Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:05:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chicken Run 2

Started by Thomas, April 27, 2018, 11:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 30, 2018, 06:32:30 AM
What film references do A Grand Day Out or The Wrong Trousers rely on?

Also I'm not sure anyone in any of those films has ever said the name of a biscuit.
hitchcock and ealing comedies, probs

Sin Agog

itsfredtitmus

Were-Rabbit fucking rules

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: mothman on April 30, 2018, 05:56:24 PM
Anyway, the point of my initial research was... would Chicken Run have won in 2000 if the category had existed then? Probably not, it'd have been beaten by Toy Story 2 I suspect.

Toy Story 2 was released in late 1999, so was eligible for the 2000 Oscars, whereas Chicken Run was Summer 2000, so would have gone into the 2001 Oscars. There was no Pixar film that year, the other big animated films that year (at least in America) were The Emperor's New Groove, Rugrats in Paris, Fantasia 2000 and Dinosaur (which made more money), plus a couple of flops like Titan A.E. and The Road to Eldorado. Also Pokemon 2000. I think it would have stood a pretty good chance of winning in that field, maybe Disney's campaigning power might have given the edge to Dinosaur for its technical breakthroughs even though the general consensus seemed to be that the film was pretty disappointing as a whole.

biggytitbo

Kate Bush wrote a song for Dinosaur which got cut so fuck them. Chicken Run would have walked it I reckon, the academy love Park.

Replies From View

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 30, 2018, 01:42:35 PM
It's a truly abysmal film.  It's basically one of those rebadged far Eastern animations that normally go straight to DVD, with the only differences being the animation is (slightly) better and it features voices from people you've actually heard of.  Otherwise it's absolute dog shit.

What's wrong with a rebadged far Eastern animation if the animation is better and the voices aren't awful?

Replies From View

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 30, 2018, 06:00:24 PM
hitchcock and ealing comedies, probs

Those aren't names of biscuits, mate.

Sin Agog

Eastern-European animation knocks the West into a cocked hat, anyway.  Lightyears ahead of us, creatively. It still fucks me off how the notion of adults watching, and enjoying, cartoons is so unfathomable.  Outside of the Bo Horseman/Rik & Morty-style, that is.  May be that Isle of Dogs might turn the tide a tiny bit, but probably not.

Replies From View

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 30, 2018, 06:22:18 PM
Were-Rabbit fucking rules

They should have gone with the original plan, which was to restore Wallace's true self (and ears) by re-merging him with the cheese-obsessed rabbit the experiment accidentally created.  Y'know, like in the 1950s version of The Fly except a happy ending.

But Aardman decided they didn't want to "lose" the character of the cheese-eating rabbit, so instead they restored Wallace by having him smell some cheese. 

So Wallace goes back to normal leaving a demented cheese-eating rabbit roaming around in the fields that is DEFINITELY GOING TO DIE SOON BECAUSE IT REFUSES TO EAT EVERYTHING EXCEPT CHEESE.

mothman

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 30, 2018, 07:07:14 PM
Toy Story 2 was released in late 1999, so was eligible for the 2000 Oscars, whereas Chicken Run was Summer 2000, so would have gone into the 2001 Oscars. There was no Pixar film that year, the other big animated films that year (at least in America) were The Emperor's New Groove, Rugrats in Paris, Fantasia 2000 and Dinosaur (which made more money), plus a couple of flops like Titan A.E. and The Road to Eldorado. Also Pokemon 2000. I think it would have stood a pretty good chance of winning in that field, maybe Disney's campaigning power might have given the edge to Dinosaur for its technical breakthroughs even though the general consensus seemed to be that the film was pretty disappointing as a whole.

You're right. It all seems a long time ago now, all I remember is that I saw Toy Story and Chicken Run the same year. In this hypothetical situation, I could easily see Disney throwing their weight behind Road to El Dorado, because that was "proper" Disney animation, and Disney seemed to remain in denial about the "new" animation giants like Pixar for many, many years; they had their business model of a new classically-animated film every year or two, and the annual re-release of a much-beloved classic film, and that worked quite nicely for them. Until it didn't, anymore. The classic example, of course being their firm belief that OF COURSE everyone was going to want that grotesque Hunchback of Notre Dame doll for Christmas - why wouldnt they? It's DISNEY - not some Buzz Lightkill Star Ranger or whatever it's called...

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on April 30, 2018, 06:01:31 PM
yh tonne of references https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108598/movieconnections

QuoteReferences 
Psycho (1960)
Feathers McGraw believes himself to be a chicken, just as Norman Bates believes to be his mother.

This seems like a bit of a stretch.

I also have no memory of the references to Gremlins, Temple of Doom or Batman Returns alluded to in that list.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

He doesn't believe he's a chicken. It's a disguise. Because he's a jewel thief. I hope whoever wrote that gets blocked sinuses.

That reminds me of some berk years ago, who kept editing the Wikipedia page to say that The Wrong Trousers was some sort of Rivers of Blood allegory. Their basis for this was that Feathers was black and at one point Wallace says he's "partial to a nice black pudding". It was fascinatingly stupid.

Replies From View

This is how I rank the Wallace and Gromit films:

The Wrong Trousers (sublime)
A Grand Day Out (lovely in its roughness, and to see Wallace before the formula of his stretched mouth took over is great)
Curse of the Were-Rabbit (there's lots to enjoy here, and though it arguably struggles to fill its running time, I appreciate the set-up having the time to breathe, which isn't true of A Close Shave or Loaf and Death)
A Close Shave (the speaking characters have dead eyes in this, I think.  The first sign that Aardman was beginning to streamline production as it grew, and Nick Park's personal touch in the animation seemed to be fading)
A Matter of Loaf and Death (very weak.  Somehow feels like what Wallace and Gromit would be like if they kept going without Peter Sallis)

So there.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 30, 2018, 09:46:52 PM
That reminds me of some berk years ago, who kept editing the Wikipedia page to say that The Wrong Trousers was some sort of Rivers of Blood allegory. Their basis for this was that Feathers was black and at one point Wallace says he's "partial to a nice black pudding". It was fascinatingly stupid.

Just looked that up. The full thing can be read here, but this appears to be the gist of it:

QuoteThe Real Meaning of the Satire and such is this, Wallace (Ie, the British Government) is Bankrupt through Purchasing The Techno Trousers (Ie. American Help with the War effort),he is forced to bring in the lodger in order to pay for them (it) the Penguin (Ie. Immigrant Worker) surpresses the Working Class Through American Technology (The Hammond Organ) and Becomes The new worker, meanwhile the working class become unemployed as their jobs have been taken (Gromit leaves home), meanwhile the Penguin manipulates the state through Technology (The Techno Trousers) To plunder the Nations Resourses (The Diamond in the Museum) and become the new master. however the working class through their knowledge of Technology revolt (Gromit repairing the Techno Trousers) and utilise Speedy Transportation (The Model Train) to Aprehend the Penguin and then take him to the Zoo (Prison) Obviously!

itsfredtitmus

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 30, 2018, 09:46:52 PM
He doesn't believe he's a chicken. It's a disguise. Because he's a jewel thief. I hope whoever wrote that gets blocked sinuses.

oh yeah thats stupid i didnt read that
its clearly hitchcock though (as is loaf of bread)

i watched a few nick park mini-docs and he talks about hitchcock every time

Replies From View

My favourite Hitchcock film is the one where there's no toast in the toaster so the airborne jam goes in his face.

Old Nehamkin

Hitchcock is definitely a big influence on The Wrong Trousers and I suppose A Close Shave to a lesser extent. I was more contesting the idea that the W&G films are laden with hacky, direct pop culture nods.

Replies From View

I'm being facetious; of course Hitchcock is a strong influence on aspects of The Wrong Trousers in particular.

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on April 30, 2018, 10:03:10 PM
Just looked that up. The full thing can be read here, but this appears to be the gist of it:
Yeah, that's the one. As a former film studies student, I would never accuse anyone of reading too much into a story, but what a complete prannet.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 30, 2018, 08:12:43 PM
They should have gone with the original plan, which was to restore Wallace's true self (and ears) by re-merging him with the cheese-obsessed rabbit the experiment accidentally created.  Y'know, like in the 1950s version of The Fly except a happy ending.

But Aardman decided they didn't want to "lose" the character of the cheese-eating rabbit, so instead they restored Wallace by having him smell some cheese. 

So Wallace goes back to normal leaving a demented cheese-eating rabbit roaming around in the fields that is DEFINITELY GOING TO DIE SOON BECAUSE IT REFUSES TO EAT EVERYTHING EXCEPT CHEESE.
That rabbit was such a transparent attempt at making another Shaun the sheep. It's emblematic of what's wrong with the film. I understand that there was a commercial pressure, that didn't apply to the telly ones, but I thought the film just went too broad. Mark Kermode said that it made no concessions to the American market and, as usual, he was dead wrong. The supporting characters are every kind of British stereotype. Also, in much the same way that aliens don't work for Indiana Jones, monstrous mutation doesn't suit the world of Wallace. It's still enjoyable, but it lacks the charm of the older ones.

Replies From View

I always thought the working title was better:  'The Great Vegetable Plot'

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Replies From View on April 30, 2018, 11:07:57 PM
I'm being facetious; of course Hitchcock is a strong influence on aspects of The Wrong Trousers in particular.

Oh yeah I was replying to itsfredtitmus sorry.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 30, 2018, 11:09:30 PM
Also, in much the same way that aliens don't work for Indiana Jones, monstrous mutation doesn't suit the world of Wallace. It's still enjoyable, but it lacks the charm of the older ones.

I reckon Wallace and gromit inhabit the same fictional universe as hammer films. Also they go to the moon in the first one, so outright fantasy is in scope.

Replies From View

They must be in the same fictional universe as Doctor Who as well, because whoever made the techno trousers seems to be supplying sound effects to the Cybermen on the sly.

madhair60

(Rubbing temples) Sorry did some cunt just say they don't like Wallace and Gromit? Jesus wept

I rubbed a temple. Then the the rabbi called me meshuggah and told me to leave.

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 01, 2018, 07:20:01 AM
Also they go to the moon in the first one, so outright fantasy is in scope.
Well yes, but also no.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Replies From View on April 30, 2018, 08:04:57 PM
What's wrong with a rebadged far Eastern animation if the animation is better and the voices aren't awful?

Absolutely nothing.  IF the film is any good.  Sadly, they usually aren't.  Note I specified the ones that go straight to DVD, even in its country of origin - stuff like Sea Food (AKA Seefood, AKA Sea Level) and its sequel are the two main ones that spring to mind, however there are loads of others.  Little Nose has quite a few of them on DVD (including Sea Food 1 and 2), admittedly cos they were 50p or a quid and she hadn't yet developed a shitnessometer, but they are all gak.  Duck Duck Goose also falls into this category.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 30, 2018, 11:09:30 PM
That rabbit was such a transparent attempt at making another Shaun the sheep. It's emblematic of what's wrong with the film. I understand that there was a commercial pressure, that didn't apply to the telly ones, but I thought the film just went too broad. Mark Kermode said that it made no concessions to the American market and, as usual, he was dead wrong. The supporting characters are every kind of British stereotype.

I like Curse of the Wererabbit, but there's definitely something jarring in the way Wallace and Gromit suddenly seem to live in a sort of archetypal Quaint English Village rather than the grottier urban setting glimpsed in the earlier films:

Replies From View

Hadn't that transition pretty much occurred with A Close Shave?

Thomas

I adore A Grand Day Out. Sheer loveliness. Proudly handmade. Little handpainted wallpaper patterns. Lovely incidental music. Not a hint of daylight throughout. Perfect night time vibe. Cosy.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 30, 2018, 07:45:51 PM
Kate Bush wrote a song for Dinosaur which got cut so fuck them.

I was not aware of this incredible and weird fact.