plus, I think the joke would be too obvious if it was the original version. It needs to play like a dramatic scene, but have that reference subtley undercutting it.

That said, I hated most of the stuff with his girlfriend this time around. Other than Take On Me, most of their scenes played much too straight for how cliched they were. Stuff about his new family...urgh. Not knowing or parodic, at all. Just typical Hollywood schmaltz - which seemed atypical for the film.

Mister Six

I thought the film did a pretty good job of marrying the schmaltz to the parody stuff, but yeah those scenes were maybe a bit too straight. But I guess that's to show the other side of this guy's character.

Quote from: Kelvin on May 28, 2018, 09:58:40 PM
Plus, I think the joke would be too obvious if it was the original version. It needs to play like a dramatic scene, but have that reference subtley undercutting it.

Same with Juggernaut's choral theme - "Shit fuck piss balls it's Juggernaut oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck" in a Snowman falsetto. A huge amount of love went into this film, and it shows.

Kelvin

I didn't even pick up on the choral lyrics. I just assumed it was an OTT parody of choral themes in films.

Timothy

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2018, 06:08:17 AM
I thought the film did a pretty good job of marrying the schmaltz to the parody stuff, but yeah those scenes were maybe a bit too straight. But I guess that's to show the other side of this guy's character.

Same with Juggernaut's choral theme - "Shit fuck piss balls it's Juggernaut oh fuck oh fuck oh fuck" in a Snowman falsetto. A huge amount of love went into this film, and it shows.

That exact same joke was in South Park Stick of Truth with almost the exact same execution.

up_the_hampipe

Apparently there's a little reference to the TJ Miller stuff in the film. During the news report about Russell at the hospital, the ticker says:

Quote"Christopher Plummer Refuses Role in Deadpool 2."

Dr Rock

Anyone spot Brad Pitt? I didn't.

Just got that the A-Ha moment mirrors the video where someone is trying to bridge the gap between two worlds.

kittens

brad pitt was the invisible bloke, you see him when he gets electrocuted. this film was fine.

greenman

I would echo finding it a bit more enjoyable than the original playing up the better parts of it. As with Scott Pilgrim I teld to take it as a mark of quality that it actually had me enjoying something that I'd typically consider rather insufferable, perhaps highlighting the real problem with such comedy normally tends to be simply a lack of quality. It wasn't all big hits but then again it was dense enough that it didn't really need to be.

Custard

Yeah, enjoyed this too. A very high gag rate, and I was consistently either smiling or laughing

Biggest laffs in my audience where for the little legs scene, and Deadpool taking forever to die

I too twigged early on how they were gonna reverse his lady's death, but them chucking it out during the credits is quite refreshing

4 baaags

madhair60

This was boring crap tbqh

AsparagusTrevor

Saw this today, loved it. Not much more to say really. As others have said, Domino, skydiving and baby-legs were highlights, along with the mid-credit scenes.

Quote from: Kelvin on May 29, 2018, 07:49:58 AM
I didn't even pick up on the choral lyrics. I just assumed it was an OTT parody of choral themes in films.
I didn't notice until they played it in the credits, while I was waiting for a post-credits scene that never materialised.

mothman

I saw it today too! Be weird if we were inthe same cinema (though very unlikely).

AsparagusTrevor

There were several other people in there but when I shouted "MOTHMAN?!" nobody answered.

(Sheffield Cineworld btw)

mothman

A Vue in Bristol, so you obviously didn't shout loud enough.

This was worlds better than the first one. I enjoyed the first one anyways because I'm a dumb ape who will buy any of this Marvel stuff, but the humour was much worse and when you really think about it the plot was abysmal. The first one survived on the novelty of the Deadpool character and a few little things (like, again, the novelty of seeing Colossus and Megasonic on screen)

This new one was actually a very good superhero movie with an interesting plot, and funny enough overall even with a fair share of jokes that didn't land for me. Josh Brolin is a pro. (The ending once we realize Cable is going to use his time-travel charge to save Deadpool was a little rushed, but no matter they got me genuinely emotional with the "heaven" scene right before - who would have expected pathos in the Deadpool sequel?)

New Jack

Are you bear, God? It's me, Margaret