Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:00:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Americans; whatever season it is now

Started by Dex Sawash, April 22, 2018, 02:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Mr and Mrs Teacup, first episode that was close to normal quality.

rasta-spouse

Keri Russell's character has been engaging in a lot of comical acts of violence this season. After the park shooting when she turns to Paige covered in that guy's brains it's so OTT that it's laugh out loud funny. The number of people she takes out in the warehouse robbery seemed a bit much too.

Z

Not super impressed with the last season or this one tbh, it's all just seeming kinda messy.

I don't totally get whats going on with the travel agency, did Phillip lose a paycheck by dropping out of spying and he's trying to make the money back by expanding?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Z on April 22, 2018, 06:43:29 PM
Not super impressed with the last season or this one tbh, it's all just seeming kinda messy.

I don't totally get whats going on with the travel agency, did Phillip lose a paycheck by dropping out of spying and he's trying to make the money back by expanding?

I predict we are going to see him lose his USA-friendly side through horrors of capitalism, subverting the arc

Z

Most recent episode was the best since season 4 imo, lotsa grimness.

Z

Actually rewatching it now, glad it's kicked into gear a bit earlier than I expected. Episode was about 15 minutes longer than normal but it felt like it packed in way more.

I always forget how weird it is that Keri Russell is actually able to pull off her character, it seems like it should be a huge reach for her; she's usually given the wonkier plots to work with (this artist shite is a bit lame, yeah? and the sheer body count she's leaving after her this season is ridiculous). Matthew Rhys is just brilliant in this though, big jaded face on him.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 22, 2018, 01:48:15 PM
The number of people she takes out in the warehouse robbery seemed a bit much too.
Yup, that was some dumb arse Rambo crap,
but I've come this far and I'm willing to cut them a little slack.

Favourite character is still Mrs Bucket.
Oleg comes a close second.

Hopefully the finale is gonna be shit hot.

Z

I'm not really buying Paige this season. It was a decent idea to do the religion stuff earlier just to show she's kind of susceptible to any old shite but it's still just a bit of a mess.

So what does everyone think the ending is gonna be? One of them has to die? It wouldn't surprise me hugely if they very abruptly kill Stan? Maybe even next episode, them getting away with it seems possible.

Dex Sawash

My Peter's Mad Thought for each season has been "this is the one where Paige does anal"
We may actually be there now, maybe Mrs Bucket in the kitchen with a strap-on.

Last week's ep was first full quality one for me. Glad they didn't show what if anything Stan was able to discover in the laundry cellar.

Z

You didn't rate Rififi?

I doubt they'll do a surprise reveal that Stan found something. He's going to though, and he's probably going to approach them without informing the FBI.

Add Oleg to the mix and you've got a potentially bonkers final few episodes.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Stan can get help from Philip and Elizabeth's schedule, now that he suspects that every time they're out of town, they're involved in something the FBI has evidence on. The dates would match.
Besides, it would be a very bittersweet victory for Stan, if he contributes to their identification. It would also cost him some of his closest friends, his job, as he spent six or seven years next to dangerous Russian spies without noticing anything, even sharing some sensitive information with Philip, and his marriage, as Renee is likely to be a Russian agent herself.

Morrison Lard

It's building up to be quite the bloody tense thing ain't it.

Elizabeth is way too far gone, she's been a dead (wo)man walking for a long time.
Paige, in her blind naivety, ain't too far behind.

Phillip who has been trying his best to line-dance himself away from all this nastiness
is bound to die. I can't see anything else for the poor sod.

Stan. Hmmmm.
I think he'll be involved with all of the above.

Was his missus a red herring all along?

I hope Oleg gets away from it all and just buggers off back to Moscow to print out train timetables from 9-5.
And marries Mrs Bucket.
And they adopt Henry.
And move next door to Martha.

Heck, I can dream.

Morrison Lard

Also, how bloody tense was that last episode.
Just watching Stan mooch around their house for ages. No dialogue. Nowt.

But still. Fuuuuuuck.

I think I might go back and watch this from the start when it's all done.

My favourite yank TV series since Better Call Saul.

Z

Quote from: Morrison Lard on May 13, 2018, 12:30:28 AM
Was his missus a red herring all along?
I could see them playing up her suspiciousness being used to make Stan suspect her too.

Anyways, three episodes left and the final two are written and directed by the people who've done the last few season opener and closers. Would be stunned if they don't find out Stan knows by the end of the episode, possibly a confrontation of some kind.

Have they got one or two cyanide capsules now? I cant recall if that harvest guy used his.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The harvest guy used his to fasten his death. The now headless lady didn't, and the necklace was put in the bag, presumably dropped in the lake near Chicago (which wouldn't go well with the fish).

Stan will finally connect the dots, when he borrows a copy of Autumn's Leaves that he reads on the toilet, only to notice that it's autographed "From Nadezhda to Mischa" in Russian.

Dex Sawash

Another good ep, tension ramped up. After Elizabeth broke Mrs. Bucket's face a few seasons back, did she say she would fuck her up again if crossed?

Dex Sawash

Oleg is massive this week. The Paige/Elizabeth scene was the only weak one in the show.

Is not-america getting teaser trailers for new season of Snowfall? Orange-as-fuckness aside,  these are fabulous spots that end with crack vials standing in for shell casings.
https://youtu.be/qO7kf9Tigvo

Dex Sawash

Final ep good enough, won't spoil it. A little unsatisfying after last week's great episode.

Ant Farm Keyboard

I loved it. Not giving satisfaction was the whole point of the thing. Nothing is black and white, the episode operates in some gray areas.

Z

Yeah it's a show that gets away with a bit of a damp squib of an ending. I like that they didn't make an effort to tidy everything up. The way they made use of Stan's wife in the end was great considering she was probably just a prospective plot point they bailed on, Phillip trying to do something nice and destroying the one thing Stan had in the process.

Did Paige lose her nerve and get off to avoid the inspection or did she make a choice to?
I assume she was just waiting for her arrest there at the end?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Stan's wife also showed that there were things that nobody had a clear grasp on and that were above the pay grade of every major character in the show. I tend to think that the writers made her ambiguous on purpose, without any intention of clarifying it later, just to fuel suspicion and paranoia.

Paige basically chickened out. Police searches focused on Philip and Elizabeth. It doesn't look like she had her identification sheet sent to the cops. Apart from the family's confession to Stan, there's nothing solid that tied her with her parents' activities. But her attachment to the cause, to her parents and to Russia was not as strong as she thought it was. Ultimately, she was just a teenager, with many insecurities and much posture. I don't think she has a master plan. For now, she may stay at the safe house, she may sip a little vodka, but that's all.

The actress offers a few ideas about her future whereabouts.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/holly-taylor-paige-jennings-future.html

One interesting thing about this finale, which is also pointed out in the interview, is that we definitely can have a better sense of history than the characters themselves, as the writers took the creative decision to leave some stuff unresolved, while you can connect the dots on some side stories.

For instance, Oleg may not spend the rest of his life in jail, even if he thinks that he will. Stan knows for sure now that he was just trying to prevent an assassination attempt against a diplomat and a coup against Gorbachev. The Soviet authorities will be informed through Elizabeth, Philip and Arkady of what the Center tried to do, which will likely result in a purge and a request by the regime to trade Oleg, a true "hero," with an American prisoner.
Then, we're less than four years away from the collapse of the Soviet Union, which is something nobody on the show really sees coming. It also makes everything done by the Jenningses even more doomed, as they were ultimately fighting for a lost cause.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on June 01, 2018, 08:48:38 PM
I loved it. Not giving satisfaction was the whole point of the thing. Nothing is black and white, the episode operates in some gray areas.

I've had another think about it and have come around some. Will watch again. The parking garage scene was perfect.

Penfold

What was the best song?

I learned that Golden Earring had a second song and I loved the show to this day!

https://youtu.be/a1sf2CzEq0w

rasta-spouse

McDonalds and U2 was just a more "on the nose" spin on onion rings and Journey, wasn't it?

A lukewarm ending to a show that had lost its way in its last two seasons. Best storyline was between Philip and Martha, (the emotional toll taken on the people that these spies manipulate was fascinating territory) and when she went so did my interest in the show. The whole Paige thing just felt really undeveloped, but could have evolved into something great.

Were Stan and Philip really best friends, or was that something just forced onto the final season to justify Stan's neglect of duty. I didn't buy that last scene with them. Still watched the last 30 mins of the finale with bated breath though.

Dex Sawash

I'm imagining Phillip ditching Elizabeth and spending the rest of his life in character  as Clark trying to make things better for Martha in some desolate Black Sea shithole. Maybe they become minor oligarchs in the 90s.

Z

Quote from: rasta-spouse on June 05, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
Were Stan and Philip really best friends, or was that something just forced onto the final season to justify Stan's neglect of duty. I didn't buy that last scene with them. Still watched the last 30 mins of the finale with bated breath though.

I bought it, Truman's friend was in need of a new friend and made a steady effort to befriend him, gradually winning Philip over. I think a lot of the show doesn't hold up to scrutiny much at all, the core cast were just very very good with their characters.

Season 6 had a hot streak in it, 5 overall was a bit of a dud (what were they at with Philip's son?). 3 and 4 were definitely the high point of the series though, just a really sour show at points with some great performances.