Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The games of Donkey Kong, the gorilla

Started by Kelvin, April 29, 2018, 11:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on April 30, 2018, 03:00:19 PM
Was this one ever bettered?

No that's the one. Unfortunetly I left mine in front of the central heating and it melted :(

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on April 30, 2018, 09:28:08 PM
I do actually like him, but I don't think it's for reasons of quality. He's rubbish.

What's the R&M reference?

Apparently his 'my wife is going to kill me!' line was a nod to their dog character -  although I'm basing that off something I read in a games magazine 20 years ago, and which might not even be true, considering how widespread that phrase is.

garbed_attic

Donkey Conga made 'Tubthumping' palatable for me. It is as though it were written specially for the game.

I also have fond memories of my younger brother reciting the DK Rap by heart.

NoSleep

Quote from: darby o chill on April 30, 2018, 10:26:52 PM
The TI-99/4A port of original DK was lovely. It had the pie factory level that was missing from other machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6Q7s_ev8A

I've seen that pie factory on other versions I'm sure (I've never played the TI version, either). I'm pretty certain it was on the Atari cart of DK for the Atari 400/800.

EDIT: Doesn't seem so. Maybe I'm remembering all the time I played DK on the arcade version (which would still have been much less than the number of times played on the Atari 400).

darby o chill

^ it's on the C64 port but it's dead slow. There's a homebrew on the ZX80 that's pretty good all things considered.

magval

Thread title has made me do a stupid guffaw in work. Well done.

Donkey Kong Game Boy is one of the best games ever. Enjoy playing it on Retropie to this day. Amazing soundtrack.

I remember getting it for Christmas and spending ages worried my new Game Boy was busted because I couldn't get DK to move. The realisation that you play as Mario was one of the earliest "holy fuck"s I can ever remember.

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on May 01, 2018, 01:13:58 PM
Thread title has made me do a stupid guffaw in work. Well done.

It's a good thread title but it really should have been 'Donkey Kong (gorilla game)', in the same vein as 'Jaws (shark film)'.  The latter still makes me laugh, every time that I think of it.

magval

That's fabulous as well, what is its context?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

St_Eddie

Quote from: magval on May 01, 2018, 03:05:20 PM
That's fabulous as well, what is its context?

Some fella, upon this very forum, described the movie Jaws, as 'Jaws (shark film)'.  It was unclear whether said description was ironic or not, which only served to make it funnier.  I love the thought of someone feeling the need to clarify which 'Jaws' they were referring to, much less to do so in such a blunt manner.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on May 01, 2018, 03:23:31 PM
The Kongs (2018)

The Klumps (2000).

madhair60

Yeah that was me, madhair60. Another reason why I'm the "creme de la CaB".

Anyway, related, just came in here to say Tropical Freeze is well boring. It's gorgeous looking and sounding but the levels are just rote and dull. I fell asleep playing it on two occasions, though that may have been diabetes.

Kelvin

It don't think the level design is boring at all. It's certainly more imaginative that any of the New Super Mario Bros side scrollers. Far denser, far more varied.

I think the problem is that it's quite hard, so it can feel a bit stop and start, stop and start. The new Funky mode sounds like it fixes this with much more health, better jumps etc. Things that might take the edge off some of the levels, but will also give the experience more fluidity.

madhair60

Donkey Kong the gorilla Country game ranking

Donkey Kong the gorilla Country 2: Diddy Kong the gorilla's (son of Donkey Kong the gorilla) Kong Quest
Donkey Kong the gorilla Country
Donkey Kong the gorilla Country Returns
Donkey Kong the gorilla Country Tropical Freeze
Donkey Kong the gorilla Country 3: Dixie Kong the gorilla's (girlfriend of Diddy Kong the gorilla son of Donkey Kong the gorilla) Double trouble

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on May 03, 2018, 12:41:07 PM
It don't think the level design is boring at all. It's certainly more imaginative that any of the New Super Mario Bros side scrollers. Far denser, far more varied.

Nah it's all the same thing mate. Play Returns and you've played Freeze except with less SHIT water levels that cunts keep putting in platformers even though nobody on the entire planet likes them.

Realistically if I hadn't played Returns I'd probably love it. I just find it that little bit wanting for various reasons. I feel like we may have had this conversation before though.

New Super Mario Bros is brilliant, the game feel, the momentum, the level design, it's just glorious. Then people don't like it because it's not got levels made out of ham, or whatever

Donkey Kong Country's water levels are worth it just for the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAPpVplHiDE

madhair60

Here's the lyrics to that song though

Fucking hell
this level's so fucking shit I
wish I was
doing normal platforming

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on May 03, 2018, 12:51:50 PM
Here's the lyrics to that song though

Fucking hell
this level's so fucking shit I
wish I was
doing normal platforming

DK! Don-key Kong!

Quote from: Twed on April 30, 2018, 03:50:31 PM
DKC and sequel are great games that deserve their place in the gaming hall of fame, but Yoshi's Island is a beautiful timeless piece of art, and with better (if less immediate) gameplay.
I must admit to not having played Yoshi's Island, despite being well aware of its reputation and having the ROM in a massive emulation bundle for ages. This thread has inspired me to finally play it.

madhair60

Kelvin

Yeah, Yoshi's, the dinosaur's Island is brilliant.

biggytitbo

Yoshi (the dinosaur)'s Island is my favourite 2d platformer, closely followed by Super Mario (the plumber) World, with a shout out to James Pond (the robotic cod) : Robocod.

remedial_gash

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 03, 2018, 06:50:48 PM
Yoshi (the dinosaur)'s Island is my favourite 2d platformer, closely followed by Super Mario (the plumber) World, with a shout out to James Pond (the robotic cod) : Robocod.

Yoshi's Island is epic, played it from start to finish on zsnes or some emulator about 5 years ago and it remains one of my most enjoyable experiences of all time.

Despite paying full price for Robocod on release (christmas money at virgin megastore) and enjoying it to a moderate extent, James Pond II is wholly unsuited for a one button setup.

The head extend on fire, press and up to jump thing was doomed on a one button joystick setup. The repeated backgrounds were dull and some of it was just impossible to navigate due to the generic looking levels - candy canes everywhere.

Although at the time I was convinced it was the best money 13 year old me ever wasted.

Just realised that it was on consoles too - so the up 'up to jump' wouldn't have been such an arse as on the Amiga.

Robocod is a load of old toot. In addition to being repetitive, the graphics are just kind of ugly and lacking in style. It's a useful game to look at if you want to see why Nintendo are so good.

biggytitbo

No it's not in the same class but I just have a lot of affection for it. Interesting Robocod fact, it also came out on the C64.

madhair60

Robocod is great. Level design is strong with loads of secrets to find. Obviously it's not Mario but nothing is.

Except Mario obviously that is Mario.

madhair60

There's nothing else to do in any game.

Twed

Just pretend all of every game is forbidden.

madhair60

Maybe all of the games that you think have no secrets are just really, really good at hiding them.