Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:54:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The shifting appearance of Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour

Started by popcorn, April 28, 2018, 07:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

Tikwid

My contribution to this thread shall be to point out that, interestingly enough, Roger's hair seems to have recently regained its pre-80s "roundness":

Oh sure, he could use tricks to recreate the hairstyle of his 20s. But David Gilmour is all about the music.

No offence, Percy.

Nowhere Man

Probably better being bald than having seaweed for hair.

Roger Daltrey looks quite good still, you can tell he was the guy in The Who who looked after himself a bit. Pete looks a bit rough, but otherwise, just a regular old fella.

Keith and John look much worse for wear nowadays, mind.

Shaky

Quote from: Serge on April 29, 2018, 07:27:08 PM

I have mentioned on here before that the picture of Gilmour and Mason from the gatefold sleeve of 'Momentary Lapse...' does make them look like the entertainment at a social club c.1987. "Scampi at half past nine!"

Nick Mason credited with "sound effects" there. I can imagine him making car noises during takes to annoy Gilmour.

Nowhere Man

The Stones however, are now so decrepit they've had to animate themselves just to keep going!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Nowhere Man on April 30, 2018, 06:18:18 AM
The Stones however, are now so decrepit they've had to animate themselves just to keep going!

And look how long Ronnie's left arm has got round Charlie's shoulder.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: popcorn on April 29, 2018, 07:46:43 PM
He's given millions to charity and recently played in support of Labour, so I think that's unlikely, but yes, this is definitely the look.

I believe he did say he "wasn't particularly keen on the attacks on Mrs Thatcher" on The Final Cut, so maybe his chameleonic powers extend from his appearance into his politics?

Nobody Soup

my friend fancies David Gilmour, and I've only ever really known him as fat, bald with a grey goatee. it's actually only about a few months ago I saw a picture of him as a young man and though "fuck, I get it now." (I had seen pictures of him before, but never joined the dots) it didn't help that Floyd are almost deliberately anonymous as a band, making it all about light shows and graphics. I sometimes even wonder if Waters steered them that way because he didn't want another pretty boy stealing all the limelight again, syd was brought in as the face of the band and I still feel like he's the most recognizeable one.

not to be harsh on Barret because he wanted no part of it, but no one made more of a legend out of being mad and beautiful. he was out the band before they really cemented their place in rock history and Gilmour was vastly more talented. I kinda find their earlier stuff with him pretty boring.

non capisco

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 29, 2018, 10:12:44 PM
Andy Partridge was a very good looking young man.

He understandably piled on the terry after they stopped touring and he wasn't guzzling valium all the time. There was a transitionary period during TV interviews promoting 'Mummer' when he was suddenly the dead spit of the Nazi whose face melts off at the end of Raiders Of The Lost Ark.

phantom_power

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on April 30, 2018, 08:53:27 PM
I believe he did say he "wasn't particularly keen on the attacks on Mrs Thatcher" on The Final Cut, so maybe his chameleonic powers extend from his appearance into his politics?

What about the ones on Animals?

One of the most bitter disputes in music history, but Roger Waters eventually won the war.

His solo records couldn't touch the Gilmour-helmed Floyd albums in terms of sales, but while David aged arguably worse than Frank Black, Roger matured like a fine wine. He actually got better looking and nails that whole attractive divorced lecturer vibe. If a fancy lady met him for the first time, she might assume he was stunningly handsome his whole life. Of course the truth is he simply cast a curse on frenemy Gilmour in 1980.

non capisco

I don't think anyone in music has aged with quite the same level of rapidity as Mark E Smith did in the 90s.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Quote from: phantom_power on April 30, 2018, 10:07:26 PM
What about the ones on Animals?

I'm still not convinced the second pig was Thatcher at the time. I vaguely recall Waters saying it could be retrospectively interpreted that way though.

mothman

An "Adam Clayton (the bass "player" from U2) Through The Ages" photomontage would be something. There's a man who's had a variety of looks (invoughng a period looking like Benicio del Toro as the Collector) and yet remains totally anonymous. Go on, try and picture him in your mind right now. You can't, can you? Bono, the Edge, Larry, no problem.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: mothman on May 01, 2018, 07:46:48 PM
An "Adam Clayton (the bass "player" from U2) Through The Ages" photomontage would be something. There's a man who's had a variety of looks (invoughng a period looking like Benicio del Toro as the Collector) and yet remains totally anonymous. Go on, try and picture him in your mind right now. You can't, can you? Bono, the Edge, Larry, no problem.

I keep picturing the bloke out of Scooter.

Clive Langham

My wife had her hair cut recently and overheard the hairdresser say that her mother, a woman in her seventies, saw Gilmour walking down by the seafront and approached him, saying, shyly, "Mr. Gilmour, I'm sorry to bother you, but I just wanted you know your music has really meant a lot to me."
Gilmour slow-clapped her, said sarcastically "well good for you!" and stomped off.

What a cunt, eh?

spamwangler

this is one of the best threads on cab.

anyone else noticed that mike keneally looks like a david gilmour and dan harmon teleporter mishap?

Phil_A

Quote from: spamwangler on July 02, 2018, 09:27:19 PM
this is one of the best threads on cab.

anyone else noticed that mike keneally looks like a david gilmour and dan harmon teleporter mishap?

Looks a bit Dickish also.

Shaky

Quote from: Clive Langham on July 02, 2018, 08:56:46 PM
My wife had her hair cut recently and overheard the hairdresser say that her mother, a woman in her seventies, saw Gilmour walking down by the seafront and approached him, saying, shyly, "Mr. Gilmour, I'm sorry to bother you, but I just wanted you know your music has really meant a lot to me."
Gilmour slow-clapped her, said sarcastically "well good for you!" and stomped off.

What a cunt, eh?

I'm not calling your wife's hairdresser's mother a liar, but that sounds suspiciously like one of those made up things. More likely he largely ignored her.

TheMonk

Quote from: Shaky on July 03, 2018, 12:20:26 AM
I'm not calling your wife's hairdresser's mother a liar, but that sounds suspiciously like one of those made up things. More likely he largely ignored her.
He's hardly the type to say much more than "well, good for you". His general tone could be mistaken for sarcasm. There's no way he stood there and slow clapped though.

Quote from: TheMonk on July 03, 2018, 11:19:15 AM
He's hardly the type to say much more than "well, good for you". His general tone could be mistaken for sarcasm. There's no way he stood there and slow clapped though.

Maybe he was imitatiing Nick Masons drum style. Clap/Clap/Clap-Clap/Clap

wosl

I'm also calling bollocks on the particulars of this story.  I can't picture Gilmour 'stomping off' to get anywhere, whether on foot or on guitar.

Clive Langham

Quote from: TheMonk on July 03, 2018, 11:19:15 AM

I dunno - maybe he was having a bad day.
I have heard good things about him too - I have a posh friend who sends her kids to the local private school. Some years back they went on a play date with a classmate after school and were delivered back to her house by the classmate's dad - Mr. Gilmour. She described him as "chummy" and "pleasant."

I sort of think the slow clap thing must be true because it's so oddly specific and bizarre. I can understand someone making up that he started swearing, or got his bodyguard to beat them up, or dropped his trousers and started wanking or something like that, because that's the sort of behaviour one expects from rock stars, but standing there slow clapping an elderly woman is so utterly not the sort of thing you'd expect Dave Gilmour to do that I reckon he must have done it. I mean, if she made it up, how did she alight upon that one, weird detail?

Clive Langham

Quote from: wosl on July 03, 2018, 05:35:00 PM
I'm also calling bollocks on the particulars of this story.  I can't picture Gilmour 'stomping off' to get anywhere, whether on foot or on guitar.
I added the "stomped off" bit as an embellishment, as the hairdresser didn't specify the way in which he left. He might have moseyed for all I know.

spamwangler

Slowly moonwalked away down the street, never breaking his gaze, clapping at slower and slower intervals

shh

His disciple Steven Wilson's not bad looking for 50.

He's certainly aged well...

...considering he used to look like that women from the 'I want cookie' song

Gilmour's the one in Floyd who always sorted out Syd's royalties and made sure Syd was okay financially isn't he? Seems a pretty decent bloke (even though he did sort of steal his old mate's role in the band).

The 80's were a cruel, cruel time to many formerly good looking and cool people in music so Dave's not alone in feeling it's painful sting. I'm a fan of Weller's 80's descent from hip 60's inspired modernist into wacky highlights and boat shoes with no socks, shorts-clad walking fashion disaster zone.

Timmy Mallet on tambourine