Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:45:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chicken Run 2

Started by Thomas, April 27, 2018, 11:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

I remember having an argument when I was 17 with someone who thought A Close Shave was better than The Wrong Trousers.

Surely nobody believes that do they?

Dex Sawash

A true statement about the concept of close shave v incorrect trousers

idunnosomename

Quote from: Replies From View on May 01, 2018, 05:27:23 PM
Hadn't that transition pretty much occurred with A Close Shave?

Maybe a little bit more suburban, but didn't they reuse sets? They were all destroyed in the 2005 warehouse fire of course.

The town is very much based on Nick Park's Preston. All out of the window for Were-Rabbit, which is set more in a rural village with a country house more typical of the Midlands than industrial Lancs.

biggytitbo

Were Rabbit is a hammer film though, which are invariably set in country villages and mansions rather than suburban streets. It's possible they were put under pressure by Dreamworks to make it more recognisable 'english', but equally likely this was just the vibe they were going for.

BritishHobo

One thing I always liked is that each film seems totally independent. New business, new social circle, no real connection to previous adventures.

This sequel seems proper superfluous though. Definitely comes off very 'our original films aren't doing very well'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I thought they'd been doing alright with the Gruffalo film, but it turned out that wasn't them.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 28, 2018, 07:59:43 PM
What kind of mad lad is this ^ Chicken Run is fucking magic.

I knew the ending before the film even started. In fact, I knew the plot.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 04, 2018, 10:20:41 PM
I knew the ending before the film even started. In fact, I knew the plot.

Well yeah, it's a prison break film. They break out of the prison.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Thanks for the spoilers, you pack of dogs.

Thomas

looks bad :(

Call me a precious nerd attacking a film for kids, but I don't feel that worn Bond parody ideas like 'laser-guided robot moles' belong in the carefully crafted, rustic world of Chicken Run.

The first film is honestly in my top ten. Everything works - the minutely studied look of the world, the amazing score, the characters, the jokes, the key moments of revelation, the action, the pastiche, the triumph.

George White

And the new voices don't work.

Midas

The animation's too polished. Charmless.

Old Nehamkin

At least we don't have to hear Julia Sawalha's shit, old voice.

madhair60

fucking who cares, infinity years too late and chicken run was mid anyway

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: madhair60 on September 06, 2023, 10:58:21 AMfucking who cares, infinity years too late and chicken run was mid anyway

I've literally never been so angry with anyone in my life having such a wrong opinion.

dead-ced-dead

Anyway, the changing voice cast was a problem for me, too. They just sound off, as much as I like Danny Mays, Romesh Ranganathan etc. Mel Gibson I get, but the others are a bit strange.

And the high-tech Bond parody isn't nearly so charming as a revolutionary plotting smuggled into a kids film.

Old Nehamkin

Using the word mid is mid

Thomas

It's notable perhaps that neither Nick Park nor Peter Lord, the men with the original Aardman magic in their visions and fingertips, are directing or writing this sequel.

They're billed as producers, but what does that mean? Signing some sheets of paper and saying 'yeah okay we'll make a sequel because Early Man did poorly'?

The story is more important to me than the choice of voice actors but the new voices are very distracting if you're familiar with the original. Gives it that straight-to-video sequel vibe (which technically is accurate since it's a Netflix exclusive).

idunnosomename

How is this thread so old. Surely we had a discussion about the Sawalha casting controversy

Old Nehamkin

This thread is so old it should be unceremoniously replaced with a newer thread despite being willing and able to continue doing its job.

madhair60

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 06, 2023, 12:06:41 PMget with the times you senile old cunt

Aardman's scathing final email to Julia Sawalha leaked.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on September 06, 2023, 10:59:54 AMI've literally never been so angry with anyone in my life having such a wrong opinion.

It's not even the best non-W&G Aardman feature, but the original is great.

idunnosomename

Deffo going for modern James Bond / Mission: Impossible parody.

Character on right is voiced by Peter Serafinowicz

madhair60

Aardman have been shit for over a decade

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 06, 2023, 03:40:33 PMDeffo going for modern James Bond / Mission: Impossible parody.

Glad that Mr tweedy seems to have finally walked away from that toxic relationship at least.

Toki

I thought Pirates was charming. The opening to the caveman one was fun. Only dropped off for me when the dialogue began. I don't have Netflix though, so can't watch this.

George White

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 06, 2023, 03:40:33 PMDeffo going for modern James Bond / Mission: Impossible parody.

Is it just me or are they going for a claymation Butterfield?

BritishHobo

The character return in the trailer - full MCU post-credits style - makes it even odder that they binned off Julia Sawalha so unceremoniously. They clearly understand that Miranda Richardson's and Jane Horrocks's voices are key to their characters. It feels a bit like she's been chucked under the bus so nobody's really talking about the choice to replace Mel Gibson. Which everybody would have been absolutely fine with.

Also yeah, the turn to sci-fi looks rubbish. As Thomas said, that lovely countryside setting was the charm of the original.

There are some laughs in there - mainly from Babs and the daft, recast rat - but the junking of Sawalha really has soured me on it, unexpectedly. I'd almost rather they had just recast the whole thing. Florence Pugh as Babs. Olivia Colman as Tweedy. Sever all connections, instead of doing it halfway.

George White

And what's odd is that Newton actually sounds older than Sawalha.