Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Freddy Got Fingered

Started by newbridge, April 22, 2018, 01:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbridge

It's an unanswerable mystery perhaps. If bits like the sausage fingers or baby scenes were intended to be funny in the sense that Tom Green sat down and said "this is really going to make them laugh," then I personally might be closer to the Ebert camp of thinking the movie is atrocious.

Quote from: Kelvin on April 22, 2018, 03:54:34 PM
Other scenes, like the deer and the horse

The interesting thing about the horse scene is that he doesn't masturbate it. He only bobs the penis around in his palm.

This is probably another case of them dancing around the ratings. If he had actually pulled the horse to climax, it would be a case of bestiality and therefore a NC-17 film.

Kelvin

Quote from: newbridge on April 22, 2018, 04:04:05 PM
It's an unanswerable mystery perhaps. If bits like the sausage fingers or baby scenes were intended to be funny in the sense that Tom Green sat down and said "this is really going to make them laugh," then I personally might be closer to the Ebert camp of thinking the movie is atrocious.

But to me, the baby scene feels no more "crap" than Mr Creosote exploding, or the organ transplant scene in Meaning of Life. They are simply very grotesque and shocking pieces of absurdity.

The sausage scene is entirely in line with countless surreal Reeves and Mortimer ideas - Mulligan and O'Hare, most obviously. That might not be your preferred style of humour, but it's almost certainly intended to make people laugh at the sheer stupidity and unexpectedness of what they're seeing.     

Blumf

The thing with the sausage fingers scene is that it doesn't come out of nowhere, it's not like R&M stuff where it's dropped on you without warning, he's (miss-)taking on board something his girlfriend says. I still like it as part of the film, just him doing one more mindlessly stupid thing.

Anyhow; thanks to this thread, I showed my wife this for the first time tonight. She went in completely cold, not knowing who Tom Green was or anything. My only comment being "Remember, a big studio paid real money for this"

She hated it, worst movie she's ever seen. But... there were hints that she will come around to it. Made me proud.

up_the_hampipe

Remember that Tom Green Show special where he was hanging around with Monica Lewinsky and trying to trick the media into thinking they were an item? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgwQ01v0tqY

Kelvin

Quote from: Blumf on April 22, 2018, 11:19:06 PM
The thing with the sausage fingers scene is that it doesn't come out of nowhere, it's not like R&M stuff where it's dropped on you without warning, he's (miss-)taking on board something his girlfriend says. I still like it as part of the film, just him doing one more mindlessly stupid thing.

Yes, but it's an very unexpected and ridiculous interpretation of what she says. I agree its not exactly the same as R&M, but it's still effectively a joke that relies on surreal imagery and the pure stupidity of what he's doing, rather than some internal logic or setup/payoff.

Twed

QuoteI don't really like picking on the little guy. I don't like picking on people who are minorities, less fortunate, disabled or people who are not powerful people. I want to sort of speak truth to power, to government, to the system that we're living in that we're not really in control of. I stay away from making fun of people. I don't do a lot of racial issues. I don't do a lot of religious humor. I don't really do a lot of making fun of people for the way they look. I don't really do a lot of making fun of people for their sexual orientation or their sex. That's not my style. That's, by the way, what a lot of people do in comedy. They talk about these things because it's sometimes an easier laugh. I'm more trying to challenge myself and talk about things like corporate America or addiction to technology or legalizing drugs and the government and freedoms that we have that are being stripped away. It's finding humor in all of that stuff.

Wet Blanket

I haven't seen it since it came out but still can sometimes be heard singing "I'm the backwards man the backwards man I can walk backwards fast as you can"

The tiny moment where he's dressed as a British policeman and someone addresses him as 'officer' has stuck with me for some reason too.

Utter Shit

Best bit in the whole movie is him getting run over by the truck while covered by the deer skin and then, as the driver checks on him, just giggles and casually says "I wasn't expecting that to happen!". Completely fucking bonkers.

I enjoyed this little story. Tom Green talking about his time on Celebrity Apprentice (with Donald Trump).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yanE03KV00

'I know the president, personally. The president knows me. Anyone who knows me should probably not be president.'

Twit 2

I watched this when it came out, so I'd have been quite young. The only thing I remember is the bit where he rigs up some sausages with pieces of string, which I thought was the funniest thing I'd ever seen and a bit that even then seemed a bit much where he was whacking a paralysed woman's legs and saying, it's okay she can't feel it. On the basis of that, seems like a good film.

newbridge

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 23, 2018, 11:04:30 AM
I enjoyed this little story. Tom Green talking about his time on Celebrity Apprentice (with Donald Trump).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yanE03KV00

'I know the president, personally. The president knows me. Anyone who knows me should probably not be president.'

Dice 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcJn2xpa0eg

thraxx

This thread intrigued so I thought I'd watch this film.  How I wish I hadn't.  It's main problem is that it's just not funny.  But my 14 year old self might have found it funny.

newbridge

Quote from: thraxx on May 02, 2018, 11:18:44 PM
This thread intrigued so I thought I'd watch this film.  How I wish I hadn't.  It's main problem is that it's just not funny.  But my 14 year old self might have found it funny.

Yes, but what's your take on the theory that it is so intentionally unfunny as to be brilliantly funny? I respect the opinions of the people in the thread who find it straightforwardly funny as shock humor, but I wonder if that view is heavily influenced by having originally watched it closer to when it came out (much as I still find the early Adam Sandler movies absolutely hilarious). For me watching Freddy Got Fingered for the first time in 2018, most of it seemed too lolrandom to be genuinely effective, absent the possible subtext that he was deliberately sabotaging the movie.

Kelvin

Just to be clear, I didn't see it when it came out. It was years later.

thraxx

Quote from: newbridge on May 02, 2018, 11:38:33 PM
Yes, but what's your take on the theory that it is so intentionally unfunny as to be brilliantly funny? I respect the opinions of the people in the thread who find it straightforwardly funny as shock humor, but I wonder if that view is heavily influenced by having originally watched it closer to when it came out (much as I still find the early Adam Sandler movies absolutely hilarious). For me watching Freddy Got Fingered for the first time in 2018, most of it seemed too lolrandom to be genuinely effective, absent the possible subtext that he was deliberately sabotaging the movie.

I don't think it's deliberately sabotaged, or intentionally unfunny.  I just thought it was badly written, poorly directed, excruciatingly misjudged.  It's just a bad film.

Shit Good Nose

I think I'm one of the very very few Brits that actually saw it at the cinema (remember 90% of us Brits had no idea who Tom Green was at the time, and the film was pulled from most cinemas inside of a week, if memory serves, before being pushed straight out on video and DVD a month or so later).  I can't even remember why I went to see it - I saw him live when he did a VERY lengthy tour of small UK comedy clubs in 2000 or 2001 (but before FGF) and didn't think he was very good (lots of props and unfunny non-sequiturs.  Think I described it as Carrot Top on weed instead of speed), and, of course, saw his extended cameos in Road Trip and Charlie's Angels (dreadful in both of them) - I think I must've found something, or some thingS, amusing in the trailer.  I don't remember walking out thinking it was the worst film I'd ever seen, but I do remember not laughing.  At all.  I normally like random silly (hardcore Vic and Bob fan), but the silliness in FGF just seemed so forced and Green not very fluid in delivering it.  Almost robotic, like he'd been programmed.  Like how Richard Herring has been delivering his shows for the last 10 or more years.

Since then, I've had trouble equating that Tom Green with the one who now does relatively conventional stand-up and regularly crops up on various shows talking all normal and sensible, like.

SavageHedgehog

One thing notable about Tom Green's peak era looking back is the extent he and/or his PR Team/employers went to comb over his receding hairline. "I'm one of you kids, I'm not pushing 30, honest!"

Dex Sawash

Most Recent of Planet of Apes

Wasn't as good as first 2. Second one was best I think. The little naked new ape had to wear a little down vest lol. Should get shopped into a tory photo with a dog.

Dex Sawash

Blumf

St_Eddie

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 05, 2018, 07:52:47 PM
The little naked new ape had to wear a little down vest lol. Should get shopped into a tory photo with a dog.

Best part of Freddy Got Fingered, without a doubt.

Twed