Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Handmaid's Tale (Season 2)

Started by brat-sampson, April 30, 2018, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brat-sampson

This restarted last week with a two-fer. I've only seen the first one but christ, still gripping terrifying television. Now they're going off-book they're obviously a lot more open to criticism and there's a worry that they'll go full TV, needing to heighten the excitement and conflict and Extreme nature of it all, but it seems like the showrunners have a good grasp on the story they want to tell and how that'll extend out from what was basically just a well-explored horrific thought experiment in S1.

Style and performances are all still top notch and yeah, I'll be in for the whole run from the start this time.

KennyMonster

It doesn't air here in the UK until next week (20th May)

thraxx

I seen a lot of bleak horrible programmes but I think this one takes the biscuit, in terms of fiction.  Unrelenting and brutal, I can't stop watching but I can't wait until it's finished.  Lost count of how many times it's made me feel sick, like being punched in the stomach.

bgmnts

Is this as good as Y The Last Man? Because if so I will give it a check out.

Twed

Custard

So me and Mrs Custard have finally got round to checking this out, and have spent the past 3 weeks or so getting caught up.

I gotta say, I kinda love it. Just the right side of mentalness, and although it's insanely bleak, it's becoming unmissable.

Solid cast, namely Peggy Mad Men, Aunt Lydia, and the wifey. And I never really know where it's going, so thankfully it makes for some gripping television.

Though I read the showrunner fancies making ten seasons, which just sounds ridiculous. It's a three, four season show, tops. Least the Stranger Things lot know this about their own show

Isnt Anything

Ive been trying not to watch too much of this as its just too bleak for my tender fragile soul but Mrs Anything is a fan.

But i just had to come on here to say that although i loved the ending to tonights episode (2.6) i couldnt believe how utterly shite its CGI was for such a big budget production. plus the actors we saw in the last shot should have been told to move very differently to match the CGI effect (being deliberately vague here in case you couldnt tell). took away from the impact of the moment.

Ferris

Mrs Ferris likes it but I'm not a fan. It's filmed on Toronto's East Side so I enjoy spotting locations though. The lobby of our apartment building was used as a dystopian processing centre, and the kids playground near the shops doubled as "Little America" so that's cool.

Bit bleak for me though.

Z

Most obvious twist ever there, wasn't it?

Also really stunk of a "they'll undo most these big changes at the start of next season" vibe

good times

I'm finding this season incredibly tedious. A lot of the last few episodes (only up to ep 8 in the UK) have been fairly mournful slow burners where not very much happens up until the last few minutes.

If it weren't set in Gilead you could be watching some shit day time drama half the time. Or worse, latter era Orange is the New Black.

The flashbacks have been the most interesting part but even these are starting to drag this season.

Having read the book I was intrigued about seeing the Colonies in the show but that storyline properly dragged and didn't really add anything.

The storyline between June and Serena has been the most interesting aspect of the show but is let down by how inconsistent the characterisation is for Serena. I get she's conflicted and it's a complex situation but there's not much light and shade - hard to tell if its weak writing or acting.

Dex Sawash

The movie was shot in Michael Peterson's house in Durham and included a scene on the murder/accident staircase. Assuming this tv show is related to that film, and that anyone cares.

Isnt Anything

Fuck me that was bleak (2.10).

I really enjoyed 7 and 8, 9 it started to turn, but 10 left me alternately wanting to throw up or top myself.

mrs anything didnt enjoy it very much either

kalowski

Quite a good final episode until the fucking stupid ending. Hopefully they'll just hang her in the middle of the square as an example.