Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kanye West's June Takeover - 8th Solo, Cudi Collab, Nas, and More

Started by Ja'moke, April 23, 2018, 01:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Kanye West returned to Twitter last week, and in between tweets about consciousness, ownership of ideas and terrible footwear designs, he announced a series of upcoming projects, including his next solo album, a collab album with Kid Cudi, and a bunch of other albums he's helped produce.

25 May - Pusha T album
1 June - Kanye 8th solo album (7 songs)
8 June - Kids See Ghost (the name of Kanye and Cudi's duo)
15 June - Nas album
22 June - Teyana Taylor debut album

Kanye has produced all of these apparently, and not just "exec-produced", as in produced-produced, in the lab chopping up samples produced. Teyana Taylor, a female singer signed to GOOD Music, who has appeared on a lot of Kanye's albums, said that he produced her entire record and it's got an old-school Kanye vibe. And also... Nas on Kanye beats?! Yes please.

What do we make of all this?

Personally, I'll always be excited by a new Kanye album, even if his last one, The Life of Pablo, is still a source of frustration. I have a love/hate relationship with that album. There are some amazing highs, but so much messiness surrounding those moments of greatness. Although, given his subsequent mental breakdown and hospitalisation that same year, it does put that record's scattered, falling-apart-at-the-seams aesthetic in a new light. It's a great summation of the man at that period in his life if nothing else.

That said, I don't want another TLOP, I want a record that has a consistent sound and theme. I relistened to Yeezus the other day and it's still stunning. If he can match something with that clear a vision then I'll be very happy. The positive is, he spent months in a recording studio in Wyoming, basically locked himself away to work on all this music. That's what he did for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, arguably his best album (at least his most critically acclaimed album), when he spent months in Hawaii crafting every piece of that record. Also, if he sticks to his word (which is a stupid thing to rely on when it comes to Kanye West), then the album is only going to be 7 songs, which I'd take any day over the bloated tracklist on TLOP.

he doesn't half tweet some bizarre shit. i do hope he's taking care of himself

Z

I don't really expect Kanye to not half ass a collab album. Will be expecting watch the throne levels of quality at best.

7 songs with heavy kid Cudi collaboration sounds utterly horrible to me, tbh. Seven long bores. A completely manic mess like tLoP is much more alluring.

sevendaughters

Kids See Ghost really sounds like a group that would have opened for Saves The Day in a rec centre in 1995. I can't pretend to be excited by any of this - have a real problem with hype so I duck out until they become less famous, I did like 808s tho - but don't let me waylay this thread.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Z on April 23, 2018, 08:35:44 AM
I don't really expect Kanye to not half ass a collab album. Will be expecting watch the throne levels of quality at best.

7 songs with heavy kid Cudi collaboration sounds utterly horrible to me, tbh. Seven long bores. A completely manic mess like tLoP is much more alluring.

Kanye was on fire for Watch The Throne, definitely the most effort he put into the rapping side of things, which isn't usually his main appeal.

And the 7 songs is his solo album. The collab album with Cudi is separate. Though I'm excited for both, I don't think Kanye and Cudi have made a bad song together, in fact, Cudi has been a highlight on most of Kanye's albums - Gorgeous, Guilt Trip, and Welcome To Heartbreak being the standouts.

Z

Ja'moke

Quote from: Z on April 23, 2018, 01:10:22 PM
Wait, he's doing a solo album and a cudi album?

Yep. June 1st he's releasing his 7 track solo album. Then on June 8 he's releasing Kids See Ghost, his collab album with Kid Cudi.

Z

Ooooh, a lot more interested in both so.

It's kinda weird to me Kanye has never done an instrumental album. Has he even some an instrumental track?

mr. logic

Obviously, the one everybody is looking forward to is Nas

up_the_hampipe

Ja'moke

Nas' main problem has always been his beat selection (other than Illmatic obviously), so working on an entire album with Kanye is exciting. But I'm also hyped for Pusha T, that guy has been killing it since Clipse, and I really enjoyed his last two albums. I assume this is the "King Push" record that he's been working on for ages, so I expect big things.

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

Quote from: thugler on April 25, 2018, 08:54:32 PM
Who are those tits?

Kanye West and his new white friends (Lyor Cohen and some other music exec).

Large Noise

Grimly satisfied to see Kanye disappoint all the people who've been pretending not to notice that he's a total fucking idiot.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Large Noise on April 26, 2018, 01:24:20 AM
Grimly satisfied to see Kanye disappoint all the people who've been pretending not to notice that he's a total fucking idiot.

He's always been like this, for better or worse (and this recent shit is definitely in the "worse" cateogry), he is 100% himself and obviously not managed by a PR team. It's one of the things that make him one of the only, if not THE only, interesting mainstream celebrities, especially in the music industry. Obviously it helps that he's a super talented producer and puts out interesting work.

Though I understand why many people just see him as an idiot, and that's valid.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 26, 2018, 04:42:38 AM
He's always been like this, for better or worse (and this recent shit is definitely in the "worse" cateogry), he is 100% himself and obviously not managed by a PR team. It's one of the things that make him one of the only, if not THE only, interesting mainstream celebrities, especially in the music industry. Obviously it helps that he's a super talented producer and puts out interesting work.

Though I understand why many people just see him as an idiot, and that's valid.

tag   Morrissey nods sagely

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 23, 2018, 08:39:52 PM
Nas' main problem has always been his beat selection (other than Illmatic obviously), so working on an entire album with Kanye is exciting.

I think Nas has selected many incredible beats throughout his career.

Side note: very sad to see Kanye turn into an alt-right knobarse.

Z

Kanye put a track in his last album purely because someone said he was stealing a word (wavey?). Every song on this one is going to be about trump and his new line of shoes,the cover is probably going to be a selfie of the two of them.

It's all extremely embarrassing.

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 26, 2018, 11:53:46 AM

One or two per album maybe, surrounded by lots of terrible or boring ones.

All of these new Kanye albums (including Nas', Pusha T's, etc) are all just 7 songs each apparently.

rjd2

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 26, 2018, 11:53:46 AM

Side note: very sad to see Kanye turn into an alt-right knobarse.

Doubt he agrees with any of that alt right stuff, probably just likes the flamboyance of Trump and those sexier lower taxes Republicans offer to people of his wealth.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: rjd2 on April 26, 2018, 03:45:51 PM
Doubt he agrees with any of that alt right stuff, probably just likes the flamboyance of Trump and those sexier lower taxes Republicans offer to people of his wealth.

He says he likes how Candace Owens thinks.

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 26, 2018, 02:45:06 PM
One or two per album maybe, surrounded by lots of terrible or boring ones.

More than that. He had a couple of dud albums in the 90s but Stillmatic onwards he's been very consistent.

Funcrusher

Having not bothered with him since The College Dropout, that's not motivating me to investigate further.

Ja'moke

He's all into this "victim mentality = new slaves" shit at the minute.

"Free thinkers don't fear retaliation for your thoughts. The traditional thinkers are only using thoughts and words but they are in a mental prison. You are free. You've already won. Feel energized. Move in love not fear. Be afraid of nothing."

"there was a time when slavery was the trend and apparently that time is still upon us. But now it's a mentality. self victimization is a disease"

It's easy to think like that from your mansion in Calabasas, I guess.