Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Space 2

Started by Barry Admin, April 23, 2018, 02:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

How's he opening all these doors when he's in a fucking straitjacket?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Spoon of Ploff

Clever dick doors with motion sensors?

Barry Admin

You have to press a button on the controller which means some form of interaction.

(Do I have to replay and actually finish the first one to appreciate this? It's my first time sitting down trying to play Xbox for three months, and I just want to get out and play PoGo to be honest.)

madhair60

FUCKING LOVE DEAD SPACE

There's exactly one setpiece in DS2 that's improved by having played 1

BeardFaceMan

I'm finding this a bit 'meh' to be honest. Still gonna finish the fucker though. One thing I will say is that the scenes where you get killed are very good.

biggytitbo

Dead Space 2 is ace. The bits in the nursery especially.

Blue Jam

Biggy, why do you like all the same games as me...

After Prey I had put this firmly on the wishlist so I was delighted to see it pop up on Games With Gold. Finding it bastard hard though- right now I can't get past that big thing in the room beyond the vacuum with the stasis machines, the one which stomps you to death before shoving its great big horn down your throat in that needlesly long animated scene. I just can't seem to sprint fast enough, damn Xbox 360 controls... Was starting this on Zealot difficulty a mistake? Nrrrrgghh, can't go back now...

Really enjoying it overall- I'm a sucker for the Spacestation Gone Wrong genre and a few jump scares.

biggytitbo

I just played it on standard difficulty so the big bastard in the room near the beginning wasn't too difficult.

Yes I am a big spacestation gone wrong fan too, alien isolation is another good one. Also, I hear there is some new Prey stuff coming, which is a nice surprise as it was my favourite game last year but thought its muted response might have killed any prospect of new content.

Rolf Lundgren

Love this too. The comforting sky blue glow of the health bars. The swinging your arms and kicking the shit out of boxes. Getting through another room so your heart rate can settle.

They really found the balance between action and story in this one with the right amount of save points in just the right place. I still have nightmares about the drill in the eye thing though.

bgmnts

Its just Event Horizon in space.

Neomod

Looking forward to giving this a go even though i'm not really one for the 'horror' genre.

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 24, 2018, 10:35:00 PM
Yes I am a big spacestation gone wrong fan too

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on April 25, 2018, 12:24:48 AM
The comforting sky blue glow of the health bars.

You may both enjoy Soma then. It's on an abandoned underwater research facility gone wrong rather than a space station gone wrong, but it has the same familiar creepy feel, and a comforting blue glow throughout. It's best played in Wuss Mode Safe Mode though as the story is good but the combat is a bit of a pain in the arse.

I'm stupidly excited about the forthcoming Prey DLC too- I wonder if there will be two flags on that moon...

biggytitbo

I played a bit of Soma but had to give up because it was running so shit on my PC. I do intend to revisit at some point now I have a better one.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: bgmnts on April 25, 2018, 01:13:01 AM
Its just Event Horizon in space.

But not just any kind of space - DEAD space.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 25, 2018, 02:24:44 PM
You may both enjoy Soma then.

That does sound good but I'm still on a PS3 at the minute. One I'll look for in the future.

Blue Jam

I've had a break from this for a while as I'm finding the combat very frustrating. With the bigger bosses and enemies in larger numbers it often feels like I'm just flailing about and hoping for the best. I've just got to the Church of Unitology and I'm struggling to fight off the creepy babies. I've been finding it nicely immersive and wonderfully creepy though- the nursery and the amusement arcade with the creepy music were the best bits so far, and the jump scares are still getting me.

Also, I know they're demon babies trying to kill me, but punching a load of babies still feels a bit wrong.

biggytitbo

There's a bit win Dead Space 2 where you get trapped in a long tall room with a wave of enemies and I accidently ended up there with no ammo so had to spend hours trying to improvise something by throwing  bits of shit lying around, then picking up the limbs and using those as weapons. Was a lot of fun in a sort of unfun way.

Neomod

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 04, 2018, 04:00:43 PM
I've had a break from this for a while as I'm finding the combat very frustrating. With the bigger bosses and enemies in larger numbers it often feels like I'm just flailing about and hoping for the best. I've just got to the Church of Unitology and I'm struggling to fight off the creepy babies. I've been finding it nicely immersive and wonderfully creepy though- the nursery and the amusement arcade with the creepy music were the best bits so far, and the jump scares are still getting me.

Also, I know they're demon babies trying to kill me, but punching a load of babies still feels a bit wrong.

I got to this bit last night, the little shits.

I'm upgrading the plasma cutter above all else so far (i have the line and javelin gun also). Is this a good idea early in the game?

biggytitbo

I always concentrate on upgrading one weapon and the suit. None of the other weapons are as good as the plasma cutter imo.

Blue Jam

Dead Space 3 on Games With Gold in a few days:

https://majornelson.com/2018/07/26/xbox-live-games-with-gold-for-august-2018/

Please tell me the boss fights are gone...

I'm too much of a wimp for these games but some great Cane and Rinse episodes on them.

bgmnts

Completed Dead Space finally after 8 years so am looking to completr Drad Space 2 soon

Hecate

Quit while you're ahead, I'd say, the first one is brilliant but dead space 2 isn't really worth playing and dead space 3 doesn't exist.

madhair60

They're all brilliant

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Neomod on May 04, 2018, 06:50:35 PM
I'm upgrading the plasma cutter above all else so far (i have the line and javelin gun also). Is this a good idea early in the game?

Always upgrade the Plasma Cutter first, it's the only weapon ideal for a wide variety of situations & you could probably win the game using nothing else.

biggytitbo

Dead Space 2 is the best one and 3 is unfairly maligned because of all the micro transaction stuff which is so easy to ignore I wasn't even aware of it until after I'd completed the game.

Pete23

I thought Dead Space 3 was OK in single player, but it's one of the best co-op games I ever played (playing with someone lovely and / or drunk obviously helps).

Neomod

Quote from: Avril Lavigne on July 26, 2018, 10:58:28 PM
Always upgrade the Plasma Cutter first, it's the only weapon ideal for a wide variety of situations & you could probably win the game using nothing else.

Yeah i'm upgrading the Plasma Cutter and the rig. Bought and then stowed the Ripper as it didn't seem useful. I've now read it's really good so might give it another try.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Neomod on July 29, 2018, 06:13:43 PM
Yeah i'm upgrading the Plasma Cutter and the rig. Bought and then stowed the Ripper as it didn't seem useful. I've now read it's really good so might give it another try.

I mostly used the Cutter and the Line Gun, I can't remember anything else being particularly useful.