Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:48:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cosby Finally Nailed

Started by nedthemumbler, April 26, 2018, 08:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: gatchamandave on September 26, 2018, 12:04:34 PM
Why ?.What's wrong with it ?

Well, I hate to be all pearl-clutchy about it, but it's the <<LOLprisonrape!!?>> which I thought most around here had agreed was last acceptable about five years ago.

Shit Good Nose

Well, the prison rape discussion started (at least on my part) as a serious and genuine thing as it DOES happen.  The subsequent LOLrape stuff, at least by me and biggy, was clearly contriving a shit sit-com using still-current prison comedy tropes.

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 26, 2018, 12:10:42 PM
[tag]This doesn't look god for Cosbyn[/tag]

Missed that.  Karma.

gilbertharding

I dunno. I'm not keeping score - but I'm a bit surprised that's the way the thread went.

gatchamandave

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 26, 2018, 12:56:05 PM
I dunno. I'm not keeping score - but I'm a bit surprised that's the way the thread went.

Mmm..thing is,on the Today programme Humphrey's was quizzing one of the victim's lawyers "...And is it true that your client laughed at Cosby when the verdict was delivered ?"

and I thought "Good for her". He was a reprehensible man posing as something of a saint and to my mind pointing and laughing at him seems a reasonable response to a man who spent a career expecting us to go along with him. I'm not supporting him being gang raped, be clear, but i have no pity for him either.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 26, 2018, 12:56:05 PM

The thread hasn't gone that way at all, it was just a childish few aside posts.

Hell, if we can't even contrive a shit-com with Cosby and Harris getting cosy in prison now...

Isn't this just the tip of an iceberg in an industry basically run on this type of thing? (Or at least very accepting of it). It seems more like Cosby was no longer rich/powerful enough to keep the tide of stories about him at bay, whilst other similar figures will carry on for as long as they're still profitable/powerful/owed favours?

Obviously, I'm all for powerful abusers being nailed but it's almost inevitable today's female wannabe celebs, stars or film/TV industry figures encounter much the same thing and either risk being ostracised by their profession/producers etc, or simply bottle it up in the hope that forty years down the line their abusers have slipped enough in prestige to be successfully taken down.

For every Cosby or Weinstein there's probably another shedload who operate in much the same way but are smart/lucky/powerful enough to get away with it.

Alberon

I dunno, I think it is a genuine movement, if it will lead to lasting change is the big question.

Les Moonves was recently forced to resign as CBS chairman and CEO. He was at the height of his power when he was brought down.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Quote on September 26, 2018, 01:23:46 PM
Isn't this just the tip of an iceberg in an industry basically run on this type of thing?

Judd Apatappa spoke about it on Maron's podcast saying it was basically an open secret that if your daughter/female relative is on set and Cosby arrives then you make immediate arrangements to get your daughter/female relative the fuck out of there. People knew and Cosby used his influence to continue doing what he did. The parallels with Savile are many. He was the American Savile.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Alberon on September 26, 2018, 01:37:10 PM
I dunno, I think it is a genuine movement, if it will lead to lasting change is the big question.

Agreed - whilst it will almost certainly still happen, I'm sure it will happen less frequently and with it now being taken so seriously there will be less fear from the victims to speak out about it.  As you say, how long it will last remains to be seen, but if social media is good for anything, then this is one of the things it's good for, because even if executives and the media won't listen, a good chunk of Joe Public will.

And, surely, there's got to be a higher percentage of more "switched on" people working in the industry now meaning that Hollywood WON'T be a byword for being raped by someone in power.

Or is that all too simplistic and rose tinted?

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 26, 2018, 01:12:40 PM
The thread hasn't gone that way at all, it was just a childish few aside posts.

Just speaking as I (seemed to) find. As you were.

gilbertharding

Quote from: gatchamandave on September 26, 2018, 01:04:16 PM
and I thought "Good for her".

As you quoted me in your post, I'll say that I'd think 'good for her' as well. For the same reason.

Paul Calf

Hollywood is so alluring to so many, and there's such a shortage of room at the top, that abuse in some form will always happen. I don't think this particular type of abuse will happen much any more though.

gilbertharding

Aye.

I guess a lot of these older guys *were* young in an era of so-called permissiveness, and a lot of people *might* have thought "sex? yeah, I'll swap some of that for a shot at the big time."

Like you implied - I wonder what will replace it.

I know it's no proof, and could all be bollocks but posts on blogs like 'Crazy Days & Nights' (by an alleged entertainment lawyer) and other apparently anonymous insider gossip sites makes me think that this type of thing is all too common and indeed a credible career-path for many in Hollywood.

But like I say, there's no real way of knowing until things like this hit the courts/papers.

I'll be honest, as someone who discovered Hollywood Babylon in the local library as a teen I find all this stuff kinda fascinating (if repulsive).

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 26, 2018, 01:46:17 PM
He was the American Savile.

Cosby was always a creepy old cunt, however, im not sure if he fucked dead bodies or sick and vulnerable children.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on September 26, 2018, 02:39:46 PM
Cosby was always a creepy old cunt, however, im not sure if he fucked dead bodies or sick and vulnerable children.

I mean that they were both very famous on television, were very manipulative of the people around them and they were both extremely prolific with victims well into the dozens over decades and neither got caught for ages. Savile went for children and died before he got caught so there are differences but I think the similarities outweigh the differences.

daf

QuoteI'm not saying Mr Cosby is Jesus . . .

That is for others to say!
Aaaaah!
do you see?
AAAAAAHHHH!!!

iamcoop

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 25, 2018, 09:16:49 PM
Well he's very famous so probably someone will try and give it a go for bragging rights.

Did u hear dazzer fucked Bill Cosby in prison lol see you at 5 a side tmoz x