Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,313
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

John Mulaney - Kid Gorgeous

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 30, 2018, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

New special filmed at Radio City Music Hall drops on The Netflix tomorrow https://twitter.com/mulaney/status/979027177952837638?s=21

I love Mulaney and I've heard fantastic things about this new hour.

up_the_hampipe

Excellent special. Well shot, beautiful lighting and set design, brilliantly crafted material delivered with unwavering energy. Going to be hard to top that one this year I think. Mulaney is really nipping at the heels of some of today's greats, especially after Louis CK was knocked out of the race.

Thewaddler

It's brilliant and aimed squarely at a big audience. But sometimes, I did miss the presence of Nick Kroll stood next to him being slightly nastier.

kidsick5000

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 01, 2018, 08:31:58 PM
especially after Louis CK was knocked out of the race.

Knocked one out of the race.
Tossed himself off the racecard.
Etc etc

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, but what about this special though? It's good.

Fry

Really good, I don't think it reached the heights of "New in Town" but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. That set looked beautiful on a big ol' TV, and this may be the first time I've actually noticed the direction on a stand-up special (in a positive way). Mulaney is probably my favourite working stand-up at the moment.

selectivememory

I've seen clips of this guy before which have always made me crack up, so I'll check this special out later. Thanks for the heads up.

sevendaughters

not wanting to be a dick but the old stuff I have seen of this guy made him seem like a very very professional circuit comedian. kinda toothless, almost like a corporate comedian, in the expensive suit, trying to fill an updated Seinfeld role in society, bland and handsome, objectively solidly-written jokes but politically agnostic and a delivery like a drink of water. so, aside from being well-shot, what about this is real knockout? gen. question.

ieXush2i

up_the_hampipe

Ornlu

Great stuff. Doesn't beat New in Town but better than The Comeback Kid. Loved the Horse Loose in a Hospital bit.

selectivememory

Loved it. Will have to check out his other specials.

The Mick Jagger stuff and the horse in the hospital bit were the ones that got me the most.

What an amazing venue as well.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: selectivememory on May 03, 2018, 10:01:44 PM
What an amazing venue as well.

Yeah, Radio City Music Hall is stunning. I'm surprised more comics don't film their specials there. Must be very expensive.

Dr Rock

Excellent stuff. This, Mr Gervais, is how you do a comedy special.

Mr Faineant

I found his projecty performance voice a bit unnatural and annoying. That aside, good. I had tickets to see this last October, but couldn't go on the end. Glad it was released.

Neomod

I'm sure I've heard half that act before but can't think where. Maybe podcasts and interviews or summat.

Enjoyable never the less.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Neomod on May 04, 2018, 05:56:52 PM
I'm sure I've heard half that act before but can't think where. Maybe podcasts and interviews or summat.

A hazard of taking an interest in a comedian.
It was like seeing Nick Kroll do 70s eating in Oh Hello On Broadway, just weeks after seeing him do it on Conan.

Steven

anthony jeselnik dyes his hair?

Blue Jam

checkoutgirl

Never heard of this guy before but that was great. I've watched it twice now and gave New In Town a go too but this is clearly superior. Great material and fantastic stage craft.

Street Smarts!!

zevons1958

I have never heard of him before as well, beats Humanity.  Really enjoyed will check out his other stuff.

Twit 2

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 03, 2018, 07:37:17 PM
For those who watched, turns out the absurd Detective J.J. Bittenbinder is a real person http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/oh-hello-john-mulaneys-street-smarts-detective-is-real.html

That's great. Really liked the special and the Bittenbinder routine was the highlight. It's only rated as 2 stars on Netflix, whassatallabout? Also, is he just camp in the way that most American accents end up sounding or is he just a gay man with a wife? Not that it matters either way, it was just a bit confusing, especially with the prancing.

Jack Shaftoe

He has a whole routine about the 'how come he's not gay then?' thing on New In Town, I won't spoil it, but it's pretty good.

Twit 2

Ah ok. I realise he's amping up his performance for such a big crowd, too: his style is more contained in the smaller gigs, by the look of it.

Twit 2

I watched The Comeback Kid (also on Netflix) and it was even better.

Ferris

Enjoyed this, despite expecting not to. It was very polished and relied on some old tropes ("I'm Irish so I do X..." mate, you're American), but well executed and the JM is very likeable.

8/10, 'horse in a hospital' was great.