Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:20:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cosby Finally Nailed

Started by nedthemumbler, April 26, 2018, 08:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: Bhazor on April 27, 2018, 10:30:40 AM
Kudos to the court painter. Really capturing the look of "just found guilty on multiple counts of rape"

"Shut that door."

DrGreggles

Kudos to the court painter. Really capturing the look of "just found guilty on multiple counts of rape"

Queeg's let himself go.

biggytitbo

Very sad to see Cosby developing vampirism due to the shock of his conviction, stay strong Bill.

Blumf

bgmnts

To be fair that is incredibly accurate, I saw the big photo of him on the NY Times article; looked mega evil.

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 27, 2018, 10:05:31 AM
South Park is a big old dog whistling normalisation of slippery slopes.

They don't dog whistle. (Why has that term suddenly become so popular?) They are completely upfront and candid about any jokes or messages they want to send.

If you think they are unfunny or offensive then that's fair enough. But you can't accuse them of coded messages, or moral cowardice. If you have seen the show then you should know that they lay everything down on the table, for all to see.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Default to the negative on April 27, 2018, 11:28:20 AM
They don't dog whistle. (Why has that term suddenly become so popular?) They are completely upfront and candid about any jokes or messages they want to send.

If you think they are unfunny or offensive then that's fair enough. But you can't accuse them of coded messages, or moral cowardice. If you have seen the show then you should know that they lay everything down on the table, for all to see.

I was only joking. Or was I, aaaaaah?

Phil_A

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 27, 2018, 10:03:22 AM
It's used to push a libertarian agenda. You can't get more right wing than that.

Without wishing to defend Libertarians, it's a misinterpretation to say it's specifically a rightist ideology, given that there are left and right strands under the wider umbrella of Libertarianism.

As others have said Parker & Stone are very clearly Libertarian Centrists(not sure how seriously to take that quote about them being Republicans).

South Park is simply aggressively cynical, there's no coherency to the politics they espouse

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Phil_A on April 27, 2018, 11:55:53 AM
As others have said Parker & Stone are very clearly Libertarian Centrists(not sure how seriously to take that quote about them being Republicans).

Don't take it seriously https://youtu.be/l97WdRuoJo8

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 27, 2018, 11:58:44 AM
South Park is simply aggressively cynical, there's no coherency to the politics they espouse

It's also important to remember it's a comedy cartoon. Not everything they parody is a reflection of their political leanings. They teased the PC movement, but that doesn't make them anti-PC.

Bhazor

Quote from: Funcrusher on April 27, 2018, 11:46:56 AM
I was only joking. Or was I, aaaaaah?

You gotta reaction outta them. They gotta give you that. They played right into your hands.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 27, 2018, 12:00:26 PM
It's also important to remember it's a comedy cartoon. Not everything they parody is a reflection of their political leanings. They teased the PC movement, but that doesn't make them anti-PC.

Exactly, they're just going to go after everything they perceive to be a sacred cow. Transgression for the sake of transgression. Or for the sake of humour, rather. This occasionally ventures into territory that seems reactionary, but it would be very difficult to draw a line that traces any coherent worldview.

Dex Sawash

Aaron McGruder has branched out

Brundle-Fly

In his defence, Bill Cosby does one of my favourite ever Beatles covers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUlv5FCqpeo

checkoutgirl

So there you go. I know we are wedded to the fair trial and all that bollocks but 33 women all coming forward at the same is almost unprecedented. Cosby is now the American Savile. In one way it's worse because Savile always looked like a wrong'un but Cosby was always the cuddly uncle. Although in the business he had a terrible reputation even in the 1980s so it must have been an open secret that he was a predator.

It's weird how and entire industry can be fairly certain that some characters should be avoided but it never gets to the wider world and nothing is done, if they are powerful enough or perceived to be powerful enough. The parallels with Savile are striking.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: checkoutgirl on April 27, 2018, 12:47:38 PM
So there you go. I know we are wedded to the fair trial and all that bollocks but 33 women all coming forward at the same is almost unprecedented. Cosby is now the American Savile. In one way it's worse because Savile always looked like a wrong'un but Cosby was always the cuddly uncle. Although in the business he had a terrible reputation even in the 1980s so it must have been an open secret that he was a predator.

It's weird how and entire industry can be fairly certain that some characters should be avoided but it never gets to the wider world and nothing is done, if they are powerful enough or perceived to be powerful enough. The parallels with Savile are striking.

Savile did a lot for charity, made us wear seatbelts and supposedly pioneered the mobile disco but he wasn't the inspiration and figurehead for an entire race. That has been the most catastrophic aspect of all this.

Fambo Number Mive

I agree, although Cosby didn't target dying people or children like Saville did. It's scary how people on twitter are still defending Cosby.

In one way it's worse because Savile always looked like a wrong'un but Cosby was always the cuddly uncle.

Savile pulled a successful double-bluff on me. I was aware of the rumours and the insinuations, but I was that one fool who argued against them. I did this because I thought people were simply judging him on his appearance. 'He looks like a creepy old man - must be a pedo then!' But I was wrong, and I suppose there are some times when you should judge a book by its cover.

Never had much of an opinion on Cosby, back in the day. I did find him a bit sanctimonious at times. When he was phoning up Eddie Murphy to complain about the cuss words, or telling black people they need to pull their socks up and be more respectable.

Because they're giving black people a bad image! Oh, the fucking hypocrisy.

there's some pretty bad takes on twitter:

Tariq Nasheed sounds like a Nation of Islam name. Of course he would have this take on it.

It might have been better if Cosby had been prosecuted during Obama's tenure. Then people might not think it was a stitch-up.

Fambo Number Mive

Tariq is a historian and made a film about Haiti.

Having made films doesn't really make him a 'historian'. He's more of a shock jock/PUA/cultural commentator.

jobotic

Cosby's defence should have been "Yeah, but I made this..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hRvwaXzFo

..."and Tribe Called Quest sampled it. I mean, come on."

Not really, glad he's been done. Still like this though. Even though I shouldn't. I dunno.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 27, 2018, 01:04:53 PM

That is an extraordinary conclusion to make. Up there with Lauren Hill getting a three month prison sentence for tax evasion and blaming it on the African slave trade

Fambo Number Mive

So much whattebouttary by people defending Cosby on Twitter.

Brundle-Fly

I can't stand that buzzword and not very Twitter active. Are his defenders banging on about Weinstein, Spacey etc not in jail yet?

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 27, 2018, 01:04:53 PM

I think it was the two laws "no drugging" and "no raping" that they used.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2018, 01:34:11 PM
I can't stand that buzzword

how would you prefer that people described that specific sort of rhetorical strategy

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2018, 01:34:11 PM
I can't stand that buzzword and not very Twitter active. Are his defenders banging on about Weinstein, Spacey etc not in jail yet?

Yes. I meant they are right that other powerful people should be prosecuted as well, but that's not a reason not to convict Cosby. In fact it might mean more people come forward about other powerful people.

Also, some people are saying he shouldn't go to prison as he is 80 (not that I am saying that is whattabouttery).

ieXush2i

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 27, 2018, 12:51:59 PM
Savile did a lot for charity, made us wear seatbelts and supposedly pioneered the mobile disco but he wasn't the inspiration and figurehead for an entire race. That has been the most catastrophic aspect of all this.

Call me controversial but I think all the decades of spiked sexual assaults were the most catastrophic aspect.