Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:43:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The domesticgoddess kitchen

Started by domesticgoddess, January 29, 2005, 03:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello.  And welcome to The domesticgoddess kitchen

Well, the cookie monster thread died a sad and lonely death.  I like ot think it went the same way as Henry VIII or Elvis, so stuffed full of glorious food that it could carry on no longer.

In it's place, I am opening up my kitchen to all you lucky 'whores, and will reveal the domestic delights that have been created there each week.  You will have the chance to read user-reviews (supplied by qki and Bogey), or to post your own reviews if you've tried a recipe.  You will be able to vote on a selection of upcoming recipes and tell me what to make next.  You will find out about all my favourite foodie shopping haunts, and be kept up-to-date with any other domesticgoddess related news.

To kick things off, why not try the oriental inspired feast I cooked for qki and Bogey last night.  Bogey has a hilarious tale to tell about getting lost in Sevenoaks, resulting in him being about three hours late, but he did bring a nice bottle of rioja so all was well!

Caramel chicken
8 chicken thigh fillets, skinless, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
1 red onion, sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
freshly ground black pepper
60ml (1/4 cup) dark soy sauce
115g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
60 ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce

Toss the chicken and oil together in a bowl.  Heat a large frying pan and lightly brown the chicken on all sides (it doesn't need to cook through at this stage).  Don't overload the pan – you will probably need to do this in a couple of batches so that the meat fries, rather than stewing.  Remove the chicken from the pan.  Reduce the heat and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, adding a little more oil if necessary.  Return the chicken to the pan and grind over lots of black pepper.  Add the soy sauce, give everything a quick stir, then cover the pan and leave it to cook on a low heat for 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  After the 10 minutes is up, increase the heat and add the sugar.  Stir well until the sugar is all dissolved.  Cook uncovered for 3-4 minutes on a high heat.  The sauce will bubble up – this is good as you want it to reduce and become all dark and syrupy.  Finally add the fish sauce and stir well.
Eat this with plain steamed rice and a selection of lightly cooked green vegetables - I like mangetout and broccoli.

Hot and tangy minced lamb
450g lean minced lamb
1 tbsp groundnut oil
3 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tbsp chopped fresh root ginger
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tbsp tahini or peanut butter
1 ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp caster sugar
1 tbsp rice wine

Heat a large wok or frying pan until smoking.  Keeping the heat really high add the oil and lamb, breaking the mince up as you stir-fry it.  Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger.  Cook for another minute then add all the other ingredients (I find it useful to mix them all together into a paste before you begin cooking), mix them in thoroughly and cook for another 4 minutes.  Serve it on a big plate with lettuce leaves.  To eat, wrap a spoonful of the mince in a lettuce leaf and add some spring onions, radish or chopped cashew nuts – or whatever you like.

Drinks-wise, a good chinese, thai or japanese lager works nicely, and I can certainly recommend a dry riesling for the wine lovers.  I'm not sure red would work so well with this, but if that's what you want to drink a pinot noir style would be better that anything too heavy.

Coming up next - the very best plce to buy your spices.  And especially for butnut, who's been wanting to get his hands on my muffins for a while now, the recipe for the legendary CaB-meet mini carot-cakes.

Join me next time in The domesticgoddess kitchen.

PeachSmints

Quote from: "domesticgoddess"

Coming up next  [...] the recipe for the legendary CaB-meet mini carot-cakes.
Oh thank God! Those were most tasty. And I only know how to bake anyways.

butnut

Quote from: "domesticgoddess"And especially for butnut, who's been wanting to get his hands on my muffins for a while now, the recipe for the legendary CaB-meet mini carot-cakes.

Your words - not mine.

One day, when I'm feeling flash I'll try those, DG. And the recipies, ha ha ha.

Gazeuse

qki

In this house, we don't do the V-word.

DonkeyRhubarb

Quote from: "Gazeuse"Got any vegan gear???

A carrot and some lettuce with a side dollop of self-righteousness.

Suttonpubcrawl

On the subject of food, could anyone recommend good extra virgin olive oil? I don't want to pay silly money for it, but I am prepared to pay a reasonable amount of money for good quality.

Quote from: "Suttonpubcrawl"On the subject of food, could anyone recommend good extra virgin olive oil? I don't want to pay silly money for it, but I am prepared to pay a reasonable amount of money for good quality.

Well, there's a huge snobbishness about olive oil.  I buy mine from the supermarket - there's normally a pretty large range including some decent stuff.  As far as brands go I think that Filippo Berio Extra Virgin is pretty decent.

It depends on what you want the oil for.  If it's for cooking you don't need the absolute finest, single-estate, extra virgin oil.  If it's for salads, dressings etc you probably want somethng a bit better.

If you're not going to go for a supermarket variety you could try these mail-order places:
http://www.serendipityolives.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.oliveoil4u.co.uk/index.htm

Or, if you want to try a variety of oils from around Europe to find your favourite try the wonderfully named http://www.getoily.com/ who do a tasting pack of six oils for £34.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "DonkeyRhubarb"a side dollop of self-righteousness.

Isn't that dairy???

OK folks.  Get those baking tins at the ready, prepare your whisks, and stick the oven on to heat up.  Here come my carrot cupcakes with lime frosting.

OK, so they might actually be the original Domestc Goddess's, but it's a homage, OK?

100g light muscovado sugar
175ml groundnut oil
2 large free range eggs
225g plain flour
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
zest of half a lemon (unwaxed)
zest of half an orange (unwaxed)
150g grated carrot (approximately 2 medium-large carrots)
100g pecan nuts, finely chopped

Firstly, remember this is baking folks, so you need to weigh and measure everything accurately.  Preheat the oven to 200°c, and line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin cases.

Crumble the sugar through your finges to remove any lumps.  Beat the sugar and oil together, the add the eggs one at a time and lightly mix until just combined.  Don't over-beat.  Add the flour (sifted), bicarb, salt, cinamon and citrus zests, then fold in the grated carrot and nuts.  It's up to you how fine you grate the carrot and chop the nuts.  I like mine done as small as possible, as it seems to make the cakes lighter. Spoon the mixture evenly into the mufin cases and bake for 20 minutes.  Check them at 15 minutes - if a skewer comes out clean they are ready.

Cool the muffins on a rack and make the frosting.  This is simple.  Beat 125g cream cheese in a bowl until t's smooth and softened, then beat in 250g sifted icing sugar.  Add 2-3tsp freshly squeezed lime juice and smear liberally over your muffins.  To decorate, place a pecan nut on top of each cake.  Eat warm from the oven with a nice cup of tea, and the Ben Folds Five on the stereo.

Good evening.  Tonight's installment of The domesticgoddess kitchen will bring you a simple but elegant ultimate comfort food dish.  If you need a bit of cheering up just cook up a big pan of this lemon risotto with garlic chilli prawns.

1.5 litres (6 cups) hot chicken stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small brown onion, finely diced
1 tsp salt
50g butter
330g (1 1/2 cups) arborio (risotto) rice
zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon

2 red chillies, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
20 large prawns (preferably uncooked)
chopped flat leaf parsley

Warm the stock in a saucepan and keep at a gentle simmer.
Heat a large saute pan and add half of the butter with the onions, olive oil and salt.  Fry gently for a couple of minutes, then add the rice and stir until well coated.  Gradually add the hot stock, a cupful at a time, stirring constantly and making sure all the stock is absorbed before ading any more.  This should take about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the rest of the butter, lemon zest, lemon jice and pepper to taste.  You might like to add a handful of parmesan cheese.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oli in a frying pan.  Toss the prawns with salt and pepper and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the chilli and garlic and coking for a further minute.  Mix in a large handful of chopped flat-leaf parsley.

Serve the risotto in warm bowls with the prawns piled on top and a chilled glass of white wine.  For extra comfort factor, add your favourite comedy programme.  Or Dirty Dancing if you're me.

DonkeyRhubarb

Any good ideas for lamb? Springs coming up and I love a bit of spring lamb.

EDIT: Just saw the lamb recipe sorry, but still some ideas for a nice spring lamb dish would be good.

Timmay

All sounds lovely so far. If I may request something, I'm on the lookout for a nice tried and tested chocolate cheesecake recipe - and not a white chocolate recipe, as that's all I can find on the internet so far. Thank you.

falafel

Risotto is my favouritest, and that one sounds marvellous. Nice thread.

Quote from: "DonkeyRhubarb"Any good ideas for lamb? Springs coming up and I love a bit of spring lamb.

Hi there - I have a few recipes which I've been meaning to try out.  I've added a poll so people can vote for their favourite, and I'll cook it in the next two weeks - recipe to follow after thorough taste testing and approval!

The marinated lamb cutlets with ginger tomato sauce is a lovely sounding fresh dish, with mild indian undertones (cumin, coriander) and a fragrant tomato sauce on the side.

The lamb with saffron rice is a tandoori-style yoghurt marinaded lamb served with almond-spiked saffron rice.

The italian griddled lamb is a combination of rosemary and garlic with griddle-seared pink lamb.

The tuscan-style lamb casserole is a heartier dish of lamb and cannelini beans in a warming vegetable sauce.

Vote now and choose qki's dinner!

falafel

butnut

Good evening.  Yesterday, The domesticgoddess kitchen took a break and enjoyed some of the best fish and chips in London.  Mmmmmmm - mushy peas are the best!

Tonight, however, the kitchen was back in full swing with pork with cashews, lime and mint.  This dish is a citrus-hot, refreshing and sour stir-fry.  It's dry with very little sauce, so if you must have your gravy this one's not for you.

400g pork stir-fry
3 tbsp groundnut oil
90g unsalted cashew nuts, chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlice, finely chopped
a 4cm knob of ginger, finely shredded
3 red chillies, finely chopped
zest and juice of 3 limes
2 tbsp fish sauce
a handful of chopped mint leaves
a handful of basil leaves, torn into shreds

Heat a wok or large frying pan over a high heat until smoking.  Add the oil and pork and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occassionally, until golden brown.  Once the meat is browned remove it from the pan and set aside.  Bring the pan back to a high heat and add the spring onions, garlic, ginger and chillies, and fry for a minute or two.  Add the chopped nuts, stir-fry for another minute or two then return the meat to the pan.  Stir in the lime zest, juice and fish sauce and stir through the herbs.  Serve with rice or noodles and a very cold beer.

Happy eating!

butnut

That's better, DG. A dish that's nearer my cooking levels. None of this baking bollocks. I have about 3 variants of that a week, although without the pork and the cold beer.

Quote from: "butnut"That's better, DG. A dish that's nearer my cooking levels.
Always happy to please!  

Quote from: "butnut"None of this baking bollocks.
???????  
I'd try it, but they're quite difficult to come by ;-)

Timmay

fanny splendid

Can you not adapt something from here?

Like leave off the fig crust?

butnut

Quote from: "butnut"]None of this baking bollocks.
???????  
I'd try it, but they're quite difficult to come by ;-)

Red Lentil Balls And vegan too, Gazeuse.

MojoJojo

Caramel chicken
8 chicken thigh fillets, skinless, chopped into bite-size pieces
1 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
1 red onion, sliced thinly
3 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
freshly ground black pepper
60ml (1/4 cup) dark soy sauce
115g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
60 ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce

Dear domesticgoddess,

I tried your Caramel Chicken recipe last night, thinking that if Bill Granger liked it enough to copy it, it had to be worth trying. Everything was going wonderfully, with a delicious syrupy sauce. Then I added the fish sauce, which
A) destroyed the lovely syrupiness of the sauce. What's the point in reducing stuff if you're going to add liquid at the end?
B) Made everything incredible salty. Look at the recipe, all the liquid comes is soy sauce or fish sauce, it's hardly surprising it's salty.

I am confused, I followed the recipe, and I can't see how it wouldn't lead to something overly salty. Where did I go wrong?

Yours, using sauce to de-ice the windscreenly,
MojoJojo

Dear MojoJojo

I'm glad you tried the recipe.  It is indeed a Bill Granger original - I've never claimed these recipes are my own, although I have fiddled with most of them to make them a bit different to suit my own tastes.  The service I am providing is to take my favourite recipes and share them with you, or to try new things and share the results.  Think of me as a dog-eared scrapbook with cut-outs of all the best recipes from hundreds of books.  I don't know about you, but there are normally only a few recipes that I end up using regularly from each book I buy.  To save you all the money I'm sharing my favourites, with some originals thrown in along the way.

Your complaint seems easy to fix.  If you don't like things too salty then miss out the fish sauce next time.  If you are going to do this I would add a touch of lime or lemon juice to help take away some of the sweetness from the sugar.  Experiment and see what works for you.  That's the joy of cooking - you don't have to follow the recipe exactly, but you can adapt it to your own tastes.  
Or you could try leaving the fish sauce in and reducing the sauce again after you've added it to keep the sauce really sticky.
Also, I don't think that you're meant to have loads of sauce with the dish.  In large quantities it is overpowering.  A spoonful or two at most is probably enough - for me anyway.  And more than that makes even the stickiest rice impossible to eat with chopsticks!

Hope this answers your query.  Thanks for providing my first review - I hope you find something you like better next time!

Cheerio,
DG

Gazeuse

Quote from: "butnut"Red Lentil Balls.

And the same to you!!!

That looks tasty Butnut...Ta!!! There's a fantastic restaurant called Sofra in St. Christophers Place near Selfridges which does delicious Lentil Kofte which look like something similar. Yum!!!

falafel

I've only ever put - at most - a *tablespoon* of fish sauce in anything in which I've seen fit to use it... a quarter of a cup would likely make me feel a bit queasy too.  That recipe, in fact, looks remarkably similar to the way I make caramelised red onion (which I usually serve with grilled chicken anyway), and I assure you, MojoJojo, that with a little less of the salty stuff (I wouldn't completely get rid of it) it'll be lurvely.

I love cooking threads, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Indian lamb + saffron rice win through ('cause it has to, cause it's got to be the yummiest) so I can copy it.

MojoJojo

Yeah, I realise that the solution to saltiness problem is probably to not put as much salty stuff in. I was more wondering whether the recipe ever worked. And I should say, dg, that the recipe did seem like a very good one up until that last bit and I almost certainly will try it again next week (except I will change 1/4 cup to "to taste"). It was easy and very flavoursome. Think a pinch of ginger in it might be nice too.

butnut

I'm really risking the wrath of DM's rolling pin here, but I was inspired by a comment Fanny made about dog recipes in another thread, so I did a little internet search for disgusting recipes. Here's a list of them:

http://bertc.com/recipes.htm

My favourites:

QuoteCow  Udder Eclairs

12 fresh lean cow udders
1 pint of whipping cream
1 cup of brown sugar
1 can artichoke hearts
1 stick butter
1 small filleted smelt
1 container of Nair

Soak the cow udders in Nair to remove the hair.  Repeat several times if
necessary until all hair is removed.  Rinse in warm water.  Place a  stick of
butter into a warm frying pan.  Wait until all of the butter has melted,
then add the cow udders.  Fry them for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Chop the artichoke hearts and smelt on a cutting board into fine pieces.   In
a large bowl, add the whipping cream, brown sugar and the chopped artichokes
and smelt.  With a mixer on low, whip until creamy with a consistency like vanilla pudding. 
Remove the udders from the pan and make a long slice  down
the side of each udder.  Spread the pudding mixture into each slit.   Serve
warm or cold and have an "Udderly Wonderful" snack.

QuoteSpider Salad

Steam your spiders live, as this is a safe method of both asphyxiating them and keeping  them crisp and fresh. You'll want to chop the legs off the larger spiders and quarter  them. Prepare a bed of romaine lettuce, parsley, Portobello mushrooms in season (chopped),  radishes, and scallions. Toss in approximately 1 cup chopped spiders, much as you would in  a seafood salad, then a generous amount of olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and fresh  ground pepper. Bon appetit!

And here's one for the next meet:

QuoteStuffed Camel

1 whole camel, medium size 
1 whole lamb, large size
20 whole chickens, medium size
60 eggs
12 kilos rice
2 kilos pine nuts
2 kilos almonds
1 kilo pistachio nuts
110 gallons water
5 pounds black pepper
Salt to taste

Skin, trim and clean camel (once you get over the hump), lamb and chicken. Boil until  tender. Cook rice until fluffy. Fry nuts until brown and mix with rice. Hard boil eggs and  peel. Stuff cooked chickens with hard boiled eggs and rice. Stuff the cooked lamb with  stuffed chickens. Add more rice. Stuff the camel with the stuffed lamb and add rest of  rice. Broil over large charcoal pit until brown. Spread any remaining rice on large tray  and place camel on top of rice. Decorate with boiled eggs and nuts. Serves friendly crowd  of 80-100.

What the hell do you boil the camel in? A large Jacuzzi?

I really hope I don't ruin your thread DM. Be kind to me.

burpmitosis

Where's the dog recipe then?

I wonder if there are different strengths of fish sauce... like with soy sauce.  That could be why it seemed so much to one person and not another.

Also, can other people post recipes here?  Or would that be intruding.