Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:12:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kanye West's June Takeover - 8th Solo, Cudi Collab, Nas, and More

Started by Ja'moke, April 23, 2018, 01:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 26, 2018, 03:48:13 PM
More than that. He had a couple of dud albums in the 90s but Stillmatic onwards he's been very consistent.

Stillmatic was mostly good, probably my second favourite album of his after Illmatic. God's Son was hit and miss. Street's Disciple was full of dud beats, and it was a double album! I remember being really disappointed with that record at the time of release. Hip Hop Is Dead, similar, a couple of decent beats, but just lots of uninspired stuff. Untitled I need to relisten to, that one might actually have a higher hit rate from what I can remember. Life Is Good, mostly duds.

It's a shame because lyrically Nas is near untouchable.

up_the_hampipe

I thought God's Son, Life Is Good, that "untitled" album that was basically just called the N-word, and Hip-Hop Is Dead had enough good production to be considered decent albums, a lot of those tracks getting more repeats than many "great" hip-hop albums for me. Street's Disciple was fairly disappointing though, I'll give you that.

Z

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 26, 2018, 03:48:13 PM
He says he likes how Candace Owens thinks.
Yep, I think it's a waste of time trying to justify his talk as though it's got any kind of weight at all.

He's a manic dude who is utterly fixated on needing to prove he's the smartest guy in the room, of course he'd gravitate towards all this bullshit.

RE: Nas, didnt he already work with Kanye?

We have a new Kanye song! http://www.kanyewest.com/

It's uh.... interesting. Possibly a gag? Couldn't be, the sample is too good. But perhaps...

jobotic

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 26, 2018, 03:59:57 PM
It's a shame because lyrically Nas is near untouchable.

Don't say my car's topless
Say the titties is out

Z

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 28, 2018, 03:39:29 AM
We have a new Kanye song! http://www.kanyewest.com/

It's uh.... interesting. Possibly a gag? Couldn't be, the sample is too good. But perhaps...
Sounds like a demo, all that "whoop dee dee scoop poop" sounded to me like "and here's Chance's verse"

That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he released a total mess (The Life of Pablo is basically a manic episode on a disc) and he permanently becomes some semi-fried Brian Wilson type who shows just enough of his old talent to be a depressing reminder.

How bad are those two 99 Nas albums that his rep was so low by Stillmatic? It Was Written isn't terrible or anything, like. Or was it just that they were released with a six month gap, so it felt like compounded shittiness instead of just one swift dose of shit.

Funcrusher

Quote from: jobotic on April 28, 2018, 11:14:59 AM
Don't say my car's topless
Say the titties is out

That's the only one I know that's not on Illmatic. The beat's good.

jobotic

I was being silly really. I don't really know Nas' stuff. Not sure why. I know my Group Homes and that so not totally ignorant but he's passed me by.

The beat to Made You Look is fantastic.

Z

up_the_hampipe

Ja'moke

According to Kanye that's the cover for his new album, a photo of the surgeon who performed his mum's plastic surgery when she died. And the album title is LOVE EVERYONE.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/990263790368256000

Porter Dimi

The last album had about three changes before settling on The Life of Pablo, so I don't expect either of those to stick. (Also he did just release a joke track earlier today so he could well be taking the piss.)

Ja'moke

Quote from: Porter Dimi on April 28, 2018, 05:44:10 PM
The last album had about three changes before settling on The Life of Pablo, so I don't expect either of those to stick. (Also he did just release a joke track earlier today so he could well be taking the piss.)

He released two tracks. The joke track, and then one featuring T.I. called Ye vs The People. The joke track is better.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 28, 2018, 05:38:34 PM
According to Kanye that's the cover for his new album, a photo of the surgeon who performed his mum's plastic surgery when she died. And the album title is LOVE EVERYONE.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/990263790368256000

I love Perez Hilton in the comments telling him he might not be able to legally use the photo.

I would say that Kanye has finally gone off the deep end, but I think I said that about the last two or three albums.

Ja'moke

Ok, I thought he might have gone legit nuts this time, but he may actually have a clear concept in mind?

After his MAGA hat photos which got liberals all out of wack, he's now tweeted a photo of Emma Gonzalez (Parkland shooting survivor fighting for gun control) with the caption "My hero," and now he's got conservatives all losing their shit.

This comes after tweeting that Andy Kaufman sketch and the Joseph Beuys book: https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/990387301363535872?s=21

He'd previously tweeted a photo from one of Beuys' performance pieces called "I Like America and America Likes Me", which was about wanting to highlight the divide among Americans during the 70s by starting national discourse.

I mean, it's all pointless if it doesn't translate into good music, but at least I no longer think he's turned into some nuts alt-right dude.

up_the_hampipe

No surprise, the surgeon does not want to be on Kanye's album cover, but it looks like they're on their way to making amends https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/991060961170620416?s=21

This "all you need is love" Kanye is weirding me out but I can't hate on it.

Ja'moke

Behind the scenes footage of Kanye and T.I. recording "Ye vs. The People" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQBcpvBY6xg

EDIT: And now the full interview with Charlamagne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxwfDlhJIpw&feature=player_embedded

sevendaughters

wasn't so interested in this but I must admit it's had one hell of an ad campaign.

Ja'moke

The Pusha T album is out. It's really good. Very short though, only runs 21 minutes. The plus is that means no filler I guess. For all of Kanye's craziness, no one can doubt his production skills. The beats on this are all excellent.

DukeDeMondo

I've listened to the Pusha T album a couple or three times now. I think it's absolutely brilliant. "Santeria" is fucking blinding.

I'm deliriously excited for whatever comes next.

Z

Pusha managed to fit in a ric flair reference again 
He'll  eventually have a photo of flair as his album cover.

First listen was pretty good, sounds... Interesting. Definitely not the masterpiece I continue to expect from pusha t though

Ja'moke

I can't stop listening to this Pusha album. Those samples are killer. Infrared, y'know what I mean?

Definitely made me more excited for Kanye's album on Friday.

up_the_hampipe

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 28, 2018, 04:56:03 PM
Drake's response to Pusha was pretty good.

Yeah, is that real though? Or just a marketing thing. Drake was out in Wyoming working on this album with Kanye.

Z

Pusha T is perfect for a 20 minute solo album actually. His strengths and his weaknesses are kind of the same.

Am kind of expecting all these Kanye projects to be around that length but if not it was an utterly inspired choice.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 28, 2018, 05:44:40 PM
Yeah, is that real though? Or just a marketing thing. Drake was out in Wyoming working on this album with Kanye.

It was certainly a suspiciously quick response.

mr. logic

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on May 25, 2018, 01:09:24 PM
I've listened to the Pusha T album a couple or three times now. I think it's absolutely brilliant. "Santeria" is fucking blinding.

I'm deliriously excited for whatever comes next.

I really wish they had just left the first beat on Santeria to carry the entire song. It's so fucking great, and the switch feels unnecessary. Great album though.