Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The domesticgoddess kitchen

Started by domesticgoddess, January 29, 2005, 03:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Brezhnev

Quote from: "Lady Beaner"*drools*  Fucking hell, that looks great!

At this rate, when it comes to the 'London Mini Meet 'I will be a square ton in weight after attacking all of these recipes!
Perhaps we should all bring a cake or a salad with us. Or nibblage.

Lady Beaner

Quote from: "domesticgoddess"he he Lady Beaner - thanks for the pics.   qki looks pretty stuffed after his dinner too!  
I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe.  What were you serving with the chicken - it looked like roast potatoes and some kind of salad?  Looked good, whatever it was![/b]

I diced a couple of potatoes, par boiled them, and threw them in a roasting tin with olive oil and put some herbs and stuff on them - a slightly mediterranean taste!

Hello all.  Sorry for the break in service over the last few days, but I've been ill.  This got me wondering, what do other people want to eat when they are poorly?

The first thing I always feel like eating when I can eat again is Heinz cream of tomato soup with some toasted sliced white bread.  Over the nest day or two it changes to beans on toast, or cheese on toast (remind me to give you my best ever method for this - you'll never eat it any other way) - in other word, things that can easily be eaten tucked up in bed or on the sofa.  Then it's on to stuff like macaroni cheese or spaghetti bolognese, or mashed potato.  Proper feel-good food.  But that's normally after a couple of days.

So what's your favourite get-better-soon food?

Gazeuse

Melon...Always has been, since I was a nipper.

TraceyQ

Chicken noodle soup (usually the packet sort 'cos it makes *pints*) with either encona chilli sauce or thinly sliced red chilli in it and lots and lots of peppermint tea. Once I start to feel a little better, a huge chicken jalfrezi with chapatis. Chillis cure all ills.

Actually, I've managed to avoid this years cold and 'flu thing so far (bar the tiny cold sore I woke up with this morning)  by drinking lots of cranberry and echinacea tea. I think. Dont quote me on this when I'm suffering next week. Bound to happen as I'm taking it off as a week's holiday.

zozman

Home made things only when I'm ill if you please.

I'm talking rice pudding, hotpots, casseroles, stews, meat pies, shepherds pie, corn beef hash (with dumplings of course) and quite liderally, gallon upon gallon of sweet tea and dunky biscuits.  Lots of nice white bread too.

I've got recipes for all the above if you want, although I'm sure that kindly asking our hostess or banging them into google will suffice.

ps - Tomato soup?  Are you quite mad?  (no offence like....)
pps - can you question someone's sanity in a non-offensive manner?  hmm.

Quote from: "Gazeuse"Melon...Always has been, since I was a nipper.

God, I bet you actually enjoy bracing eight hour walks in the pouring rain as well.

Frinky

Quote from: "zozman"Home made things only when I'm ill if you please..

Yes, they are good.  But only if someone else can make them for you.  If you're up to making a home-made corned beef hash, you're not really ill now are you?

zozman

I'm a man (I'm a zozman) and it's therefore the law for any woman in the vicinity to make me tasty home-cooked food when I'm ill.

Gazeuse

Quote from: "domesticgoddess"
Quote from: "Gazeuse"Melon...Always has been, since I was a nipper.

God, I bet you actually enjoy bracing eight hour walks in the pouring rain as well.

No...hehe. It goes back to when I was a nipper and had my tonsils out. The lovely cooling feeling on my throat was lovely, so I suppose I associate it with getting better.

My Nan used to make 'poorly boy sandwiches' which were marmalade sandwiches cut into tiny squares.

Mmm...Nearly tea-time!!!

Quote from: "Gazeuse"No...hehe. It goes back to when I was a nipper and had my tonsils out. The lovely cooling feeling on my throat was lovely, so I suppose I associate it with getting better.
Tonsils out is horrible.  Did they make you eat a packet of crisps before they let you home?  I remember asking my dad for quavers 'cos you can melt them before swallowing, but he got hula hoops instead.  Can you imagine?  All I remember is not being able to open my mouth wide enough to clean my teeth and saving up all my saliva for about five mintes and spitting it out in the toilet so I didn't have to swallow.

Quote from: "Gazeuse"My Nan used to make 'poorly boy sandwiches' which were marmalade sandwiches cut into tiny squares.
My dad used to make bread and milk, which was white bread cut into cubes, sprinkled with sugar then covered with milk and microwaved until hot and sloppy.  It was, incredibly, actually pretty good.

Gazeuse

Yes, I had bread and milk too!!! (Although they hadn't invented microwaves then).

I don't remember a lot about having my tonsils out because it was (Bloody hell!!!) about 40 years ago. They just used to whip them and your adenoids out as a matter of course then.

I do remember that I really liked the mouthwash they gave you afterwards.

You've made me feel old now, you ratbag!!!

mayer

My favourite hangover food (which, as a young healthy strapping lad, "get well food" often correllates with), is Spaghetti Hoops.

Always makes me feel 110% better.

falafel

MojoJojo

Quote from: "domesticgoddess"
400g pork stir-fry
3 tbsp groundnut oil
90g unsalted cashew nuts, chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlice, finely chopped
a 4cm knob of ginger, finely shredded
3 red chillies, finely chopped
zest and juice of 3 limes
2 tbsp fish sauce
a handful of chopped mint leaves
a handful of basil leaves, torn into shreds

OK, tried this tonight... I seem to be rubbish at these recipes. Was very very limey. Cashews somewhat wasted. Recipe somewhat saved by sprinkling sugar on, which made it edible.  But I think my limes must be far more imey than yours.

Suttonpubcrawl

For me it has to be lucozade, not a food as such but it's my choice, so there! My mum and dad always used to buy it for me when I was ill, presumably because it's got a lot of glucose in it so that you can get energy fast and effectively when you don't feel like eating anything. I also really like the taste of it anyway, so any excuse to buy a couple of litres of the stuff will do!

Quote from: "MojoJojo"Too limey

Oh dear, you don't seem to be having much success!  Yes, this is very limey, although the title "Pork with cashews, lime and mint" might be a bit of a give-away!
Personally, I love the really sharp and sour taste of this stir-fry, and find the lime (and mint) really refreshing and tangy.  But I concede it's not for everyone.  You could always use less lime, although I'm inclined to say that as that's one of the main points of this dish you should find a different stir-fry recipe that you like better.  It might be nice to try this with no (or less) lime, but lots of ginger?

Still, as a reward for your efforts, perhaps you would like to suggest a dish you would like a recipe for?  Or tell me your favourite ingredient and favourite style of cooking (e.g. chicken, lebanese) and I'll come up with something?

gazzyk1ns

Not a comment on anything other than my own personal taste, but I can't stand bloody nuts in a stir-fry! It's the texture of the mouthfulls I don't like, you've got lovely soft noodles and/or rice, and all that veg... even any chicken/beef/pork is quite forgiving. But then oh no, there's a bloody nut! Not to my liking at all.

Frinky

I despise all nuts with a passion, but will make the exception for cashews in a stirfry or curry. Once they absorb the juices, they go quite nice.

MojoJojo

It wasn't just a bit too limey... my house mate started coughing on the first bite. It was very, very limey ...I cooked this for my 3 housemates, and they all thought it was far too limey. Couldn't taste anything past the lime. I think my limes must be different to yours.

The zest of 3 limes seemed like an awful lot, around a cupfull in the end.

Anyway, to make up for the second week of bad food, I made pancakes for my housemates. Quick thrown together filling:

Two mars bars melted in quarter  of a pint of milk. The milk is just so you don't have to faff around melting the chocolate with boiling water and bowls etc...

Ice cream.

Sliced banana.

Banana  Split  Pancakes! Yummy!

gazzyk1ns

I did home ec. at school (it was called "Technology:Food" by then...) and I learned but subsequently forgot the scientific term which means "mouth feel", can anyone remind me?

I can only remember "coagulation", which means the solidification of a liquid to any degree (i.e. it doesn't have to fully become a solid), use it next time you're cooking eggs to impress.

Frinky

Quote from: "domesticgoddess"Or tell me your favourite ingredient and favourite style of cooking (e.g. chicken, lebanese) and I'll come up with something?

Rapidly, you are becoming my favourite in the qki/dg dynamic duo.

OK folks, time for a new poll.  This week's theme is balls.  Meatballs, to be precise.

Your choices are:
Traditional spaghetti and meatballs, with a cheesy surprise
Crispy lemon chicken meatballs with creamy-lemon linguine
Oriental minced-pork meatballs with noodles
Lamb kofte with feta flatbreads

So take your pick.  Beef, chicken, pork or lamb?  Traditional italian, light lunch, asian twist, or middle eastern delight?  The choice is yours and you have until next Thursday to vote.

Frinky

I've voted for the Crispy Lemon. I'd like a nice dinner that I can cry into, as I sit alone in my dark room on valentines day.

Quote from: "Frinky"I've voted for the Crispy Lemon. I'd like a nice dinner that I can cry into, as I sit alone in my dark room on valentines day.

Surely not?  I don't believe it!
Anyway, if the lemon chicken one wins it might be enough to entice a lovely lady into your boudoir.  Not that you have much trouble with that, I hear.  :-)

oops - edited for unintentionally hilarious spelling mistake

Smackhead Kangaroo

hmm yes the lemon does sound interesting, if only because other meatballs are somewhat more common. chavballs if you will.

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I did home ec. at school (it was called "Technology:Food" by then...) and I learned but subsequently forgot the scientific term which means "mouth feel", can anyone remind me?
"Organoleptic?"  The combined effect of food on the organs of taste and smell.

OK, I'm bowing to the pressure.  Several of you have personally requested the non-vote winning recipe for Tuscan lamb.  I will make it clear at the outset that this is an untested recipe, so I can't vouch for its tastiness.

Tuscan-style lamb
(for two)

6x75g / 3oz lamb noisettes*
4 garlic cloves, 2 cut into slivers and 2 finely chopped
9 sprigs of fresh rosemary
4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 ceery sticks, diced
1 heaped tsp fresh thyme leaves
4 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
1 medium glass red wine
300 ml / 1/2 pint lamb or chicken stock**
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato puree
400g tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped

Make three semall incisionsin the skin of each noisette.  Insert the garlic slivers and rosemary sprigs.  Season with pepper.  Place in a non-metallic dish and drizzle over half of the olive oil.  Cover with cling-film and levaefor 15 minutes at room temperature, or for up to 24 hours in the fridge (return to room temperature before cooking).
Heat a large saute pan.  Add the remaining oil and fry the onion, carrots, celery and thyme over a high heat for about 10 minute, stirring regularly, until softened and lightly browned, then stir in the finely chopped garlic and anchovies.
Pour in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any sediment, then add the stock, chopped tomoatoes and tomato puree.  Season, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until well reduced and thickened, stirring occassionally.
Heat a griddle pan, barbecue or grill.  Shake off any excess oil from the noisettes and place them in the pan.  Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly charred, and just rare (longer if you like more well done).  Season with salt and remove the string from each noisette.
Add the beans and most of the parsley mixture to the tomato sauce and stir to combine.  Season and cook for 5 minutes until heated though.  Spoon into bowls, garnish with the rest of the parsley and anrrange the lamb noisettes on top.

This would probably be good with some fresh crusty bread.

*Lamb noisettes are boned and rolled steaks taken from the rack of lamb.  Ask your butcher.   You should seal them over a really high heat, then reduce the heat to finish cooking.
** I really like Just Bouillon concentrated chicken stock - definitely better than cubes and gives a lovely deep colour.

To make up for the lack of action in my kitchen last week, I am going to post my ultimate cheese on toast recipe.  This is perfect for a cold dark winter's sunday supper, and also a remarkable hangover remedy.

Two slices wholemeal bread
60g grated mature cheddar cheese
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 teaspoon english mustard
worcester sauce
pepper

Heat the grill and toast both slices of bread on one side.  Meanwhile mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.  I've estimated the amounts, but you want enough cheese to form a generous layer on each slice of toast, and enough ketchup to bind all the cheese together into a kind of paste.  Add mustard and worcester sauce to taste (I like it easy on the mustard, heavy on the worcester sauce).  Spread the mixture evenly over the tow untoasted sides of the bread, making sure you go right to the edges otherwise they burn.  Give averything a good grind of pepper.  Grill until the cheese has melted and the top is covered with little brown blisters.

One word of warning - because of all the sugars in the ketchup this is very hot when it comes out of the oven.  I have lost track of the number of times I have burnt my mouth on this because I'm too impatient to wait a few minutes for it to cool down enough.

And a quick reminder to keep voting for qki's next dinner.  Polls close on Thursday.