Author Topic: Kanye West's June Takeover - 8th Solo, Cudi Collab, Nas, and More  (Read 6618 times)

Ja'moke

• based on the novel Push by Sapphire
    • Inside Survivor
Re: Kanye West's June Takeover - 8th Solo, Cudi Collab, Nas, and More
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »
Didn't he largely do Daytona from scratch* too? I got the impression he scrapped everything and done it all in Wyoming. Cudi and Nas are probably gonna suffer the same faith.

Would not be surprised if the Teyana Taylor one is significantly more polished than the others though. That's a project that he quite clearly wants to be a big pop hit and she's been kept relatively under wraps.

Nah, Daytona he'd been working on for well over a year. He's been going back and forth to Wyoming for the past year and half working on a lot of this music and Pusha was one of the first done. The Kid's See Ghost album was also done a while back from all accounts (it was the only one with a complete track list when he posted that image a couple months ago).

I'm still playing Daytona and ye every day. Really love both of them. Much more replay value than Pablo.

DukeDeMondo

• fuck sake
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »
I dunno how many times I've listened to Ye now. Dozens, anyway. I fell completely and utterly stinking in love with it from about a minute into "I Thought About Killing You" on the first listen, and I absolutely love it to bits still. That great bit of brawling that goes on throughout, "Listen to what the fuck I want to say!" and "Why the fuck did I say that?" and "Why the fuck did I think that?" circling other endlessly, makes for some properly compelling and dizzying and relatable drama, and the result of it all, I think anyway, is something as touching and humble and clear-sighted and self-aware as it is ugly and repellent and obnoxious. It's some arresting alchemy is what it is, there's no two ways about it.

I think it works best taken as a 23 minute whole. "Ghost Town" is absolutely the peak and should probably have closed the thing, but it needs everything that comes before it. Arriving when it does it's incredibly cathartic and affecting. First time it came on I just stopped mid-step wherever I was and stood there with my mouth open for the duration.

Initially it felt to me like an album's worth of "I Feel Like That"s, but it's more playful and unpredictable and contradictory than that, really.

I love it, anyway.   

I'm excited about Kids See Ghosts, but not overly so. I really don't like Kid Cudi's stuff at all. Granted I've only heard Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven and Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin', but I didn't think either of them were any good. But, we'll see. Daytona and Ye are more than enough to be getting on with, even if the rest of what's to come is garbage. Which I don't think it will be.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2018, 02:59:22 PM »
It's not a Cudi solo album though, it's a Cudi & Kanye collab album, and their songs together are near uniformly excellent. Welcome To Heartbreak, Gorgeous, Father Stretch My Hands, Heartless, Christian Dior Denim Flow... Ghost Town. I'm thinking it could be better than ye.

Here's the album cover by Takashi Murakami:

DukeDeMondo

• fuck sake
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
It's not a Cudi solo album though, it's a Cudi & Kanye collab album, and their songs together are near uniformly excellent.

Yeah that's true. I guess in my head I've been imagining a Cudi-heavy affair which will most likely sound more like his solo stuff than not, but there's no reason to be thinking that at all, really. We'll see, anyway. Couple days.

The album artwork is gorgeous.

Cuellar

• Push off my wire
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2018, 03:27:14 PM »
Quite enjoying Ye, think my favourite track is 'All Mine'

Z

• The movie, not the TV series, or the book
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2018, 10:11:20 PM »
Nah, Daytona he'd been working on for well over a year. He's been going back and forth to Wyoming for the past year and half working on a lot of this music and Pusha was one of the first done. The Kid's See Ghost album was also done a while back from all accounts (it was the only one with a complete track list when he posted that image a couple months ago).

I'm still playing Daytona and ye every day. Really love both of them. Much more replay value than Pablo.
Did he only gut Daytona down to 22 minutes relatively recently then? I'm positive I read that the length was only a very recent thing at the very least.

I love Daytona's cover, if I haven't already said. Not even sure why but it goes very well with the album .

Pablo's great, you've just gotta cut out about half the tracks.

Listening to ye I do have to wonder if Kanye has somewhat forgotten how to produce. Between MBDTF and Yeezus (and a little bit with TLOP), it was very much him doing rough stabs and bringing in people to get it towards what he was shooting for (I still haven't a notion what Daft Punk on Yeezus). He does sound these days like he doesn't have any interest in getting a fully formed song out there.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2018, 10:59:51 AM »
Did he only gut Daytona down to 22 minutes relatively recently then? I'm positive I read that the length was only a very recent thing at the very least.

Yeah, I believe the decision for everything to be 7 tracks was made a couple of months ago, judging by his tweets. But they had been working on that Pusha album, originally titled King Push, for over a year. There's probably another 7 track album to be made out of the cut tracks.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
Kids See Ghosts is wild! You can just tell he spent more time on this one, the production is Kanye's best since Yeezus (on first listen). Again though, too short, wish all these albums were 10 tracks.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2018, 05:40:27 PM »
It's out on streaming services now, but the track listings are currently all messed up. Also, according to the album credits, Kanye didn't produce all of these tracks along. Cudi, Mike Dean, Andre 3000 also have credits.

Z

« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2018, 11:21:11 PM »
I'm a bit terrified of Kids See Ghosts, Kanye and Cudi tend to result in good stuff but his singing is reaching insufferable levels of tone deafness. I was getting the same feelings listening to him on ye that I get when I hear myself singing. I loved Cudi's voice back around 808s too.

Was Lift Yourself meant to be a joke track btw? Cos I've been really liking it, it's a joke version of an actual song surely?

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »
Kids See Ghosts was really dull. Other than Freeee, nothing of interest on there. What a shame, I thought this was going to make up for the underwhelming Ye album. Let's hope he's saved the best til last.

DukeDeMondo

• fuck sake
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
 I'm really enjoying Kids See Ghosts, but it's properly front-loaded (assuming the tracks on Spotify are even in the right order). The first track - 4th Dimension (edit: that might not be the correct title, by the looks of things) - is fucking blinding. Absolute fucking melter. The first half of the album sort of rockets along on the back of that, but then that (ill advised, I think) sequel to Ghost Town appears and the momentum sort of falls out of the thing and it's a bit of a one-note kind of affair from then till the end. Very few surprises in the second half.

That first half, though. Bloody hell.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:05:32 PM by DukeDeMondo »

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2018, 12:19:04 AM »
I'm really enjoying Kids See Ghosts, but it's properly front-loaded (assuming the tracks on Spotify are even in the right order). The first track - 4th Dimension (edit: that might not be the correct title, by the looks of things) - is fucking blinding. Absolute fucking melter. The first half of the album sort of rockets along on the back of that, but then that (ill advised, I think) sequel to Ghost Town appears and the momentum sort of falls out of the thing and it's a bit of a one-note kind of affair from then till the end. Very few surprises in the second half.

That first half, though. Bloody hell.

Not sure I agree with this, as Reborn and Kids See Ghosts are arguably the two best tracks on it. Although, yeah, maybe the production is more interesting at the start of the album. Also, Kanye is rapping like Watch The Throne days on this record. He's on beat and everything.

I've really loved every release so far. Daytona, ye, Kids See Ghost. All on constant rotation. And still Nas and Teyana to come. And it wouldn't surprise me if he had more up his sleeve in the weeks after those.

DukeDeMondo

• fuck sake
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
Not sure I agree with this

You're quite right to disagree. I don't agree with it any more either. Spotify updated the album last night, and now it's a different story altogether. Complete opposite sort of a thing going on now. That incredible melt of an opener that knocked me sideways on the first listen under the name of "4th Dimension" now appears in the second half of the record under the more fitting "Feel The Love." The whole vibe of the album has been altered, and the second half is where the really, really good stuff now resides. "Freeee" makes much more sense now, and functions in a totally different way. So it's still uneven, and one half is still much stronger than the other in my opinion, but it gets steadily more exciting as it progresses now, rather than becoming steadily less interesting.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2018, 11:18:55 PM »
You're quite right to disagree. I don't agree with it any more either. Spotify updated the album last night, and now it's a different story altogether. Complete opposite sort of a thing going on now. That incredible melt of an opener that knocked me sideways on the first listen under the name of "4th Dimension" now appears in the second half of the record under the more fitting "Feel The Love." The whole vibe of the album has been altered, and the second half is where the really, really good stuff now resides. "Freeee" makes much more sense now, and functions in a totally different way. So it's still uneven, and one half is still much stronger than the other in my opinion, but it gets steadily more exciting as it progresses now, rather than becoming steadily less interesting.

I think you might still have the track order muddled up.

Feel The Love is the intro.

It's...

1. Feel The Love
2. Fire
3. 4th Dimension
4. Freeee (Ghost Town Pt 2)
5. Reborn
6. Kids See Ghosts
7. Cudi Montage

Z

« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2018, 12:16:38 AM »
Was so underwhelmed by Kids See Ghosts on first listen that I'm currently blaming it on the earphones I listened to it with.

Cuellar

• Push off my wire
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »
Yeah, Feel The Love is a stunning opener, then it falls off a bit.

kitsofan34

• everybody's clever nowadays
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2018, 07:53:49 PM »
And it wouldn't surprise me if he had more up his sleeve in the weeks after those.

Is there more to this theory of yours, jamoke, or merely a hunch?

alan nagsworth

• nothing like a good feeling
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
Kids See Ghosts is fucking fire, what is wrong with this forum lately? Admittedly the KRRRAKKA-KA-KAH of Feel The Love is an opener that's hard to beat, but that weird ass Christmas song in 4th Dimension when the beat drops, god damn. And Freeee (Ghost Town pt. 2) is just huge. Such an enjoyable record full of odd little flourishes that keep it fresh and special throughout.

Honestly, highly rating all three of these projects so far and finding it hard to single out too may dull moments that would keep me from whamming them on a repeated cycle into my skull for the last two days like I have been.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2018, 08:02:09 PM »
Is the Nas album still going ahead after the allegations from Kelis?

kitsofan34

• everybody's clever nowadays
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
Is the Nas album still going ahead after the allegations from Kelis?

KANYE WEST
‏@kanyewest
Jun 11

Just wanted to say I’m up in the morning working on the Nas album  and I’m so humbled by all the love we’re getting on these albums.   We’re still the kids we used to be.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »
Kanye working on the beats. Nas handing them out.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
Heard both Ye and Kids See Ghosts now, and thought both were surprisingly strong.

Is a bit annoying he didn't flesh them out to full albums though, as despite what he says these are EPs aren't they? 24 minutes ain't no album. Not on my watch

All good stuff so far, though

Z

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »
Ye has grown on me a lot, it's admirably scrappy. Can't help but feel he shat away at least one barnstormer on it though.

Kids See Ghosts still not doing much for me, Kanye on the opening track is fantastic though. BRRRAAGH BRRAH BRR-BRRRUGH-BAAH  BAHH

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
Heard both Ye and Kids See Ghosts now, and thought both were surprisingly strong.

Is a bit annoying he didn't flesh them out to full albums though, as despite what he says these are EPs aren't they? 24 minutes ain't no album. Not on my watch

All good stuff so far, though

Apparently it just needs to be at least 5 songs and 15 minutes to be considered an album for the Grammys consideration.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
Kids See Ghosts is fucking fire, what is wrong with this forum lately? Admittedly the KRRRAKKA-KA-KAH of Feel The Love is an opener that's hard to beat, but that weird ass Christmas song in 4th Dimension when the beat drops, god damn. And Freeee (Ghost Town pt. 2) is just huge. Such an enjoyable record full of odd little flourishes that keep it fresh and special throughout.

Honestly, highly rating all three of these projects so far and finding it hard to single out too may dull moments that would keep me from whamming them on a repeated cycle into my skull for the last two days like I have been.

Ain't nothing wrong with me, I completely agree with you. Kids See Ghost is superb and features Kanye's most interesting production in quite some time. As I said previously, all three records have been on constant rotation here. And for all the talk of Kanye being "cancelled" due to his TMZ antics, Ye debuted at number one in the charts and is his most commercially successful album in years.

I think some of the music critics are way off the mark on these albums too. Pitchfork, for example, spent the majority of both their reviews (for Ye and KSG) discussing West's personality, antics, and Donald Trump, rather than the music itself. I think by the end of the year these albums will be looked back on much more favourably, not just for the accomplishment of releasing five albums (potentially more) in five weeks, but for the actual music and content too (the mental health stuff is especially important given recent events).

Z

« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2018, 06:13:09 PM »
Free is am absolute dog of a song, don't see the appeal at all. I'm pretty close to just removing it from the album cos the rest is pretty good.

Z

« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2018, 10:18:53 PM »
Ye debuted at number one in the charts and is his most commercially successful album in years.
I've been thinking for a while that the most likely direction albums are gonna go for major artists is an annual EP-sized set of very good songs that'll get heavy play as their own bite-sized playlist on streaming sites with the leftover odds and ends thrown out around the year for fans.

I suspect a big part of why Ye has done so well is because it's by far the shortest album most its listeners have probably ever encountered. It's easier to listen to the whole thing than spend time cherry picking which songs you like.
This batch of releases are probably gonna start a big trend of this kind of thing in pop music at the very least.

Shameless Custard

• PAUSE FOR THE JET
    • My RUBBISH
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »
Yeah, that's probably the way things are headed. Sadly the full album seems to be slowly dying out. In pop, at least

Charli XCX now releases her albums as "mixtapes", as the record company won't stick out an album. And a single every so often.

Ja'moke

• Inside Survivor
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2018, 12:29:38 AM »
I've been thinking for a while that the most likely direction albums are gonna go for major artists is an annual EP-sized set of very good songs that'll get heavy play as their own bite-sized playlist on streaming sites with the leftover odds and ends thrown out around the year for fans.

I suspect a big part of why Ye has done so well is because it's by far the shortest album most its listeners have probably ever encountered. It's easier to listen to the whole thing than spend time cherry picking which songs you like.
This batch of releases are probably gonna start a big trend of this kind of thing in pop music at the very least.

Yep, I can see that. And it's kind of surprising how artists are only just starting to catch on. A lot of them were going the opposite way, like Migos, releasing a 24 track album hoping it would bump sales due to the streaming of individual tracks. Yet ye outsold it with only 7 tracks.