Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:08:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The domesticgoddess kitchen

Started by domesticgoddess, January 29, 2005, 03:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanny splendid

Heh, I liked on that series when they had to sneak him into hotels like he was a banned rock star. I hope he does another canal-style trip, like his last series.

pillockandtwat

In about three or four hours I'm going to have to eat another roast beef dinner. Is there anything good to do with a joint of beef other than roast it and then serve it up with the usual vegetables? The best I can do at the moment as an alternative to the standard Sunday lunch is roast beef and chips.

Anybody got any ideas? I'm sure I'm not the only verbwhore that could benefit from an answer to this.

PS - A further qualificaiton. I would like to eat the beef. Throwing it at a passing landmine repairman might be a good use for it, but not in this context.

The Widow of Brid

Depends on the type of  joint surely? There are some joints where it'd be a crime to do anything but roast them (properly), and others where you might as well just hack them up for stew.

You could braise it? Or why not just use non-standard side dishes? Rice and  spiced veg, cauliflower cheese, ratatoille or what have you?

MojoJojo

Pot roast? Although that depends on the joint a fair bit. Rubbing them wholegrain mustard before cooking can add a bit of flavour too.

actwithoutwords

BUMP

I was just wondering if DG, or anyone else, had any tips on making salmon and broccoli pasta. I've tried using both a white sauce type mix, and also fresh cream, but both have been slightly lacking in taste. I know absolutely nothing about herbs or any of those things, so any ideas on what would go well?
Thanks.

The Widow of Brid

Have you tried casting aside the white sauce/dairy idea completely and just using a bit of garlic and butter, salt and black pepper and loads of lemon juice?

Borboski

I agree with that suggestion above - cream doesn't really taste of much on it's own - so unless you added some white wine and tons of garlic, or parmesan, you might find it tasteless, yeah.

But it's definately true with pasta that the less ingrediants, and higher the quality, the more you taste.

Baxter

First time poster long time reader.

Pheasant season is upon us now and will be here till February I think, At at £12 odd a brace you can't really argue, London whores may want to take a trip on the northern line down to the fine M Moen & Sons, 24 The Pavement, Clapham if not for the game then for there very tasty sausages and bacon.

Anyway it also being October there's also a spooky fruit that goes quite nicely...

Roast Apple stuffed Pheasant Basted in beetroot sauce with Muchkin Pumpkins.

One pheasant should serve two but go by how ravenous/gluttonous the party you plan to serve is.

For the birds:
1 young pheasant
2 apple slices
2-3 bacon slices
Salt
Pepper
2 Munchkin Pumpkins
Olive Oil

For the Beetroot sauce:
150g Cocktail Beetroot
25g Butter
1/4 chopped onion
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
0.75 tbsp chili sauce
1 Glass Dry white wine

Mise en place:

The Apple and the Two Muchkin pumpkins should be sliced up into eighths for the Apple and along the natural Stria for the pumpkins, remove the central section of the pumpkin and the seeds of the apple.

The Pumpkin should then be lightly seasoned to taste and drizzled with a small quantity of the wine and some olive oil.

The beetroot should be lightly washed and then patted dry, following this they are to be mashed lightly a blender is fine as long as it's not a totally smooth result.

Stuff the Pheasant with as many apples as it's gaping chasm can handle then baste the crown with a little olive oil before laying the bacon on top to make sure the little thing doesn't get too cold.

The Cooking Part:

The sauce:

Place the Butter in a pan and melt gently, then add the chopped onion, wait until the onion has browned and then go mental by adding the remaining ingrideints: Mashed beetroot, lemon juice, brown sugar, chili sauce leave to simmer until it has reduced to the consistency of ordinary boring apple sauce (but red obviously) you may add a little more wine and reduce once again if you think that it needs a little more heat to further break down the beetroot.

The Bird:

Place the Pheasant and the pumpkin slices on a lipped oven tray with the bird at the centre and the Pumpkin slices however you'd care, personally I like to use a system based on a secondary overlapped Gummelt's decagon but it is at the end of the day your choice. Roast at 180 degrees C or Gas mark 4 for 2 hours, in the final half hour baste with some of the beetroot sauce mixed with the fat that has been liberated from the bacon.

Sam

I'm cooking DG's spicy sausage pasta bake tonight for a ladyfriend. I am throwing everything in the kitchen into it so it should be quite tasty! I'll report back later.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

mook

Quote from: Baxter on October 10, 2007, 02:54:05 PM
First time poster long time reader.

At at £12 odd a brace you can't really argue,

You paying £12 a brace for pheasants? You're getting fleeced there my old mate, down here, just 60 miles south of that London I pay no more than £5-5.50 a brace and more often than not £4.50 a brace. And as for cooking the bird for 2 hours? I think you need to read the recipe again, you shouldn't be roasting the bird for 2 hours either, it'll be as dried up as fuck. If your oven is up to temperature you only need to roast the bird for 35-40 min* to have it just pink, and up to an hour  for well done, any longer than that and you've made pheasant jerky.

*"sizzle" it for 20 minutes at 220-230C GM 7-8, then turn the oven down to 180C GM 4 for the remaining time.

When weekending at my country residence I regularly see freshly dead ones that have been hit by cars.  Pheasants are daft sods with no road sense. The one last weekend looked perfectable cookable, just slightly rearranged.

Sam

Well the spicy sausage pasta bake was a triumph. I tell ya, if my friend didn't have a boyfriend I would have got laid for that one! ;)

I used all then ingredients mentioned in DG's original recipe (Toulouse sausages instead of chorizo) and I threw in some pepper and mushroom as well. It was gorgeous. I think the cream and red wine made it extra tasty and I used a lot of red chillies to make it nice and spicy. I did some homemade ciabatta as well which topped the whole thing off, with a nice bottle of red wine.

I was gonna take a picture (cos it looked great as well as tasting delish) but I didn't want to go through the awkwardness of a conversation like:

"Umm, why are you taking a picture of the food?"

"Oh that's just so I can show it to a load of strangers on an internet comedy forum!"

"Riiight" *backs away slowly*

the midnight watch baboon

OMG, TMWB! I have to start a Gluten-free diet as of today, to help in 'ameliorating some of the behaviourial symptoms' the brain people say I have. Sounds ok, Amelie is a great film. Anyone else here on a GF diet, are the GF range of breads, cakes and cereals nice-ish or is it all a tasteless, expensive affair...

Prescription Dinosaur

Edit - switching allegiances

SimonG156

I love an old (important) ribeye steak lightly olive oiled, salt & peperred and quickly bbq'd.

What is a quick potato accompaniment?

I normally just boil some jersey's and add mayo and cut a few chives over it. A few leaves in oil & balsamic vinegar.

Oh, and I'm a weirdo. Any lactose and I'm ill for days (no cheese, milk, cream sadly).

Any ideas gratefully received.

CaledonianGonzo

SimonG156

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on July 18, 2008, 03:31:16 PM
Chips

Funnily enough was talking about this down the pub just now. Don't have a fryer though. And the wash/soak/rinse, fry, cool, fry again cycle for a perfect chip is > 1 hours work.

Any sort of potato wedge, just bug in an oven recipes anyone?

mook

Quote from: SimonG156 on July 18, 2008, 03:53:54 PM
Funnily enough was talking about this down the pub just now. Don't have a fryer though. And the wash/soak/rinse, fry, cool, fry again cycle for a perfect chip is > 1 hours work.

Any sort of potato wedge, just bug in an oven recipes anyone?

If you've got enough nouse to know that a good chip takes an hour plus to prep, cook, cool, cook, cool  and cook again to get onto the plate in any state worth eating, you shouldn't need any advice in making potato wedges surely!

SimonG156

Quote from: mook on July 18, 2008, 04:17:09 PM
If you've got enough nouse to know that a good chip takes an hour plus to prep, cook, cool, cook, cool  and cook again to get onto the plate in any state worth eating, you shouldn't need any advice in making potato wedges surely!

Never made them and only eaten them about twice and that was at someone else's!

Presuming olive oild, some salt & pepper may be enough. Baking potatoes or regular?

mook

Alright then Simon. This time of year you need the flouriest spud you can get you hands on for that kind of stuff. Maris piper, cut into wedges, par-boiled with a fuckload of fresh mint, drained and patted dry and left to cool for a bit, pour on a good flavoursome oil (your choice), some cinnamon, cayenne, smoked paprika, thyme and salt and pepper will work and then chuck in the oven with a couple of bay leaves and fresh rosemary until commonsense tells you their done. You could par-bake other tators, but at this time of year things like estima, and the red skinned buggers are far too sweet and watery to bother with I reckon. 

Emma Raducanu

mmm food

dredd

Any aubergine tips? It's probably going to be a curry, but I'm open to suggestions.

mook

Quote from: dredd on July 18, 2008, 07:50:23 PM
  Any aubergine tips? It's probably going to be a curry, but I'm open to suggestions.

Google pasta alla norma. It's lovely I promise.

SimonG156

Quote from: mook on July 18, 2008, 05:22:10 PM
Alright then Simon.
Fuck me. A week to check bnack and thank you. Thanks. what a lazy cunt I am. no wonder I'll never have decent home cooked chips again.

par-boiled. I thought that might do it. olive oil and whatever herbs/spices are a) growing in the garden that I've remembered to water and b) near their use-by dates.

Sweet.