Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Proper old-school FPS titles

Started by madhair60, April 24, 2018, 12:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I'm quite surprised to see the (relatively speaking) dismissal of HL2 here. Chuffing marvelous game, I thought, and still plays smoothly today.

Lemming

Quote from: madhair60 on May 03, 2018, 09:57:57 AM
I'm misremembering Half-Life then.

I think I got to a bit where you ride a platform for a thousand hours.

I feel like a Half-Life 1 evangelist in recent years since the backlash seems to have started, but the first Half-Life really is great. The rail part, which is the part you mention, is probably the weakest section of the game but they do throw plenty of side-areas your way for you to stop the train and explore. And as Bhazor said, the enemy variety is great and the devs clearly thought a lot about making the enemies feel unique and giving you different ways to approach each encounter.

Not sure if this is a popular opinion, but as the game is only about 2-3 hours long if you know where you're going and don't die too much, and only a couple hours longer than that even if you don't know where you're going, I think it's best played in one sitting over the course of one night, so you can appreciate the gradual scale with which the tension and action progresses.

I'm going to join in the dismissal of HL2, though, sorry Famous Mortimer :(

Ferris

I'm going to restate Unreal Tournament, and throw Perfect Dark into the mix. Then add my favourite game, TimeSplitters 2 which was old school but also fun and cleverly done.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Perfect Dark? Clunky controls aside, I think of that as fairly modern.

Bhazor

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 03, 2018, 10:31:50 PM
I'm going to restate Unreal Tournament

I was a Unreal Tournament guy at the time of release but I went back to it recently (after being disappointed by the new Unreal Tournament) and it doesn't hold a candle to Quake 3. Learning the rhythm of rocket boosting is one of the most satisfying things in gaming. The new Quake seems to be trying to recapture the old ways and fingers crossed it gets a decent audience this time and doesn't die from neglect like Unreal Tournament did.

Rocket jump tutorial for new Quake. I hope the next Doom plays like this. Doom 2016 with this movement would be killer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8_LKNaxl8

Ferris

Oh yeah fucking hell Quake was good. I've not played them since I was very small, but exploding baddies to bits was a formative part of my childhood.

Jerzy Bondov

That big swimming monster in Half-Life is still the scariest thing in games to me. Absolutely horrible beast. I remember playing through They Hunger, a zombie mod, which inexplicably has the big toothy fish as an enemy. I was confidently plunging into water in that, sure that they wouldn't use that enemy as it didn't fit the zombie theme, and yet there it fucking was, zooming at me, roaring. FUCK. THAT.

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 03, 2018, 10:31:50 PM
I'm going to restate Unreal Tournament, and throw Perfect Dark into the mix. Then add my favourite game, TimeSplitters 2 which was old school but also fun and cleverly done.

Unreal Tournament was great - that map that was just two towers connect by thin strips of rock, all floating in space. Firing nukes at each other from the towers, knocking everyone into the abyss.

ASFTSN

Well well well.  There's a NEW game out using the Build Engine.

Ion Maiden

ASFTSN

Quote from: Cuellar on May 04, 2018, 10:18:41 AM
Unreal Tournament was great - that map that was just two towers connect by thin strips of rock, all floating in space. Firing nukes at each other from the towers, knocking everyone into the abyss.

Massive nostalgia dose there.  M-M-M-MONSTER KILL.

AsparagusTrevor

I'd love to see a Build-engine style game but with HD graphics, still using 2D sprites and ray-caster maps but all high-res and fancy. Does such a thing exist in this day and age?

Bhazor

The thing I miss most from sprite and early 3D shooters is scripted deaths. Rag dolls look so bad and glitch like mad. I want a return to those gory death throes.

Doom 2016 did try to bring it back but it also committed the unforgivable sin of removing bodies. Completely undermining it's otherwise amazing gore and glory kills.

ASFTSN

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on May 04, 2018, 04:19:57 PM
I'd love to see a Build-engine style game but with HD graphics, still using 2D sprites and ray-caster maps but all high-res and fancy. Does such a thing exist in this day and age?

Look two posts up from yours.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Bhazor on May 04, 2018, 04:46:18 PM
The thing I miss most from sprite and early 3D shooters is scripted deaths. Rag dolls look so bad and glitch like mad. I want a return to those gory death throes.

Doom 2016 did try to bring it back but it also committed the unforgivable sin of removing bodies. Completely undermining it's otherwise amazing gore and glory kills.
I've long held a similar opinion. Until recently at least, polygon graphics just didn't have the level of detail for all the guts and gore. I remember a friend of mine had one of the iterations of Unreal Tournament that, when you scored a headshot, would go into a slow motion view of the target - which let you see that the decapitation was animated by just shrinking the head into the neck.

Another good example is killing someone with a plasma weapon in the fallout games. In the originals you'd get an hilariously over the top animation of their flesh melting and skeleton collapsing into a pile of goo. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas, all that happens is the character mesh is rendered invisible and replaced with a little glowing mound, that doesn't even have any bones sticking out. I don't know if Fallout 4 has changed this at all.

I guess for me (who was solely a console gamer until around 2002) there was always a forbidden fruit aspect to this sort of thing. As a kid, I'd spend ages in Electronics Boutique, looking at the screenshots on the back of the gigantic PC game boxes and my imagination would run riot

Lemming

Horrific Fallout animation compilation incoming:

Can't find a gif of it online, but the death animation for the Mancubus from DooM II (where its head explodes and then all its flesh peels away from the skeleton) used to make me feel ridiculously guilty, because it's horrific. Same for the Pinky Demon one because I always thought the Pinky Demon was kind of cute.

I like a lot of the death animations from the pre-ragdoll 3D era, where the enemies have ridiculous over-the-top Dying Swan routines and you sink half a clip of ammo into them before you realise they're already dead. Quake 2 had some great ones, including the extremely irritating one where the SMG-wielding and chaingun-arm enemies would fire wildly while collapsing to the ground, inexplicably hitting you perfectly in the face with every other shot.

Turok 2 also had this fucking thing, which produces the most cartoonish yet disturbing death animations in any 3D FPS.

Bhazor

I remember Golden Eye having great over dramatic death animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wq1vW0DFMU

Beagle 2

Anybody played Immortal Redneck? It looks like some good, old-school FPS action, but a rogue-like? Give me a campaign you shits. £18 on Switch, want to play but it seems pricey.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Beagle 2 on May 20, 2018, 08:47:28 PM
Anybody played Immortal Redneck?

No.

I've played Redneck Rampage though.

This has nothing to do with anything.

Sorry.

madhair60

Norton Canes

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 04, 2018, 09:13:49 AM
That big swimming monster in Half-Life is still the scariest thing in games to me. Absolutely horrible beast

Do you mean in one of the final Xen levels where it's basically a huge lake with a few islands? While I was playing that the big shark thing actually came out of the water and started writhing around on one of the islands, it properly gave me a scare.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Lemming on May 03, 2018, 06:46:38 PMThe rail part... is probably the weakest section of the game

Apart from all of Xen :)

There's a bit in one of the Black Mesa factories when you have to follow a ridiculous series of conveyor belts around, that's pretty shit. As are any of the platforming sections.

Lemming

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 21, 2018, 11:20:57 AM
Apart from all of Xen :)

Oh, yeah, forgot about Xen. The introduction level is actually not bad, but as soon as you reach the Vortigaunt slave factory it completely sucks balls until the end credits.

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 21, 2018, 11:20:57 AMThere's a bit in one of the Black Mesa factories when you have to follow a ridiculous series of conveyor belts around, that's pretty shit. As are any of the platforming sections.

I love that part. You're thinking of Residue Processing, which has the sickest music this side of Deus Ex, and also forces you to avoid crusher doors while the walls shoot fire at you and a conveyor belt pulls you into trip-mines, which is hilarious.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 21, 2018, 11:19:09 AM
Do you mean in one of the final Xen levels where it's basically a huge lake with a few islands?

I'm fairly sure that @Jerzy Bondov is referring to the monstrous beast in the water tank, within the Black Mesa facility.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah I am. He's in the tank with the cage where you get the crossbow, and there's at least one at the dam. I think there is one on Xen though, in one of the places you can get teleported to by the final boss.

I made a custom map where one of those was in a tank in the corner of the room. I didn't do it properly so it got out and started zooming around on the floor. Scared the absolute shit out of me.

New Jack

I still fire up Quakes 1 & 2 for a blast occasionally. Quake was my first PC game, and I think the aesthetics have aged pleasantly enough.

If anyone is arsed to dive back in, I use a couple of source ports.

DarkPlaces for Quake lets you use particles n shit and fancy new lighting. There's texture packs and that, but most of all I like playing it in a proper resolution. And it lets you load other mods, EG bots for deathmatch!

And Quake 2 has the unimaginatively monikered Quake2XP which is very similar, fancy lighting n that.

I also miss Kingpin deathmatch.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: New Jack on May 22, 2018, 10:01:31 AM
I still fire up Quakes 1 & 2 for a blast occasionally. Quake was my first PC game, and I think the aesthetics have aged pleasantly enough.

If anyone is arsed to dive back in, I use a couple of source ports.

DarkPlaces for Quake lets you use particles n shit and fancy new lighting. There's texture packs and that, but most of all I like playing it in a proper resolution. And it lets you load other mods, EG bots for deathmatch!

And Quake 2 has the unimaginatively monikered Quake2XP which is very similar, fancy lighting n that.

I also miss Kingpin deathmatch.

The Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake is a must-play. Fantastic levels, new enemies, changes the shotgun from hitscan to projectiles.

Bhazor

John Romero just released a bunch of art from the original Doom.

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/12/11/john-romero-releases-motherload-unseen-doom-art

Its always fun to see the original clay models.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Bhazor on May 28, 2018, 01:07:03 AM

ITV in literal digging up of long forgotten celebrities for Dancing on Ice shocker!

Bhazor